Your thoughts on the Case File

Have you used the tools in your Case File? Professor Espie and Team would love to find out from you, what you find most and least helpful about the Case File, and any suggestions you have for making it better!

Posted 16 Apr 2020 at 9:45 PM
  • 36 comments
  • 10 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 184 helped
    Graduate

Hi Professor Espie
    I’m not sure how or if this could be put into effect but when we have completed our Sleep Diary, we can add in sleep tags and comments for the previous day and night's sleep.
    If instead of putting extra tagged words in, what if the main words that we used and repeated in the comments box such as worries, gardening, work, alcohol, exercise, running, different foods, partner's name, children’s names, slept badly, QHR, woke up early/too early; could those words be picked out by the same sort of 'tag' system/algorithm to make ‘clouds' of words that stand out?
    Then after completing however many daily diaries, we could look back and see the most often repeated words which stood out and we would end up with 'themes from our top 10 days in the past 6 weeks and from our bottom 10 days in the past 6 weeks. That way, by seeing the most often used words in a cloud form enlarged or in different colours (the more they are repeated the larger they would appear) we could see what is a trend for our good, or conversely our poor sleep.

Not sure if I’m explaining it very well!!
    Your blue sky thinking reminded me of clouds of words.
    Best wishes
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 23 comments
    • 13 helped
    Graduate

Hello Professor Elspie
    As mentioned in my note above, I would like to be able to see my hours asleep average for my first two weeks on Sleepio on the Case File as a reference to assess my progress rather than just an arrow. I know it's not the whole story because SQ is involved too but I do like hard numbers! And a graph covering one's whole Sleepio experience would be good too.

I can also testify to the helpfulness and fast responses of the Sleepio team.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Prof,

I find the case file a very useful feature.

I use it all expect for tracking devices.

1) I would like the “your progress” to include the option to see the week/month/year/etc view with a toggle button of sorts please. And an additional graph for tracking the ups and down of my goals.

2) “To do list” is great. A facility to add our own additional personalised to do’s would be great if possible please.

3) In Schedule, the ability to toggle around the order of things. E.g. I, like many other sleepios, do the pre-bed tasks before our final relaxation, to save ourselves become king more wakeful after the activity please.

4) Reading list – great. Thank you.

5) sleep report – a chart or graph to see the progression (ups and downs) from when we first started and regular prompts (say monthly) to retake the sleep test and review would be good please.

6) I really like the ability to add and review sleep tags. Great idea. Thanks.

7) A PTDTR section in addition to the thought checker section would be good. (I tend to do the thought checker in my head as I go along in any event.) Please may we have that, so it can act also like a form of daily journal that we can look back on. I think a lot of people would end up using that.

8) love the downloads and appreciate them. Thank you.
    Would be great to have even more if you can think of any. Just love that soothing voice. Can you put some bedtime stories in for us? Just kidding. But… ;)

Thanks for considering all of our ideas.

PK

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

PS, just to add/clarify, to item 1) above, that it would be great to be able to track and see the hrs slept _per night _on a graph that can be viewed over a long or short time span. Seeing the drops and lifts in sleep hrs on a nightly basis, would be really useful to identify specific individual patterns…

Thank you for considering.

PK

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

My feedback is regarding the sleep report. I would be interested to hear back about how the conclusions are constructed, because some of the factors aren't relevant to me.

My lifestyle score is “average” and the recommendations are to lose weight and be more active.
    I am at the lower end of ideal weight, meaning that if I lost any then I would be underweight. I answered the questionnaire to say that I am not overweight.
    I exercise several times a day, aiming for 90 minutes and often achieve more than that. I selected 4+ days for exercise (the maximum), and yet the report says that I am inactive!

Is the sleep report based on the answers given or some kind of comical random generation?

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I've just completed the 4th session and decided to revisit the Sleep Report. The comments under “My Schedule” include, “I see that you seem to have trouble getting to sleep and seem to have trouble staying asleep during the night. As a result your 'sleep efficiency' (the proportion of time in bed that you're asleep) is high.”

Surely that's not what it means to say?

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 184 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Jude,
    Like you and Bonnabelle, I’ve had the same problems on my Sleep Report each time I have updated mine…I’m 'up' On everything but it still tells me I’m not doing well on exercising (I run every other day and exercise each morning on the days in between as well as doing a three to four mile doggits walk!!)
    It also tells me to cut down on alcohol….but for around eight weeks I had none! I’ll email the User Happiness Team and see if they can mention these anomalies to the tech guys.

Best wishes,
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, Kurly, Great to have you on the case.

Best wishes,
    J

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hi. On the case file graph you can see Weekly averages going back a few weeks but not sleep efficiency – that is only the last 7 days. There seems to be no way of seeing how weekly SE has changed. Also, because on the graph they are rolling weeks, they change every day. It would be good to have a weekly view of everything maybe static complete weeks starting from day 1. Hope that makes sense.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

I have just redone the sleep report. Some of the results are bizarre. e.g. Lifestyle cut down caffeine and alcohol. It asks how many days I drink both but not how much or when. I never have either after the recommended times and drink very little of both. Inactivity try to Exercise 2-3 days – I put down 4-5 days.
    The results do not seem to relate to my answers in any of the categories. It seems rather useless doing it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

Hi, the case file has assumed, from the questionnaire when signing up that I have less than two hours sleep a night but the data is wrong. I input that I am in bed at 10pm and wake up once, – usually at 3am (which often lasts until I get up). This gives me 5 hours sleep. I am about to start the sleep diary, but on the basis of the data accumulated, this is going to look like a huge improvement in week 1!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have the very same issue, from a misunderstanding of the questions asked at sign-up. I reported that I wake once during the night (which is technically true), when I ought to have reported that I don't wake during the night but I wake up too early (i.e. waking at 3:00 or 4:00 and unable to get back to sleep). I realize now that waking during the night means waking up and eventually falling asleep again. I trust this only affects the stats, and not the advice and recommendations given.

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

Hi Strawbalelady,

I only use PTDTR during the day and use a Journal. I’d forgotten that some people might do it in the evening. If there was an online one. It would be fine to use as long as people would remember not to do it too near to their bedtime. A minimum of 2 hours before bedtime. The Thought Checker is on here online. I don’t know when people use that.

I have noticed that Putting The Day To Rest (PTDTR) is not in the Case File in Down Load. It has disappeared from the Library as well. Where has it gone?

LoM :)

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi LOMPTDR is in Case File/Tools/Downloads this morning…

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi. I’m new to Sleepio. Just watched session 2. I notice times have been set in my Schedule, which can’t be changed. There have not been any instructions, yet, about sticking to these times, so am not too concerned yet, but the rising time is an hour and a half later than the time I have to get up to get my daughter to school on weekdays.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    I also have a schedule which I didn't set myself and can't be changed.
    This will affect my data as it will show greater efficnecy etc as it shows me as wanting to be up at 5.30- I don't!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Yikes! I misunderstood some of the initial questionnaire and my sleep efficiency is at 6%. Is there a way to go about fixing that? I'm up for about an hour, not in bed for 9 hours and awake for 8!

• Sleepio Member

• 64 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

Welcome to Sleepio! You can edit each sleep diary day. Go to the sleep diary tab. Just click the edit button for each day you want to change. Sadly, at this point you’ll need to do each day individually.

The other option would be to click the envelope icon on the bottom right of the sleep diary page and ask tech support if they can make these changes for you.

Keep in mind the prof only uses the most two recent weeks of diaries when he creates your sleep schedule in session 3, so those first estimated diaries don’t mean much.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I’d also like to be able to view the graph over the entire period that I’ve used the application, not just the most recent week.

I’ve entered data over the many weeks since the course finished. The course has been a useful start but it is taking a long time to make the new habits permanent (you should have seen how many times I had to take my driving test before passing).

There are ups and downs, mostly triggered by external life events, and I don’t reliably apply all the strategies, so I’m there yet.

So, I’m continuing on with recording my sleep and figuring out what I need to change to make an impact.

A graph covering the entire period would be motivational, giving a realistic perspective on my overall progress and these ups and downs.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

How can I reduce the sleep window shown in the application to reflect the amount of time that I actually have available to spend in bed – about 8 hours? It doesn’t appear to let me do this.

I’ve continued using the application since finishing the course as I’m not there yet. I’d like to see how much I can increase my efficiency within that window. The plan would be this: If I’m still falling asleep during the day after maximising my sleep efficiency, then I can work to alter my lifestyle to increase the size of the window.

Return to top