Vivid Dreams

Does anyone else have really vivid, and often scary dreams, that you can get mixed up with reality? I get it all the time and wake up feeling exhausted because i dont feel i'm actually resting.

Posted 4 Sep 2011 at 11:01 PM
  • 132 comments
  • 50 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I have either a nightmare or a very argumentative dream. I frequently forget what it was about, but I'm very stressed and struggle to get back to sleep. My gastritis kicks in. It was caused by some medication that I managed to get changed. I haven't got the bug,but sometimes wonder if the doctor who tested me didn't infect me as she was wearing gloves and fiddling with some beads round her neck the whole time! The consultation was very rushed as they were waiting for a translator for the patient in before me! She fobbed me off on treatment so I've carried on having some muslie when I wake up. Sleepio don't want me eating, but I've decided to have a few spoonfuls as its better than taking the medication.
    GP said there is no cure for nightmares!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 3 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi! I've had this problem pretty much my whole life. I remember sleeping well every night during my teenage years except on Sundays. Some people say this is because we usually change our bedtime and waketime hours on Fridays and Saturdays. Which is probably true. But for me it's a kind of sense of impending doom because a new week starts the next day. I still struggle with this. So much so that now I've changed from working Monday to Friday to working Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and now my sleep is worse on Sundays AND Wednesdays.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

DaddyBear, I too have vivid dreams about awful things and people in my past. I wish they would stop haunting me. I really don't know the solution. I sympathise with you.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

I've been on Citilopram for sometime, and yes, vivid and really odd dreams do occure.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

The side effects of statins can be nightmares. I came off them, the nightmares did stop, but I still woke up around 3 or 4am feeling very stressed. I went back on them on holiday cos the food was very pro heart disease. I've not noticed any nightmares back on them, but still I can't sleep. I have undiagnosed attention deficit, so I find it difficult to concentrate on much of the Sleepio advice. I feel frustrated with the GP fob offs, but so is everyone I speak to it about. I've made an appointment with a GP who was nicer to my daughter, but I'm scared to open up as I don't want my holiday insurance premiums to sky rocket. Plus in the six minutes I get I can't see it helping.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

The side effects of statins can be nightmares. I came off them, the nightmares did stop, but I still woke up around 3 or 4am feeling very stressed. I went back on them on holiday cos the food was very pro heart disease. I've not noticed any nightmares back on them, but still I can't sleep. I have undiagnosed attention deficit, so I find it difficult to concentrate on much of the Sleepio advice. I feel frustrated with the GP fob offs, but so is everyone I speak to it about. I've made an appointment with a GP who was nicer to my daughter, but I'm scared to open up as I don't want my holiday insurance premiums to sky rocket. Plus in the six minutes I get I can't see it helping.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

Featured snippet from the web
    Hypnopompic Hallucinations-- Vivid dreamlike experiences—called hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations—can seem real and are often frightening. They may be mistaken for nightmares, and they can occur while falling asleep (hypnagogic) or waking up (hypnopompic)

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I suffer from psychosis, and when I am at high risk of relapse or even when I am really psychotic I have more vivid dreams only at waking up.I also have more nightmares. I can't differentiate if it is a hypnagogic hallucination, or if I am awaking having a nightmare or starting a delusion while awaking up.
    Has anyone have experience like these?

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi stroop,
    Welcome to Sleepio. You’re not alone in your battle with insomnia – but I don’t know anyone here who has psychotic episodes.
    You might get more of a response if you put your message on your profile page – just click and copy what you have written above, click on your name on the left hand side and you should get taken to your profile page then you can paste it in there – that way, it will be seen by many more Sleepios who visit the Community Page, whereas this particular page is more specific to vivid dreams.
    Good luck with some responses. If you need any other help regarding Sleepio, I’m more than happy to help if I may. Just click on my name and bob over to my profile page ;)
    Best sleepio wishes,

Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you very much for your help, Kurly.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hiya stroop,
    You are more than welcome…not many people maybe able to help you with this – but you never know…
    Tonight (U.K. 8.00-9.00/9.30 pm) there is a Live Doctor session so you could post a question to Dr. J. Kenady – I think she is on duty – but she is a psychologist rather than an MD/GP doctor. But she may be able to advise you. The only other option I can think of is that you contact your own GP.

This may not help you much but if you can try to get your natural sleep into a better rhythm, you might find these strange awakenings slowly fade out.
    When I was having my worst episodes of poor sleep, I was having really vivid dreams that I thought were so real – I would be convinced things had happened. I would also dream I was awake thus making me feel like I had had less sleep.
    Once I’d got my sleep into a better pattern and that took about seven or eight weeks, the dreams stopped.
    Ask any more questions and I’ll try to help you – I stay on Sleepio to keep track of my sleep routines and because I want to help new Sleepios like you 80))

Best wishes,
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Sorry I forgot to add – if you can, write down any worries you have in a notebook – or even better add them at any time to your Sleep Diary. You can add notes at the bottom of the SD page where it says Add additional information.

This is a good practise to get into so you can see when you have good nights or bad nights and what might have affected you during the day to give you a good/bad night. You can add in Sleep Tags too – for example I have some for exercise, yoga, OH’s snoring, temperature, menopause symptoms, – you can add your own tags then compare tags to see what stands out in a pattern of good/bad night’s sleep.
    Kurly ;0)

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you very much for your post, Kurly.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I always had vivid dreams especially in the morning, if I have something planned for the day I tend to live my day in the dream where everything goes wrong, and they are so real and detailed that even after I wake up it takes me a while to realize it didnt happen.
    Other times I tend to dream about being chased for whatever reason, on one side I'm anxious and can wake up suddenly falling or screaming (in the dream), but on the other side if I know I'm dreaming I embrace the dream and enjoy the experience; I can even wake up briefly and go back to sleep and continue it. Interestingly my son 9 years old can do the same thing. but my husband can't

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

There are times when I fall asleep while on my back and I have very vivid, pleasant and sometimes surreal dreams and I wake up about 5-10 minutes later thinking I’ve been asleep for hours, although, this doesn’t prevent me from falling asleep again. Sometimes I fall asleep on my back intentionally hoping to have a vivid dream.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I suffer with this a lot. I can control what is happening in my dreams too so it's as if I was awake but some crazy stuff is always happening. My imagination seems to have no limits so when you feel like you are awake through all of it it's very tiring. I wake up feeling like I have had no rest which is so difficult. I relish the nights where I don't dream but with Chronic Fatigue the tiredness continues regardless.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I find I often wake up exhausted due to nightmares and bad dreams during the night.
    Any thoughts on how to resolve this/

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have had very vivid dreams starting 8-9 months ago. I went on anti-anxiety medication to help and it did but I still have very vivid dreams. Instead of waking up 4-5 times I now wake up 2-3 during the day. Still will wake in a cold sweat but not with a complete panic attack like before. Chronic fatigue and feeling like I didn't sleep much, as well as the dreams really affect me throughout the day.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

I also have intense dreams which make my night like another day, and in the morning I feel exhausted. I start dreaming even if I take a 15 minutes nap. Lots of people of my past come along. Lots of work situation. Often I fly, sometimes I am killed or guilty of something. Because I fall asleep immediately and do not really have long periods awake during the night, this problem of intense dreaming is my real problem with sleeping. SOmetimes I get frustrated because all programs and books I have see on insomnia, deal with the problem of not been able to fall asleep, rather than having a non restful sleep. WOndering if sleepio has a section on this.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi. A lot of the time I have cold sweats too.
    I notice that you are in your fifth week and I am only near the end of the second , but has there been much change in your sleep pattern?
    Keep going. I’m here if you want to talk too.

Return to top