Welcome to Sleepio!

What are your first impressions of the community? Drop in here to say hi!

Posted 16 Aug 2011 at 1:45 PM
  • 84 comments
  • 27 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Pre-course

Hi I have just joined this forum and have a weird problem. After perfect sleep all my life I had surgery at the end of September to replace a disc in my neck. Since then I have not had a full night's sleep. It is driving me up the wall. I have no problem going to sleep but wake up faithfully two hours later then every hour for the next two or three hours then perfect sleep. I was taking one Syndol at night as it relaxes the muscles but it seems to have been taken off the market in the last few weeks. When taking it I still woke up but got back to sleep almost immediately. Is this a common problem after surgery? Can anyone suggest anything? Best wishes

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi there,
    I am new to the website. I wondered if anyone else was so worried about sleeping and felt this was their problem. My sleeping problem started about 25 yrs ago when after a bad night I felt I looked and felt horrid when I had to go on a night out. From then on for short periods in my life this worry has came back. I normally sort myself out by not worrying anymore. However, recently I haven't been able to solf this problem myself and I feel helpless. I have seen a hypnotist twice and am hoping this will help eventually. I went to the doctor's today as I felt so tired. She suggests trying to get my sleep pattern back by taking sleeping tablets – short term. She is also looking in to CBT, which I suggested. I can't help feeling it is my own fault, but can't get out of the worrying cycle.Does anyone feel the same way or has anyone managed to change their way of thinking? Worrier

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hello! I just signed in here yesterday to try for one week. Now im not so sure what to do.. Ive been watching the intro with the pro and plotted in how i slept last night, read some of the articles in here… now what? Isnt there anything else for me to watch or read, advices or something – before my next meeting with the pro in one week from yesterday? sorry, if my question is far out, I just feel like im missing something here, and a bit bad english (im from norway). Ill be very happy if anyone has som tips for me :)

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi savoirfaire – not sure what you get on the trial week I am on week 5 and am transforming my life with this prog try clicking on my name to see if you can see more of my posts and open everything you can in Library. great support from others once you get going 1st two weeks just learning and recording then loads of things to connect bed with sleep and cope during day then The Prof recommends best action on your profile. hope that helps

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

Hello everyone on the Sleepio course, first time I have posted anything, but I have found reading all the ups and downs of everyone so helpful. Have just completed week 3 (first of SR) which was very hard some days. Does anyone know if it Is it OK to listen to relaxation tapes in bed, plus if you wake up in the night. I can't seem to find the answer on the site.

• Sleepio Member

• 1900 comments
    • 436 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nancy, yeah the SR is really a tough one and yes i know of no reason that you shouldnt listen to relaxation tapes in fact it is a good thing, not sure if you have started Quarter Hour Rule yet? this is to advise if you dont fall asleep within 15 mins or if you wake up during the night you shouldnt lie there for more than 15 mins you are supposed to get up and wait till you are sleepy tired before going back to bed, ( this 15mins could be 20 or 25 mins hence the name QHR) a bit of flexibility, so if tapes help you sleep or help you back to sleep if you wake up no problem. i use the how did you sleep last night page as there seems more activity there. hope you do well Nancy have a good night tonight.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nancy – glad you have joined the 'posting' community – keep posting and reading others posts there are all sorts of gems to be found and support for the downs as well as encouragement for the ups. Hope you had a good night.

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

Thanks very much for help, as the sleepio been going for a while, such a lot of information and post to take in, plus finding my way around site.

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

It's taken a while as there seems such a lot of information to take in, but it is so helpful to read how others cope. I feel I am just beginning to find my way around the site.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

... I hate that term, but I honestly don't know a better way to describe it. Sleeping is not my most favorite activity on the planet. My room gets too hot, there are too many noises outside for me to open a window, there are creaks in my room that can sometimes scare me at night, trust me the list can go on and on. Sleeping has never been easy for me, of course, that is why I am here, but I curious as to what others may think about my case…. I will try and explain it the best way possible so if you would be so kind as to bear with me, you may change my life… seriously!

I've been a light sleeper for as far back as I could remember. I always thought some people were just born that way… some light, some heavy, and some in between. I always wondered if that could be changed and people actually told me that it could not.

Last year, my brother got married and moved out. I moved into his room thinking it would be cooler, and therefore easier to sleep. And, it was… to an extent. My old room was carpeted and this one is grouted with stone. But it's still warm. I live in Northridge, California. Adjusting was a bit difficult, I tried adjusting to a fan, which didn't really work. So I suffered through it. Ofter the summer, I started hearing creaks and noises coming from where my TV is mounted. I still hear them, and have just accepted them as well. when I first moved in it really scared me, though. I actually thought my room was haunted because I inspected every inch of where the noise was coming from and there was no sign that the TV was being ripped from the wall (which is what is sounded like), I didn't smell anything like a raccoon or a rat inside the walls. I knew the difference between the pipes in my walls and the sound that I am referring to.

Now I have my TV on at night, and I don't like it when it goes off. It's hard for me to think of sleeping without my TV on, especially with an open window. The noises outside make me think that there is someone creeping around the backyard, even though it could just be my own dogs, or the neighbor's cats (they have A LOT of cats).

I've always had a fear of being robbed or burglarized. when I was little, I would have nightmares about it. But when I looked up the criteria for paranoia, of both being afraid of the dark, and Scelerophobia (fear of thieves, robbers) and I don't really meet the criteria. The mere thought of either doesn't give me anxiety (one of the key criteria) but it makes it really hard for me to sleep. Thank you for bearing with my ramblings. I am hoping to get some sleep last night, seeing as to how this fear (granted I mistakenly drank a lot of caffeine at 6:30 p.m. to stay awake in class) kept me up until 3:30 a.m. I am very tired -- although my adrenaline is pumping after an exciting phone call from my boyfriend, it that's another story -- and I want to enjoy sleeping again. right now I do not enjoy sleeping. It is my least favorite activity.

I am curious about the community's thoughts on this. Maybe even an expert opinion would be nice. :-)

And a final note, I do take medication before bed. I have been taking tri=sprintec (birth control) since I was about 15 and now I take celexa (an antidepressant) at night since it has been known to cause drowsiness.

Sleep well, friends!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am using the sleepio free trial and noticed that there is a difference in my sleep efficiency between that which was calculated during session 1 of the course (60%) and that which appears in my individual data profile (76%) that appears under the “tools” area of the website. The source of inout data for both of these calculations comes from the same UP Jawbone wristband device. Why would there be such a difference in these two calculations from the sleepio program? Thanks, Sonny Cave

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi, Newbie here.

Just signed up today. Feeling nervous (but desperate!). I've had sleep problems since adolescence, getting worse with every passing year. I now dread going to bed. I've had a particularly bad 10 days as I became allergic to my pain medication (opiate based) so had to go 'cold turkey' and haven't had more than a couple of hours sleep each night. Truly hoping Sleepio has the answer.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi, Newbie here.

Just signed up today. Feeling nervous (but desperate!). I've had sleep problems since adolescence, getting worse with every passing year. I now dread going to bed. I've had a particularly bad 10 days as I became allergic to my pain medication (opiate based) so had to go 'cold turkey' and haven't had more than a couple of hours sleep each night. Truly hoping Sleepio has the answer.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Hi and welcome – you've come to a good place. The sleepio course is great – lots of useful information and tools plus it really does work even for long-term insomniacs like I was.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Thanks nightjar, I'm keeping everything crossed.

• Sleepio Member

• 276 comments
    • 59 helped
    Graduate

Hi sleepybookworm
    One of the best things about sleepio is that it reduces bedtime anxiety. Like you, I used to dread going to bed, now it's lost its terror. I know that other sleepio users have pain and medication issues, so have a good dig around the website for discussions and topics relating to your own problems and you'll find advice and, just as important, support.
    Good luck, keep posting (in between turning the pages)

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi, Speccyguy,

I look forward to the day bedtime is no longer a fear. It's hard to explain the dread you feel to those without sleep issues – most people love going to bed!

• Sleepio Member

• 23 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi all!
    Total newbie here! Signed on this morning and find the site really crammed full of post ranging from the extremely helpful to the downright weird. ;-)

Being an experienced and long serving member of the insomniac club, I am really optimistic about the chances of success with Sleepio – especially browsing the input from those out there who have grappled with sleep issues long-term.

Wishing everyone – (myself included!)- a successful outcome to the endless struggle for satisfying sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm new to Sleepio, I've just done my first session. I noticed that you can track your sleeping patterns on here. Do you have to track them? I don't have a tracking device.

• Sleepio Member

• 1900 comments
    • 436 helped
    Graduate

Hi Hannah, I have never used this discussion page before just hit onto it by chance, anyway welcome to Sleepio you must be really struggling to join up on Christmas Eve day?
    I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but if you want to fill in your sleep diary daily you just click onto to the blue tab above left DIARY, and fill in the details after a few days when your sleep pattern is established you will get a notification to have your first session with the professor who will guide you through the program.
    If you have difficulties please tell me you can click onto my profile page or I will look out for your messages here.
    Have confidence this is a great program that works but it's not easy but there are a lot off good people here who will help you.

Holiday.

Return to top