Your thoughts on the Sleep Diary

We all know completing our Sleep Diary every morning is an important part of the program.

Professor Espie and Team wonder, if you could make any changes to this tool, what would you change and what would you keep? All suggestions are welcome and useful!

We look forward to hearing from you!

Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 9:45 PM
  • 79 comments
  • 61 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I just started the program last week and I've been filling in my sleep diary every day. Prior to learning about Sleepio I came across other sleep diaries and had been filling one out for 6 weeks already (from a nationally recognized institution) and I've noticed a few differences. I was being asked to log additional information each day including: medications, exercise, naps, type of day (i.e. work, vacation, etc.) alcohol, and caffeine. All these things can certainly affect your sleep so I'm wondering why they aren't included here. I've been accounting for these things with the available tags and in my comment/note section each day. On a very personal note, you might want to consider including a tag for those of us suffering our way through menopausal night interruptions. The “temperature” tag seems to refer only to the bedroom's actual temperature, not my internal combustion…

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 5 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thank you so much!

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

You can add your own tags! I have the same menopause issue. It’s tough at times.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

I'm finding the sleep diary difficult. Last night I was awake from 1:15, never got back to sleep, but it'll only allow final waking time from 3 am so it looks like I got more sleep than I had. I wish I could sleep till 3am !!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Im on week 3. Last night I went to bed and fell asleep for about 2 hours. I then woke up and was awake for a while so went downstairs for a while. Came back to bed and still couldn't sleep so got up again and was awake for the night. How do you record periods awake and out of bed? Or do you just treat them as if you were in bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi Kurly and Robert
    Thanks for these replies, I haven't used the community much and I've only just found them, apologies
    I'm now in week 4 and despite lots of successful nights and sleep efficiency of up to 94% at times I'm still really struggling with the QHR on poor nights. I think I get to a point of light sleep when I drift in and out of sleep for a while, then wake up, reckon I've been awake over 15mins and get up. That wakes me up more and it's a bigger hurdle to get back to sleep. It took 2hrs and 2get ups last night :(
    Any ideas?

• Sleepio Member

• 32 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Billybear,
    Sorry you're having rough nights. I would record the time out of bed and in bed awake under the awakenings section – all part of the same “how long did these awakenings last”. In general I would say don't worry too much about the specifics of the Sleep Diary, if you aren't sure how to record a particular night just be consistent – you are comparing one night to another for your benefit.
    Hope this helps,
    Jarabia

• Sleepio Member

• 32 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Wide eyed,
    QHR is the pits, well done for sticking with it. 94% is amazing, you are making real progress – any set backs do feel bad I know. Try to remember the good nights when you are having a bad one.

A couple of things that may help is the Live Doctor (where you post a question on Wed night) has often said if you're awake but not tossing and turning/don't have racing mind/aren't wide awake etc than it's ok to stay in bed longer than 15 mins – that might work for you.

After QHR I always said a mantra to the tune of “I love getting into bed” as I did so, as even if I then had to get out of it, I wanted that moment to be a positive one. I find mantras really useful – you could use mine or make up one to suit you!

If you post on your profile on the Community page more people see your comment/question and will offer support/ideas.
    Jarabia :)

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jarabia
    Thanks for your reply – really helpful. Its hard to remember the good nights when the poor nights seem overwhelming so that's a good reminder.
    I also try to use a mantra 'just relax, it's worked before it will work again', getting it into my routine as I'm going to sleep would make it even better.
    It's also a good idea to post a question to the Live Doctor – I think sometimes I need permission to do what seems right to me.
    Otherwise I'm really pleased with the programme, it feels good to take some control of the situation which had me beat for so long.
    Gotta keep on keeping on :)

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I just finished Week 1, and have found it a bit frustrating that the Sleep Diary times are limited to 15 minute windows. I wrote down my times to the minute, but rounding the times up or down is hard. Especially when the 2 times I entered are within the same time period.

I was also confused about which day I should be recording the times under. I imagine that I should be entering them the next day. So I fill out Friday 6/25's info on Saturday 6/26 after I wake up. Is this correct?

When I went through Session 2 today the system made it sound like I missed a bunch of days, but the only missing day is today. I haven't gone to sleep today- it's noon.

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

Yes, you fill out the sleep diary for the date of the morning when you wake up. Today being Sunday, you should have a diary entry for last night's sleep. Meaning, you went to bed Saturday night, woke up Sunday morning, and fill in your diary on today's date, Sunday June 27th.

If I have trouble with the rounding, I just make sure that my total time in bed and total sleep time are correct within the 15 mins windows they are giving us. I think they don't want people worrying over every minute and clock watching. So if you slept for 7 hrs 7 mins and decide you want to make that 7 hours 15 mins as opposed to 7 hrs, there are no Sleepio police! Just decide what you think is best.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by the two times you entered being within the same time period. You would have to give me your numbers.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Completed course some weeks ago, was told I had made a 30% improvement score 6/10. But this was achieved through working out the correct times on the hours asleep calculation. Since then my score has reverted to 0.9/10. I'm now restricting tea intake, don't take coffee. I don't know whether I should try the sleep restriction, which I didn't do, for how long do I carry om with sleep restriction? I can't stay awake till 11.30 and get up at 5.45 and when I did do that on one occasion had about 3 hours sleep as I couldn't then get to sleep or stay asleep. So I gave up with sleep restriction. All in all the course has not helped me at all and I had already used the various “techniques” to achieve restfulness years before trying Sleepio. Which are imagining yourself on a walk or relaxation techniques.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I don't understand the sleep diary. If I have a very bad night and do not wake up multiple times but just once – hideously early, say, 4am, and never get back to sleep, do I put in that I woke zero times? It's just that sleepio seems to think my sleep efficiency is marvellous when I get out of bed at 4am knowing that I will not get a another wink. I could not give a damn about sleep efficiency if I get a very bad night's sleep. I don't give a damn about a 90% sleep efficiency if I get 3 hours sleep. I don't wake up multiple times. I just wake up after far too little sleep and cannot get back to bed. Sleepio sleep diary doesn't seem to think this a problem. IT seems to underplay my problem. So I am not sure it is helping me

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

Yes, you do put in zero for your number of wake times in this situation!

If you want to view your progress, go to your case file tab. There you will find your average sleep time for the previous week, as well as how you are doing compared to your goals. If you set as your goal that you want to sleep longer each night, every week you'll get a symbol (up arrow, down arrow or equals sign) that lets you know how you're doing since you started, and compared to the week before.

You set your goals during the intake questionnaire and can't change them yourself. So if you didn't set this goal, you'll have to ask tech support if they can change it for you.

Every week the prof will tell you how you're doing on your goals. So this is how Sleepio handles total sleep time.

And yes, you will get praised for high SE even if your total sleep time is too low. Sleepio is a bit weak on helping those of us whose primary problem is waking too early. Getting out of bed, practicing the QHR, and hoping to feel sleepy again does not work for some of us. I ended up reviewing the mindfulness material in Session 4 and then looked outside Sleepio for more help with practicing mindfulness. This has given me a tool to use that works to get me back to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

The sleep diary does not work in relation to the QHR. If I wake, get up for a while, and then go back to bed, there is no way of logging that. If I include the time awake whilst out of bed, then that reduces my sleep efficiency, because it will look as though I'm spending a lot of time in bed awake – but I'm not, because I get up! Whereas sleep efficiency – if I understand it right – is to do with the proportion of time spent in bed awake against the time asleep.

So I end up having to tweak and fudge my diary entry. I know we shouldn't be clock-watching and worrying about the details, but still this seems really counter-intuitive, and works against the emphasis on QHR.

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

t's my understanding that all the time spent awake, even if out of bed to follow the QHR, counts as time that goes in “how long did these awakenings last”. Because they are not time spent asleep.

This has come up a bunch of times in the months I've been here. What I remember is that someone asked during one of the weekly sessions. But I don't know which one.

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/how-to-fill-in-your-sleep-diary/

The instructions in this article don't say that you have to be in bed for the awake time to be logged. This article needs to be more clear about QHR time spent out of bed, as this is such a common question.

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

OK, I just wrote a note to the team, suggesting they clarify this issue in the instructions for the sleep diary.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I try to estimate the best I can the QHR, but often fail miserably. I try to estimate the 15 minutes but sometimes 2-3 hours goes by without me knowing it. Sometimes when I'm doing this, I have dreams so I think I must've been sleeping. Other times I think it could possibly not have been 2-3 hours so I suspect I may be dozing or in/out of sleep. Not sure what to put in the sleep diary in these cases?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

I went to bed, didn’t get to sleep and got up after about 15 mins. The sleep diary does not allow me to record that. In the end, I interpreted ‘How long did it take you to fall asleep?’ as ‘How long did it take you to first get up?’.

I am a worrier. I am already worried about the sleep restriction part of the course (which is still to come). The fact that it might be based on misleading sleep diary information makes my worrying worse.

Could you make the sleep diary better able to record nights like I described?

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

So eventually you did fall asleep? If so, “how long did it take to fall asleep”--that would be all the time between when you first went to bed and when you eventually fell asleep, including time spent in and out of bed.

If you didn't sleep the whole night, there is a box to check for that.

Return to top