Are you a US-based user that has improved your sleep with Sleepio? If so, we would love to hear your story.

Hello Sleepio Community!

Our mission at Big Health, the creators of Sleepio, is to help millions back to good mental health. Hearing from our users and deeply understanding their experiences with poor sleep and Sleepio is foundational to that mission.

That’s why we are looking for US-based users to share their Sleepio story. Your testimonial would help us gain valuable user insight and bring to life the experiences and challenges our users are facing. With your narrative, we can reach more people in need of digital sleep help.

This content could be used in marketing materials or customer-facing presentations, but of course, your name could be kept anonymous if you'd prefer. If you'd like to find out more about how your story can help others achieve better sleep, please let us know by replying to this thread or emailing marketing@bighealth.com

We look forward to hearing from you!

Posted 6 Aug 2020 at 6:11 PM
  • 13 comments
  • 11 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi. I am about two weeks into the SR phase and doing reasonably well. My sleep has been consolidated, I go to sleep relatively quickly most nights. I am now sleeping about five hours per night. The SR has had the beneficial effects of making me so tired that I love to get in bed for sleep and will sleep if I can avoid doing things which interfere with that.

My sleep problems have been long-standing. I have been good at keeping myself awake. Churning thoughts, such as politics or a difficult interaction during the day, have been a problem for me in the past. Also problematic for me has been thoughts associated with planning for the next day or having to do with complicated projects. Recently, however, my chief impediment to sleep has been heightened awareness, mostly having to do with body tension. I have found, for myself, that techniques and strategies involving thinking about how my body feel, are not helpful, at least when II am trying to fall asleep. These include progressive relaxation and breathing exercises. I do these but just not in my winding down phase or when I am actually in bed.
    I find that mild whole body activities such as gentle balance exercises or walking works well for me to put me in a reasonable frame of mind for falling asleep. I hope this is helpful to somebody.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I live half of the year in the Bay Area (California) and half in France, and have long-standing insomnia. I've taken part in a 6-week 'live' sleep workshop at a Bay Area university and had private therapy, but the sleep problem is entrenched. I am grateful for a chance to try Sleepio free, without having to go through a private health insurance company, as I would in the US. I wish it were available from Medicare (USA) or the French National Health. So far (Week 2) I am impressed by both the Daylight and Sleepio websites.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Hi All. I'm a graduate of the program, having started Sleepio in March 2020, but I'm still in the program, as I am still learning and improving my sleep. I've had insomnia for much of my life, but the last few years have been terrible, with it getting much worse.
    I started the program with a sleep efficiency of 45 and was getting 3 to 3 1/2 hours of sleep a night. I did not have problems with falling asleep, but with multiple wake periods during the night. I'm also a light sleeper, so outside noises or influence bother me disproportionately as well.
    The program has helped in a number of ways. The library has been invaluable to me, reading up on the subject of sleep and sleep disorders. The community in Sleepio is welcoming, friendly, willing to share, and let's you know that you are not alone in suffering. And the tips for creating a room designed for better sleep have been very good, and I'm sure, are part of my improvements.
    Since starting the program, I am now getting 5 to 5 1/2 hours of quality sleep each night. Awakenings are down to 1-2 per night, and they tend to be short, and my sleep efficiency is up to an average around 83.
    I still have nights where the old problems re-surface, but those are becoming fewer. I try to label them as anomalies now, knowing that I didn't develop insomnia overnight, and it will not go away overnight either. It's a process, and forming new habits takes a while before they become ingrained. BUT, the program works!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have finished the course and thought it helped me a lot. I now get to sleep in about 5 to 20 minutes. It was taking me over an hour before. I did perseverate about everything but through the CBT I don’t anymore.
    I made lots of changes in my pre sleep routine, bedroom and consistent wake of time. I have kept my sleep efficiency around 85 most nights. My only outstanding issue is I still wake up over 16 times a night and normally awake more then an hour. I do get out of bed when I realize it’s been more then 15 minutes. The Sleepio professor keeps giving me an additional 15 minutes and now I can be in bed 9 hours and 45 minutes. That seems unproductive to my continued insomnia during the night !

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

My youngest is now 15 years old, so it has been a couple years since I have had to disrupt my sleep because of my kids. When I started sleepio my wife was unemployed and loved staying up, in bed, watching tv.
    During the program, she got a job, that requires her to be at work between 4:30 and 6:00 am (varies depending on other scheduling). Her going to bed each night at 8:00pm, watching one 30 min episode (currently watching “Being Erica” on Amazon) and then going to sleep has been a true blessing for my sleep.
    I have not been getting up at 3:30 with her, and so I sometimes get back out of bed, after not falling asleep within 20 min of turning off the tv. The kids do sometimes need help with their home work after 8:00, so there is that too, but I just love that my wife is on this schedule, and I am not looking forward to the end of this contract, when she will likely go back to going to bed at mid night, and wanting to watch a couple hours of tv. :(

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm in my fourth week in the program. I really like it and am trying hard to do what is needed. My sleep has improved and I'm not waking very much at night, which is a blessing. The hardest thing for me is not napping. I'm still working on the amount of sleep I need.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 184 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Gosh Mark, that’s a hard schedule! Very early rise time! For your wife’s sake I would suggest she does not watch tv in bed at all – or you’ll both be on Sleepio!! But importantly, you don’t want to be disturbed – unless you go down the separate rooms way…

What is your SR time? Have you been able to move it at all with additional minutes from the prof?

When your missus stops work – she will be on her ‘work’ rise time for a while, so she could start going to bed half an hour to an hour later for a week, thereby moving her rise time by the same amount – and if you both do that each week, by just half an hour at a time, you could both gently move your sleep schedules to a more reasonable time for you both?
    Eventually, she could do the same as you and just watch programmes elsewhere, then have a half hour wind down with you for the final half hour and go to bed together?

This way, you could both be available to help kids with evening homework or having family time together after a meal and they won’t end up going to bed later than their mum and dad??!!

Best wishes,
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I’ve used the Sleepio courses and information on an off for about a decade now. I have had severe insomnia most of my life and have had to rely on several sleeping medications just to get to sleep. After my first time going through sleep restriction I went from getting about two solid hours a night to sleeping through the night and easily falling asleep within two weeks time. I was able to stop taking sleeping medicine and felt rested, on my own for the first time since a child. After having children of my own and going through a lot of sleep disruption, I am not refreshing my Sleepio knowledge and going through sleep restriction once again. After 4 nights with my new sleep window I fell asleep within 5 minutes. It has taken me 3 or more hours to fall asleep since the pandemic started affecting me so it’s nice to be able to rely on getting to sleep easily without being anxious about it. This course has been such a blessing and I’m so grateful I found it all those years ago.

XO Diana (Beautiful_Dreamer)

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I appreciate the program a lot though to be honest it hasn't really helped me all that much… probably because I knew most of the strategies already from previous reading about CBT. I'm 5 weeks in and my sleep hasn't really improved measurably. Also it seems less geared to help with my particular problem (fragmented sleep -- waking up too often without much trouble falling back asleep).

Also despite the wonderful community here, the message boards are a mess -- it's hard to reply to a specific comment and hard to know when my comments are replied to.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I’ve been told my whole life that sleep is elusive for people over 50. It was easy to buy into this narrative. There were biological and environmental factors at work that I didn’t think I could escape. Middle age brought hot flashes and weight gain. Work was stressful and I watched too much cable news.

I thought I could power through this stage and regain my ability to sleep soundly through the night. After three years of poor sleep, though, I reconciled with the fact that it was not happening. I began to look at my diet, alcohol intake, and exercise routine to start. I made changes and began to feel better, but still found a good night’s sleep to be elusive.

Then I was given the chance to try out the Sleepio app. I seized the opportunity. I learned right away that my sleep routine didn’t set me up for success. Simple ideas were presented that I never gave much thought to, such as whether I was sleeping with the right number of pillows – in fact I only need one foam pillow, not three down pillows. Also, timing my meals and exercise worked wonders.

However, of most benefit was understanding my own thought processes. The harder it was to sleep, the more I began to dread sleep. I wasn’t even conscious of the negative dialog I had developed around sleep. This negativity turned into anxiety and it was as if the more I obsessed about sleep, the less I was able to get a good night’s rest. After six weeks of Sleepio, I’ve been able to address this negativism and develop better sleep habits, as well as life habits. I’m sleeping sounder and able to concentrate more. Thank you, Sleepio!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I feel it is important to recognize everyone is different. In this program, I realize I have many of the tools Le Prof spoke of, I needed to review these tools and found I felt better in waking up.
    The only problem I have is when I wake up in the night and go back to sleep as soon as I wake up, I can't say that in the sleep diary because that is exactly why I would have problems sleeping, I would wake up, and my mind would go crazy. Now, with the review of my tools, I can close my eyes and I am sleeping without trouble. Thank you very much Le Prof.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have just graduated the course and highly recommend it. My sleep efficiency has improved significantly and I feel more rested in the morning. There were several techniques suggested that I was already using (darkened room, no TV, no cell phone in bedroom). So it was good to get confirmation that those were important. And the course introduced additional techniques that I had never tried before and I found them to be very effective. Specifically, ensuring that I do not drink alcohol within 3 hours of going to bed. Finishing my evening by writing down the things I needed to accomplish the next day really helped me put them out of my mind when I was trying to get to sleep. And the technique of squeezing then relaxing the muscle groups in bed before trying to sleep was very effective in helping me to relax.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am happy to say that I just graduated the Sleepio program today! When I first started the program, I was getting 4-5 hours of sleep per night for half a year. I would wake up in the night and cry when I stayed awake in bed tossing and turning for more than an hour. I thought being a light sleeper was the reason for my poor sleep, but Sleepio has taught me that my negative mentality was actually a big hindrance. Now, I get 7-8 hours of sleep per night, and I am very grateful to the program and my employer for providing free access to Sleepio.

Sleepio taught me some very useful tips. The “THE” technique made it easier to stop unwanted thoughts that would prevent me from sleeping. The tidbit that we get the most restorative sleep in the first few hours of sleep made me feel more at ease with my sleep – whereas before I would pity myself for having so little sleep. Also, I like that the sleep restriction is helping me become more of a morning person.

However, I still have one thing bugging me… how will my sleep fare when my fiancee and I move in together??

Return to top