Your thoughts on the Sleepio Library

The Sleepio Library has a wealth of knowledge in expert articles and guides, but Professor Espie and Team would like to know what YOU find most useful? Please also share with us any suggestions you have for improving that area!

Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 9:44 PM
  • 20 comments
  • 10 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 184 helped
    Graduate

Hi Prof and Sleepio Team.
    I love having the Sleepio Library at my fingertips :)
    It has reintroduced me to more detail about subjects, also reminding me of things I have forgotten!
    It’s great to be able to nip in whenever I need a refresher.
    I think in the first few weeks of sleepio there is such a lot to take in, (and not being a very techie person) I didn’t go through as much of the information as I do now.
    It is helpful to have so much there to point new sleepios in the right direction too.
    I think having access to all the Sessions and so much more, is brilliant – when we get poor sleep, we cannot remember everything we have learnt or other problems that might have arisen and it is great to be able to do some research using scientific based articles that we can trust.
    Thank you,
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

I totally agree with Kurly. When I went through the program, there was so much material presented each week that before I could fully learn or apply it, we'd be off to a new week and more new material. It is nice to be able to dip into the library to learn more about a specific topic and revisit tips and techniques that I may not have fully absorbed during the program.

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

Hello the Prof and Sleepio team.

I use the Library a lot even in the beginning when there was so much information to take on board. I have found it useful to go over topics and the sessions for myself if I’m having a particular problem. I have gone back over SR and QHR recently.

I have been trying to help people who are new to the course. Going back over the sessions, techniques and articles refreshes my memory so it is useful as it helps me to help others. I do tell people who I help to go over the sessions and to use the tools and the library themselves.

One of the things that I have been asked by new Sleepios is ‘How do I fill in the Sleep Diary when I do Shift work?’ I have looked in the Library at articles even the article about Shift Work on the Home page of Sleepio and gone into discussions but I couldn’t find any information even under How to: Fill in your Sleep Diary in the Library. I had to tell them to ask the Live Doctor. Can this be put into the library and in to Session 1 Your Sleep Diary? I’m not a shift worker so I didn’t know if Shift workers have a different Sleep Diary to us and if they have a video like us in session one showing how to use the Sleep Diary for Shift Work. I assumed they didn’t as they wouldn’t be asking otherwise.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell you what I have found useful and making suggestions.
    LoM.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Hello to the Sleepio Team!
    I use the library quite a lot. It may just be me, but I try to learn as much as I can about a subject when I delve in, especially one that affects me to the core like insomnia. It helps a lot to know that others suffer or have suffered similarly, and that there is hope based on experience and science.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Hi team,
    I agree that the library is an excellent resource. I used it a lot in the first few months, and still dip in and out from time to time. Most of the articles are really helpful, but some are a little too short and general – so feel a bit less satisfying. unfortunately as I write this I can not think of a recent example! If I find one I will let you know. Really helpful to have the sessions available, although it took me a while to realise they were there.

• Sleepio Member

• 23 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

I found the library very helpful at the beginning and I still do into it every now and then. I like the fact that the articles are short and to the point.
    Maybe you could signpost further reading in the related articles section for those who are interested?
    I like having the clips from the sessions available, but sometimes I have wanted to rewatch whole sessions and you can't do that.
    Thank you for all that you guys do!
    LizK

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 8 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Administrator

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions so far! We really appreciate all the feedback, and it'll be very helpful as we make updates to existing articles and create new ones.

In the meantime, LoM, in regards to how a member can fill out their diary when working shift work – at the end of their sleep window (their morning) they'd fill out the diary card for that day with the sleep from their 'last night', and it is meant to be filled out with our actual sleep.

For example, say last night I worked third shift and this morning I got into bed at 7am, tried to get to go to sleep at 7:30am, and fell to sleep at 8:15am. I wake up twice in the night for 15 minutes each, I slept until 4:30pm and got out of bed at 5pm. I'd record these in today's diary card (April 21st) as 'Last night's' sleep:

Last night…
    Going to bed
    What time did you get into bed? 7:00am
    What time did you try to go to sleep? 7:30am
    How long did it take you to fall asleep? 45 minutes

During the night
    How many times did you wake up during the night? 2
    In total, how long did these awakenings last? 30 minutes

Getting up
    What time was your final awakening? 4:30pm
    What time did you get out of bed? 5:00pm

I hope this helps clarify in regards to shift work, until we have an official update to the articles and guides!

Keep the suggestions coming, they're super-helpful!

Thanks again,

Shanna
    +++
    Sleepio Team

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 184 helped
    Graduate

Hi Shanna,
    That’s really helpful as there are often new sleepios here asking the same question and I’ve often referred them to the article in the library but it didn’t seem to help. So then I’ve asked other sleepios (who I know have done shift work) to pop over to the new person’s profile to help. Sadly there aren’t that many here on shift work to ask. But now I have the notes above. Thank you, Shanna.
    Best wishes
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

Thanks Shanna, thanks all. Interested to know how we could structure the library better? It seems that the content is useful

• Sleepio Member

• 121 comments
    • 42 helped
    Graduate

With so much drivel and pseudo science out on there in the wide web, it is good to have somewhere to turn to that can be trusted.

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

Hi Shanna. Thanks for the example of how a Shift worker fills out a Sleep Diary. I will now be able to give out an example myself or tell them to go to Your Thoughts on the Sleepio Library.

Kind Regards.

LoM.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

I really like and appreciate having such a good quality library of resources. There is a lot to absorb so going back in our own time to refresh and review is valuable.

To make it even better, it would be so great to have the 6 tutorial sessions somewhere on there so we can go back and re-watch them.

PK

• Sleepio Member

• 121 comments
    • 42 helped
    Graduate

If you look at the menu column at the top left of the library page, you can click on each session then you will see “watch again” underneath the little screen images. So you can watch any section you choose rather than the whole session in one go.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Thanks P99.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

There is a good quality library, but I I would like to find the references of some articles.

• Sleepio Member

• 32 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

I have found the library really useful now after graduating as a refresher. I didn't really use it at all during the course as I was completely sleep obsessed, sleep deprived and focused on my own experience! It seemed like information overload.
    However, on reflection it would have been good to realise I could watch bits of the course again that week, or be signposted to an article. Maybe a mid week email making pinpointing a relevant article would be a good idea?

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

There is general information in the library about a number of mental health conditions, but nothing about how they relate to using Sleepio or the process of it. Eg. there is information about the diagnosis and treatment of bipolar disorder, but no mention that it is a contraindication for sleep restriction.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sleepio Team. Just to let you know that I thought that there could be some more information about Epilepsy and the conditions and medications you have to take for it. Just some more information on it and how you can get very tired with only the medication let only the seizures you have with it.
    Just more information and what do you do if you are REALLY tired and need to sleep, and the time window you have on Sleepio etc…
    Thankyou.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Hello! Thank you so much for all these resources!

I think it might be useful to revisit the article on trackers. On its basis I was ready to buy either a Fitbit or a Jawbone. I then spent hours researching the different models, and found a peer reviewed article which essentially suggested most of them are wildly inaccurate (except two, and those only for recording sleep length and not the phases (length). The expert discussion this week also confirmed this.

• Sleepio Member

• 64 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

Might you still have the link to that peer reviewed article? Do you remember which two trackers it thought had some accuracy? Thanks.

Return to top