ZEO sleep manager

I read in another discussion that some of you are using the Zeo sleep manager. I considered getting one too, but was quite put off by the bad reviews for it on Amazon. It seems that very often it doesn't work and that customer service is really bad. Can you tell me about your experiences with Zeo?

Posted 15 Apr 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 14 comments
  • 3 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

I have a Zeo. I found the insights and detail it gives you on the four phases of sleep really interesting, and often the length of time you've been asleep vs what you remember is different. It certainly seems far more accurate than the sleep activity record by the FitBit (when i was comparing).

Downside is that you have to have it on quite tight to keep it in place so it doesn't become dislodged during the night. Also if you have long hair (like me) i find it sticks to the hair fine but the 'top sheet of hair' itself can move up and down meaning it slides up and off the head sometimes. There are however details of how to do you hair on the site to keep it better in place, but i hadn't got to that yet. (Wasn't keen on sleeping with my hair up.)

If you have enough money to buy it out of interest then it is a very detailed information / data gathering tool. I think though that sometimes having it strapped to your head does mean it's harder to sleep as you're conscious of it, and it's a bit tight! ;) If you have short hair i'd say it'd be easier to use, and easier to 'ignore' while trying to sleep.

If you're a person without sleep troubles then it would be a fascinating data gathering tool. If you're having trouble sleeping it's probably not something you'd want to wear for months on end.

There is however detailed advice on what to do to affect your sleep tailored exactly to the type of brain waves you were exhibiting at what times, and for how long during the night – the advice varies from night to night. So it does allow you to know the amount of restorative sleep you have had, and gradually build it up over time.

I think it's worth a shot to have a go with it, because if it's of help, and allows you to understand the exact nuances of your sleep patterns, then that's wonderful information to be armed with.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi mwidl,
    Lots of people here on the page link below chatting about their Zeo experiences. All very positive indeed. Takes the stress out of remembering details for your sleep diary.

http://www.sleepio.com/community/discussion/how-accurate-does-my-sleep-diary-need-to-be/

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you very much Nicky for your detailed response. It sounds much better to me now. I am scheduled to use a mobile sleep laboratory from my neurologist, which will cost me EUR 150 for one night. That somehow relativizes the (still somewhat high) price for the Zeo. I might try it.

• Sleepio Member

• 31 comments
    • 15 helped
    Graduate

I find the Zeo to be extremely helpful. While using it I don't have to pay much attention to when I am awake or was asleep, which really reduces my stress about the whole sleep thing. Others may not be so concerned as me about trying to figure out what actually went on the night before, or to filling out the Sleep Diary afterwards.
    And sometimes you find out you slept a whole lot better than you thought you did!
    I often learn interesting things about how I slept that can help me strategize how to sleep better in the future.
    I would agree that sometimes the Zeo slips out of place, or malfunctions for some reason. That is bothersome mostly because I so rely on it. But just think, if you lose a night of data, you are really just back to where you would have been without a Zeo to start with! For me (with short hair) it malfunctions maybe once every 5 or 6 times.
    My Zeo was bought through Groupon for a mere US$40, although it is a version for iPads, and I believe doesn't have as many services/support with it as the regular version.
    Many people sell used Zeos on eBay, or even Craigslist.
    It has really been a useful tool for me.

• Sleepio Member

• 585 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Forgive me if this is an ignorant comment, but I have used the app Sleep Cycle, and I place my smart phone under the bottom sheet near the pillow and set it. It records my nights sleep and wakes me up at a selected time. There is nothing fixed to me, which I, personally, would find impossible to sleep with (and I have short hair!) The stored data gives full details of depths and lengths of various stages of sleep etc. oh. And by the way, it is free.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Marigold: I have been using Sleep as Android for a couple of months now, it's not free but really inexpensive. Uses the phone's accelerometer. I suppose Sleep Cycle works similar.

With Zeo or something the like I am hoping to get more accurate data.

Those who are using Zeo: Is it true the sensor has to be replaced every three months? (like they say here http://www.myzeo.com/sleep/shop/) I looked into the whole Zeo thing again, and I would really really like to have something that works like that. However, rumours are that Zeo is out of business, so no more support at all. The sensor replacements can't be ordered any more. If I find a very good offer, I may risk it though.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I looked for Sleep cycle and found several options. Can you tell me which one you are using, as it sounds good, Ginger

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I considered buying a device but read in several comments that they'd gone out of business. Wikipedia lists that as a false rumor but without any backing up.

Posting on their forum is 'currently unavailable for maintenance', so I'd do some checking whether they're still alive before buying anything. Otherwise you may have a support issue later on.

(And apart from their business status it was hard to tell if their device would be more accurate than a phone app or a wrist based tracker).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeo,_Inc.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

And their last company tweet was in December. Doesn't look to well I'd say.

https://twitter.com/Zeo

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

That's a shame really. Overall I had a good impression of that company (also older amazon reviews stating that despite the bugs, they were really there for the customers, providing fixed, good communication, etc.) and I would really really like their product. With the company being so suspiciously quiet, I will stick with Sleep as Android for now. Who knows, maybe they'll recover.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

Unfortunately, the company went bankrupt. The market for high-end products may not be ready yet..

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Here is a good article about the current status of Zeo: http://mobihealthnews.com/20772/exclusive-sleep-coach-company-zeo-is-shutting-down/

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I have a Zeo, and I quite like it. You do have to take the data with a slight grain of salt, but I find it more “accurate” and detailed than the Jawbone UP based data.

Zeo is out of business. You can still buy new Zeo units on eBay, and the mobile app still works (though you should check to see if it's still available before buying a unit).

A downside is that Zeo recommends replacing the headband after 90 nights, and with the company out of business, doing so will become harder to do. The headband has the sensors, and, apparently, the sensors start wearing down leading to incorrect data.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I've had a Zeo headband for about 2.5 months. I use it every night and I've had no problems with it – though it did take some getting used to, wearing it round my head. I bought it because, although I have a fitness tracker I bought at Aldi, I thought this would give me clearer results – and it does. In the mornings, I'm able to see clearly my pattern of wake, light sleep and deep sleep and I use this to fill in my sleep diary.

Return to top