Vivid Dreams

Does anyone else have really vivid, and often scary dreams, that you can get mixed up with reality? I get it all the time and wake up feeling exhausted because i dont feel i'm actually resting.

Posted 4 Sep 2011 at 11:01 PM
  • 115 comments
  • 37 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Very true, since I've been on citalopram my dreams are crazy. I hate it.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello, I just started the sleepio program, just about 2 1/2 weeks in. I wanted to know if anyone ever experienced what would call “night terrors”, in which you are having a nightmare, can't remember the nightmare, I would scream out loud while I'm sleeping. I would wake up family members, but from what they say, I don't even wake up and I don't have any memory of this the next day. There is not too much information out there when I google this. What I learned is that I tend not to eat or drink alcohol at least 4 hours before bedtime, and this lessons the episodes, but I've had this issue my entire life, I'm 47 years of age.

• Sleepio Member

• 23 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi!
    For the past few weeks I have been having extremely vivid dreams and wake up exhausted because of it. I eat extremely healthy and stop watching screens two hours before I go to bed and still I have vivid dreams and sometimes nightmares. Has anyone found a solution to their vivid dreams? Would love some help! :)

• Sleepio Member

• 24 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

One side effect of citalopram can be such vivid dreams. There are alternative medications to citalopram and it might be worth discussing the side effects with your doctor and trialling and alternative pharmacological medication.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 5 helped
    Session 3

I often have vivid dreams but they are usually filled with people from a very abusive time in my childhood. My step-mother is often present and she is just as evil as she was when I was a child. I often find myself wanting to yell in my dream, but my mouth and voice don't work. I try harder to yell but again, something is holding me back. I then wake up suddenly with an excited feeling wondering if I was calling out in my sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have always had very vivid and colorful dreams and I just look at them as kind of like going to the movies while I sleep. Rarely are they scary. Sometimes I am visited by people or pets who are no longer living and I cherish those dreams as they don't happen that often. But on the average, I am not bothered by my dreams and feel they are just a part of me.

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I'm very grateful for these comments. I too have vivid dreams, when I do sleep, and sometimes they are nightmares. My partner “jokes” that he's not surprised that I wake up tired (when I do sleep) since I've done a full day overnight. Sometimes he wakes me as I am whimpering with a nightmare.

Sometimes I have my eyes closed and can see a room (not my room, nor any room I have known, different rooms on different occasions) as bright as day on the back of my eyelids. Sometimes I try to interact with it: I put my hand into it, but because it's not there, my hand goes into a cloud of nothing. It's weird and not very relaxing, even if it is interesting.

I'm sure there is a medical term for this, other than hallucinating. I am not too anxious about it, which has probably come from sleepio (thanks sleepio), I roll over and try to do the relaxation exercises. I'd like to know more about it though, and find nothing in the webpages, unfortunately.

I don't have intrusive thoughts when I try to sleep, but I can't do much about the content of my dreams, much as I would like to.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have occasional nightmares where someone is after me and wants to kill me. Sometimes I scream myself awake. These started after a traumatic car crash 13 years ago in which I almost died. They have become less frequent but began reappearing last fall. I had one this morning My sleep was a fine util the dream woke me up. My biggest problem has been intrusive thoughts and facing mind. Now the dreams are returning. I am in the sleep deprivation part of the program.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

I agree with SalsaSamoa – I often have very vivid dreams that are not scary but are intense and feel real, but also have nightmares that are scary and very upsetting. I think the nightmares are caused when I feel emotionally distressed, and when something in my daytime life is bothering me or unresolved, stuck in the back of my mind. Try “letting go” of those thoughts before going to bed. Maybe write down any worries or thoughts in a notebook where you can pick them back up tomorrow. Also, this might sound strange but sometimes when first lay down in my bed, I imagine after I've laid down I “hang up” my brain for the night on a wall hook, like my brain is a hat or something. Then it's removed from my self in the bed and I can put it back on the next day. It sounds weird but has helped me relax more.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Following up to my previous post, “hanging up” my brain helps me separate it from myself so my body can begin to relax away from the thinking…

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi sleepio community and fellow insomnia sufferers. First of all, I would like to express my gratitude for the chance I was given to improve my sleep with this program. I am still fighting with insomnia, but at least I feel supported and it makes me feel good to know that there are others in the same situation. I wanted to find out if many of you, like me, experience terrible anxiety when going to bed on sunday evening. I always have sleeping problems, getting roughly 5-6 hours sleep per night…but on sunday it dramatically drops to 3 sometimes 2 or even 1 hour. Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Sleepio Member

• 37 comments
    • 13 helped
    Graduate

Could it be unresolved issues relating to something you do every Sunday, or maybe fears about what you will be facing at work on Monday?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Two instances of vivid dreams I ever experienced all involved a sudden impact; falling from a tightrope hitting the ground, and a car crash where I hit a tree in the middle of the night after careening off the road.

What awoke me from slumber was my body tensing up so hard from the impact.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

Hi When ever I get to bed and start relaxing I imagine I screw all my worries and thoughts into a paper ball and throw it out of the window. It knows work almost all of the time.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

Should read does not knows.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

i too have had vivid dreams that are so real if it was a nice dream and i wake up i feel gutted that it was a dream and will feel down for quite a while during that day. . another time i might wake up grateful that it was a dream and count my blessing it was a dream as it was so nasty. it is so confusing.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi KiminMaryland, your post was from back in February but just in case you might still read this…I am the same way! it seems that the Sleepio program has helped a pretty good bit. When I can relax my mind and body before sleep my night terrors are less likely. Also if I can right down the positive and negative of the day and what to do tomorrow. I have kids and all day long I am caring and stressing over them. I wake my family up saying “Noooooo!” Stoooooop!!!”. I hope this at least makes you feel like your not alone.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have either a nightmare or a very argumentative dream. I frequently forget what it was about, but I'm very stressed and struggle to get back to sleep. My gastritis kicks in. It was caused by some medication that I managed to get changed. I haven't got the bug,but sometimes wonder if the doctor who tested me didn't infect me as she was wearing gloves and fiddling with some beads round her neck the whole time! The consultation was very rushed as they were waiting for a translator for the patient in before me! She fobbed me off on treatment so I've carried on having some muslie when I wake up. Sleepio don't want me eating, but I've decided to have a few spoonfuls as its better than taking the medication.
    GP said there is no cure for nightmares!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi! I've had this problem pretty much my whole life. I remember sleeping well every night during my teenage years except on Sundays. Some people say this is because we usually change our bedtime and waketime hours on Fridays and Saturdays. Which is probably true. But for me it's a kind of sense of impending doom because a new week starts the next day. I still struggle with this. So much so that now I've changed from working Monday to Friday to working Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and now my sleep is worse on Sundays AND Wednesdays.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

DaddyBear, I too have vivid dreams about awful things and people in my past. I wish they would stop haunting me. I really don't know the solution. I sympathise with you.

Return to top