What interests and hobbies do you have?

How about taking five minutes of your time to tell your friends on sleepio all about yourselves? We all know each other & it would be nice to know if we have shared interests.

Posted 2 Apr 2012 at 2:36 PM
  • 81 comments
  • 34 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 213 helped
    Graduate

I have found one priced at £19.90 plus p&p from amazon has usb and card functions
    heres the link….........
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/FREEVIEW-DIGITAL-RECEIVER-RECORDER-Digi-fun%C2%AE/dp/B003YT5XLU/ref=dp_cp_ob_rec-ht_title_0

Yes I loved watching the olympics fantastic too see our team doing so well , great to see athletes from all 4 countries coming together and working so hard to get all the medals

hope this finds you well…All the best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thanks for that Andy. That one is very good value for money!
    I'm feeling quite rough indeed due to med. side-effects over the past few weeks thanks. But don't need to talk about now, really need any distraction possible actually!
    Hence my posting here to you really. So hey, ho mate!

Glad you enjoyed the Olympics too, I couldn't get enough of them! And feel like I'm in a bit of 'withdrawal' now! Hehe! ;-)

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

As there seem to be a number of new folk to Sleepio, I wonder if it might be a help and a bit of light relief to share a little about our interests and hobbies.

I retired in the Spring and since then have been gradually getting a life away from work (which was always time-consuming and left me exhausted, long and very hard days).

I wanted outdoor things, to combine fresh air with exercise, so I returned to playing golf. I play 2/3 times a week and have good and bad days (a bit like the nights really), but I enjoy it and I have met some really nice people.

Also a volunteer for Riding for the Disabled (children aged 5-15), and that really does make me take note and appreciate how fortunate I am to be fit and well. These youngsters are amazing and I have seen at first hand just how much of a posiitive impact their half-hour sessions have on them, really humbling.

Indoors, I read and listen to music (and The Archers) and am house slave to two young black cats.

That's me. What about others?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 213 helped
    Graduate

Hello and thanks for sharing your interests and hobbies this is why I started this topic

Yes you will find you have lots and lots in common with others on the site, I am sure there is another member that also had something to do with riding for the disabled, and regarding Golf I know holiday does a round or two of golf occasionally

Fantastic how you and others take the time to help disabled folk especially children, yes it is humbling, keep it up and perhaps posting on your profile will attract others of a similar ilk, just in case it gets missed here

take care of yourself…...Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Andy, I take your point about posting some of the above to my profile. It is interesting to know how others use up their leisure time.

Hope things are OK with you meantime.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 213 helped
    Graduate

Yes Im fine thanks for asking had a fantastic sleep last night albeit in blocks, I am taking up photography as I have heaps of time on my hands due to being disabled, things not good stewing about it at home

yes life isn't all about sleep although it pays a big part but it's nice to hear what others are interested in , if you scroll to the top of the page you will see “show older posts” , you can see from there other peoples interests

take care of yourself and have a great weekend!

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

Good to hear that you had a good night last night, Andy; a real blessing. Long may it continue.

I also dabble a bit with photography, maybe not as much as I had hoped, but the countryside is getting so colourful now that it just begs for a lens. Good luck with it and you, too, have a good weekend.

• Sleepio Member

• 1932 comments
    • 444 helped
    Graduate

Where do you play golf R&D and do you have handicap yet, doesn't really matter it's a game to enjoy,

• Sleepio Member

• 765 comments
    • 265 helped
    Graduate

Hello RAG I did post on your profile so feel I 'know' you. I too help at RDA and as you say it is great what we get back from the help we give. Always the same really, you get out what you put in. I tried to have a go at golf, my husband plays, unfortunately although it seemed I could be quite good (ha ha) I get fixed fingers which are alarming when you try to let go of the bat (I call it that to annoy my husband) and quite painful too. I think I might just take it up again if we move to a town rather than here in a lovely rural place. Anyway, nice to talk to you, tell us more.

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

Golf is a strange old game – I play for pleasure and the exercise and fresh air. It's good company too, although I do enjoy a solitary round – where I seem to play better.

RDA is quite new to me and, like you, I find it very rewarding. I couldn't do what these youngsters do and I admire their courage.

Hope the rest of the weekend is good for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 213 helped
    Graduate

Great to see you all having similar interests and hobbies, I think what you guys do for the disabled youngsters and young adults is fantastic

we are very proud of you…......Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

I`m new to Sleepio, have only completed session 1 so far. Everyone seems to be so supportive, but it is great to hear about what else we may have in common apart from insomnia! I retired early from a stressful job and set about developing a daytime social life. I have 2 dogs who I can walk in daylight instead of in the dark after work in the winter months, nothing better on a bright frosty day. Has anyone tried beadwork?

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I retired from a very stressful and all consuming job that left me with little time to do anything, although I have always made sure I exercise and swim, ran and went to the gym so that I could take part in long distance swimming and running events. Sadly my left hip no longer lets me run but I keep up swimming and cycling. Since retiring I have become involved in The Cinnamon Trust – I walk an elderly lady's dog as she no longer can; have become a school governor; really enjoy gardening and wildlife watching; trundle around exploring the UK in a caravan and help look after my elderly Mum and 2 delightful toddler grandchildren. Mostly have the energy for it but the poor sleep does get in the way sometimes.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I used to run and I loved it, especially fell running – that was amazing. Unfortunately, one knee has developed arthritis because of several earlier operations so I've had to stop and nothing I've tried has come close. I sometimes go for a walk in the evening as this gentle exercise and fresh air can help a lot when you're trying to settle your mind down for the night. Meditation for 10 minutes or so is part of my regular routine now and that certainly helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi to you all. Ive just finished session 5 on sleepio and i have found it useful at times. As well as having sleeepless nights i suffer on and off with depression and an eating disorder and i have good and bad days. My passion is photography which ive had as a hobby for many years. I got my first slr camera last Christmas and my passion and drive has come back. Last week i decided to get away for a few days on my own as thIngs were getting me down. I have never flown either and decided to book a few days in Dublin. I felt relaxed liberated and free, plus it gave me a chance to explore somewhere new with my camera. In the two days i was there i managed to explore most of the city and museums and gallerys and took many photos. Im also doing a diploma in photography and some of my photos im going to use for my submissions. All in all i was doing something i enjoyed and felt positive. The icing on the cake was as i was so relaxed and comfortable i had the best two nights sleep in my hotel that i have had in years .

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sophie,

Lovely to hear about your trip to Dublin and that you have indulged your passion for photography. If everyone could manage to fit into their day, some hobby time, I'm sure we would feel happier and relaxed and sleep better.

• Sleepio Member

• 96 comments
    • 19 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sophie71, pleased you're re discovering your hobby. It's very easy to get caught up in our busy lives and get into the mindset that we have to be busy “doing” all the time. It does you good to have some time to yourself to do something that gives you pleasure. Why do we often feel guilty when we do this?
    Mindfulness techniques are beneficial to nurture when you are prone to depression. I just got a cheap book from The Works, and it's really good, and easy to use.
    Next time you go to Dublin, look for the “Tiger” shop; they have loads of really unusual cheap stuff in there – puzzles, games and different things. I got my memory game from there which I use most nights to stop me from nodding off before my sleep window starts. Also I think it helps with my memory/concentration, as they have both suffered through my long term insomnia.
    Good luck with everything.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I've just taken up watercolour painting and I'm hooked! I've got an awful lot to learn but I am quietly rather proud of some of the landscapes I've done. I've been on 1 short course and bought myself a book which I'm following. My goal is to be able to paint a scene from a photo I've taken.
    It does take a lot of concentration but it is certainly relaxing and helps prevent negative thoughts about feeling tired all the time.

• Sleepio Member

• 37 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone Since taking early retirement 8 years ago my life has become busier than ever – don't know how I ever found time to work!
    My husband retired 2 years before me so we took the opportunity to start learning to dance – ballroom, Latin American and a bit of sequence It's great fun and good exercise and we've made lots of new friends as well as learning a new skill
    Four years ago we both started doing Pilates once a week and I also do Zumba Gold ( supposedly a slower version of Zumba)
    Whenever we can we like to go out walking in the North Yorkshire moors which are close to where we live and also regularly walk along the seafront which is 5 minutes away
    We consider ourselves very lucky to live where we do and to both be fit and well into our middle sixties
    When I'm at home I love to read ( being an ex librarian ) and I love to cook especially baking – it's a good job we both stay fit

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    I play the 'cello. I'm at an intermediate standard and try to practise for at least an hour each day. I belong to a string quartet and two orchestras and each year regularly go on several residential string playing courses at Benslow Music in Hitchin. I teach the recorder for my local U3A and it has been really rewarding as well as a lot of fun. We play duets, trios and quartets. I enjoy walking and have had some great times with HF on their guided walking Holidays'. I also enjoy the theatre, museums and art galleries and visit London whenever I can.

Return to top