Vivid Dreams

Does anyone else have really vivid, and often scary dreams, that you can get mixed up with reality? I get it all the time and wake up feeling exhausted because i dont feel i'm actually resting.

Posted 4 Sep 2011 at 11:01 PM
  • 92 comments
  • 21 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

It is slightly comforting to know that i am not the only one having terrifying dreams that effect the rest of your day, mine have sometimes been so bad that i have not been i a fit state to go to work. The solution and reason for me having them in the firt place is not really being resloved. My job has recently been put on risk so I am hoping a change of career may help at this stage as suggested by the school teacher but i have had these type of dreams all my life.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I had 95% SE last night and didn't wake from dreams or remember any on getting up so SR does seem to be effective in diminishing dreaming.

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Yes, this is actually what started my insomnia. It all started with the sudden death of my husband eight years ago. At first it was because he wasn't' there to sleep with anymore. Then the dreams started and they were almost all the same. I kept trying to get to him to help and never could. Just watched him die every night. So I got on sleeping meds. They usually help because I would just fall asleep with no dreams. But I get tired of being on meds and out of desperation, found this course. I have had to retrain myself to how to fall asleep naturally. It had gotten so bad that I was afraid to go to bed at night. I still have bad days and dreams, but I can usually wake myself up for a minute or to and resume sleep. Good luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Hi, C B T has been working for me. I have had to retrain myself to do this after not for so long, but give it a shot. I still have some bad times but can usually push through it. This course has helped me in so many ways, it's worth it to keep trying.

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Have you ever been diasnogsed with sleep apnea? I have it and when it kicks it, it's like I get shaken violently awake. I guess that's my body's way of waking me up to breathe. It's worth getting looked into.

• Sleepio Member

• 61 comments
    • 19 helped
    Graduate

I have been dealing with this a lot lately. Some of my dreams are nightmarish while others are just enthralling. I have quite an active imagination! Usually what I will do as I am winding down to get to sleep is I will tell myself that I have control over my dreams. When I was younger my mom used to have me make a “magic bag” inside of my head and fill it with things that would help me to ward off anything scary or overwhelming. Whilst in my dream world I was able to use all of these sorts of magic tools to really help. I still will do this exercise occasionally even as an adult. The mind is a powerful thing and after a few weeks you can train your mind to give you the tools that it needs in the dreaming world so that you can take more control and not get so absorbed in them. Hope that helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 1

Hi there! Ok, this has nothing to do with why I signed up for the course. However I have a genuine interest in lucid dreaming which involves changing sleep/wake habits and in my experience can lead to sleep problems. However I would really love to know how to improve sleep efficiency and lucid dreaming at the same time? I do struggle falling asleep. Anyone experienced with lucid dreaming techniques had the same experiences as me and any ideas on how to make them work?
    Adam

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I don't know what lucid dreaming is but highly developed Tibetan meditators deliberately use their sleep to purify sub-conscious levels of mind. I'm fortunate to be a very curious person so whether I have good or bad dreams I distance them by thinking “What was that all about? Can I use it to understand my mind better and work with it?

• Sleepio Member

• 246 comments
    • 93 helped
    Graduate

Hi jerusha. Interesting about the Tibetans! Dreams have always fascinated me. It would be a whole study by itself to be sure. Your question might be a good one for the experts.
    I am sure that we could get some great insights into our own behavior if we knew how to study and interpret our dreams. I know that I have had some wonderful and bizarre dreams but sadly they simple dissolve from my memory before I can examine them.
    At least we know that we are getting sleep if we remember that we were dreaming. Therefore, happy dreams!!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

i get them very rare . but i seldomly dream and far in between anyone knows why?
    is it related to sleep level?

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Oh! my…interesting and scary comment…
    I don't have bad dreams per se but do have sleep apnea – just recently diagnosed – and I'm shaken with palpitations at night. Any thoughts on this would b e appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Anasomnia, yes, this is my main problem. I have terrible nightmares every night, so wake up in a cold sweat a few times at night at least. The dreams are sometimes lucid, but not always in a helpful way! I am curious to know how you found the course? I've just started, but I found the “sleep efficiency” statistic a little misleading--technically I do “sleep” a fair bit during the night, but this sleep is so distressing that I wake up exhausted. Of course this has led to other issues, like anxiety about going to bed, which I hope sleepio will help with!

I hope everyone here is finding delicious, restful sleep--if not now, then soon!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I have had very vivid powerful dreams my entire life, even as a child I would regularly wake up sweating and crying, I have very often throughout my life had “premonitions” which I obviously at the time wouldn't know that they were until after the event, does anyone else ever experience this? I have also suffered fairly regularly from sleep paralysis since adolescence, which was terrifying as I honestly thought I was being haunted ! It also caused a dream I have been having pretty much nightly my entire life into to something very sinister which continued for years until I discovered what sleep paralysis was, what a relief i was scared to tell anyone I was being visited nightly by a ghost who pinned me to the bed incase they thought I had went bonkers, thankfully my old dream has returned to normal and the sleep paralysis doesn't tend to happen as frequently, probably because I don't sleep :)

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Just a thought, but vivid dreams can be a side effect of some anti-depressants, e.g. Citalopram

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Earlier this year there was a trauma in my life that led to a bad bout of insomnia – not able to fall asleep, not able to stay asleep, etc. Through medication, counseling, meditation, changing my sleeping habits, and generally working through the trauma I am now able to fall asleep and awake less frequently, but there are two lingering symptoms that I still experience no matter what I try, which are night sweats and extremely lucid dreaming. Even if I sleep through the night I feel as though I haven't slept a wink since my brain has been so active. In fact my dreams are so active that I sometimes wake myself up from moving my arms and legs around – that has to be creepy to see. And I often wake up completely drenched, even if it's chilly in my room.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, did you find anything that helped?

(PS – I don't think it's menopause, as I'm only 32).

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I don't think it is menopausal as I am a 40 something man with the same issues. I think it is anxiety and perhaps anti – depressants. Too many Dreams tire you out enormously and I have been told that too much worrying during the day is the cause as it an emotional release not executed during the day or previous weeks / months.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 4

This only happens to me if I drink alcohol before bed or eat a huge meal before I seep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 4

Hi There

Newbie here, I'm 30 years years old and ever since I can remember I've had vivid dreams, and a lot I remember, my first dream was sweets falling like rain with shiny rappers, I was trying to grab them all, the colour of them was yellow red blue green purple and like toffee colour, I've dreams like this ever since why I'm here cos like most here having trouble sleeping.
    Thanks for this post, :)
    Karen

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Yes, I get those vivid (and colorful) dreams all the time. I wake up and have to take time to realize it didnt happen. Happens spcifically if I fall asleep outside of regular bed time.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I have these my entire life, but found that if I can explain them away right away, they fade from memory. But I've had some that I've had when I was a kid, that still remember vividly. Those are ones that I havent been able to explain away, like my uncle opening the door to my apt and dropping dead when it opened. He DID die of a heart attack 20 years later, but cant figure out why I dreamt it. Weird

Return to top