Tinnitus

Is anybody else deeply troubled by this? I'm an eighteen and have unfortunately been afflicted with this for at least four years. For the first two noticeable years, I dealt with it perfectly well – but for the past two, they've been unbearable (ultimately having to drop out of college due to depression and insomnia).

I always associate my bed with tinnitus, so that instantly sets me off for a bad night of sleeping.

I've been to psychologists about it, but to no avail.

I've also tried listening to a plethora of different genres of music, and all the different types of noise (e.g. white etc.) available.

Does anybody have any 'grassroots' tips? One could say that it's 'doing my head in'.

Posted 5 Dec 2011 at 2:36 AM
  • 90 comments
  • 23 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 169 comments
    • 43 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi I can empathise with you with you tinnitus/ sleep issues, I've had it for years but there isn't much that can be done for it. The course has helped and until just recently I've been getting some good sleep, but at the beginning of the week I have had a really bad cold and it has kept me rom sleeping and my tinnitus seems more exasperated than ever and driving me nuts.
    I've taken to sleeping downstairs on my sofa so as not to wake my wife up while she is snoring away.
    Very frustrated.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 169 comments
    • 43 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jules sorry should of got to you first but the same applies to you as stuzl. Best wishes. Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone
    Hank you for your response Trevor
    I have recently been listening to a cd on my iPod whilst in bed. It is called Simply Sleep. It is by Alan Wickwho is a hypnotherapist. The cd is 30 minutes long. He talks about random things but I think it is the way he says them that helps.
    Along with the Sleepio programme I have found on most nights my Tinnitus has not kept me awake. Previously it was a nightmare. My Tinnitus is still there 24/7.
    I was also given hearing aids by ENT to wear a couple of hours before I go to bed. As soon as I put them in my Tinnitus noise seems a bit quieter. My Tinnitus sounds like cicadas and tingling noise.
    I think I is worth trying different things as we all react in different ways.
    Since Sleep restriction week my sleep has improved overall and I do feel I can cope better with my Tinnitus
    Wishing you all a peaceful, restful Christmas.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone,
    I bought the Simply Sleep CD but it didn't help at all. I found his voice difficult to listen to. Sorry northerners, but I'm a southerner and he has a pronounced accent which wasn't comfortable with. I have a permanent whistling/white noise which I forget about when I'm engrossed in some activity (I paint) but like everyone else, it's worse at night. I tried the “sleep mate” which didn't help – it sounds like a vacuum cleaner/noisy fan. The best thing I've found is listening to a talking tape, very softly so you have to concentrate to hear it. It also doesn't wake you up when it comes to the end of the CD. Like others, I also went to an ENT consultant (actually for sinus trouble) and he said that tinnitus is incurable. I'm going to try the beach CD mentioned earlier.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have also been told Tinnitus is incurable. I use sessions available from apple store by Glen Harrold. Dont know if they work but the distract me. Also tried “TinnitusMeasurer” and the expensive “Tinnitus Help” to characterise mine. The second one also claims to train to help the brain ignore the tinnitus.

• Sleepio Member

• 96 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

Hi all, I've had tinnitus for over 45 years, and it's always worse when I'm tired or stressed. It's been quite bad during this course unfortunately, so I'm hoping it settles down again when I get some kind of normal sleep pattern back.
    My technique for living with it has been to always have music on in the background if I'm on my own and this just draws my attention away from it. Also in bed, on very low volume, but then more in the theme of a meditation or guided visualisation type. I've tried a sleep pillow, which has a small speaker in, that you can plug your mp3 player in to, which cuts out the faff of getting ravelled in wires in bed.
    There is also a headband that you can buy with small flat speakers in,(and a more expensive bluetooth version) , as it's very uncomfortable trying to sleep with headphones in for any length of time, as you know!
    There's no real fix here unfortunately, so we are left with finding our own ways of living with it, and finding our own coping mechanisms. I felt more relaxed about mine when I eventually realised I would probably always have it to some degree, and that I would have to accept it, and find a way of coping with it in the long term, but it's not an easy one.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am interested in this. I will be trying them soon!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I’m lucky in that I only have tinnitus in one ear and if I put that ear in the pillow I can ignore it. When I first had it, I found a programme called Hush Tinnitus. It helps you identify the sound your tinnitus makes. Apparently with some types, listening to the sound helps your brain get used to it and then ignore it. Mine wasn't the type but I did find listening to the sound externally helped me ignore that it was in my head. I can’t remember if I paid for the download. It wouldn’t have been much because I wouldn’t have paid much!
    Mine gets worse when I have a blocked nose so I have a lot of sympathy for bad sufferers.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

It took me an awful long time to find the right sounds for me. I seem to remember that pink noise with slightly low tones is better and I use sea sound with crashing waves that sort of goes along with a slow breathing rate I can follow. I have it on all night. I use sleep sounds app ..blue icon with a little moon. This sound doesnt noticeably loop either.
    Following this courseas my sleep is still rubbish through anxiety. Got myself into a self fulfilling prophecy here and probably have a bad bedtime routine plus other issues but my tinnitus isn't the main one now. I have had it for nearly 5 years.hope this helps.only on day 2 of course so still struggling myself

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Does anyone else suffer from tinnitus and finds this affects sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi, yes, I have been suffering with tinnitus since January and it does affect my sleep and makes me feel quite anxious. I've in the early stages of the programme so don't know yet if this will help. I am looking at different things I can try at the moment any advice you can give would help. How are you doing with things?

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi Stidworthy
    I’ve left a message on FredRabbit's profile page to let him know you have replied here…you can click on his name above and get taken to his profile page if you wish to message him regarding tinnitus.
    I too suffer with tinnitus but mine seems to be worse in the day and evenings and thankfully hasn’t kept me awake at night. So unfortunately I cannot help really. Some sleepios have mentioned in the past that they play a recording of white noise so you could try that.

Best wishes as you go through the programme and if you need any further help don’t hesitate to ask – that’s what we are here for.
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I've had tinnitus for 30 years in my left ear, sounds like cicadas singing all the time. It is worse when I am tired or stressed. I've had medical tests and nothing they can do it seems. I just try not to think about it and that does help but that is hard at night when the sound is so noticeable. I find drinking fizzy drinks, like coke, makes it worse so try to avoid those.

• Sleepio Member

• 84 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

I have tinnitus too. My brown noise machine is my best friend when falling asleep. There are lots of different noises available, including nature sounds, and I tried out free versions on youtube and on apps before I bought my machine. I also checked out reviews of machines on youtube.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Unsleepy. Totally sympathise with this as I've had tinitus in both ears for five years. The most effective thing to help me sleep is listening to rain sounds (try the belltone app) – I know you've said you have tried white noise but have you tried having the volume up loud enough so that it masks? The belltone app allows you to mix sounds together so that you can find a tone that matches your tinnitus. The only other thing that helps is, you guessed it, being so tired that your tinnitus doesn't stop you sleeping. Have you got to the sleep restriction part of the course yet? Wishing you luck. And hopefully it is comforting to know so many also have this problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

i also suffer from tinnitus its a proper pain. I have tried music and stuff to cover the noise.

sometimes if i tap my face near my ear it turns it down

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

Oh, I empathize with all of you. I’m 60 now and I suffered with tinnitus at age 20 for a year or so. ENT Dr, Neurologist, etc were consulted but to no avail. Then I started to get dizzy on laying down and during the waking hours. Just awful. The sleep time white noise for me back then was listening at low volume to old Three Stooges shorts that I had on VHS (ok, it’s weird but it worked for me) with the television screen covered for darkness. Eventually I started getting head and neck pain and someone at work suggested a Chiropractor. Via x-rays I had clear cervical vertebrae dislocation that when treated the very first time gave me immediate relief from all three of my problems. Went through a short time of treatment blitzes and just do maintenance visits here and there up to this day. Not saying it will work for everyone but that was my experience.

Many years later I’m having daytime sleepiness and I discover I have Sleep Apnea (American spelling). On a CPAP machine for 15 years now and that was a boon for me. Of late (last 3-4 years), I mentally bring my work woes to bed with me so to abolish restless thinking I’ve gone back to a new white noise technique that really helps me to get to sleep quickly: wax ear plugs in both ears, headphones over each ear, listening at low volume to Mystery Science Theater 3000 shows on my iPhone with a 45 minute turn-off timer. The shows have good humor, I know the riffs by heart – therefore, no surprises – and there’s no audience laughter breaking in to disrupt my mind as it gets lulled to rest. I am guessing that it helps me get to sleep within about 4-10 minutes. I still wake 2-3 times in the night but that is why I’m using Sleepio starting this very day.

Not to say any of my fixes are universally applicable and helpful to all, just throwing my experience out there to encourage whomever that things CAN get better.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    I have developed tinnitus too, but would suggest that anyone with this should seek an audiology consultation as a first step. This will help diagnose any hearing issues that may actual cause the tinnitus and therefore move to other investigations as necessary.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Tinnitus is indeed a curse. Colds and congestion definitely make it a lot worse. Hearing aids improved mine during the day. Sure that anxiety also makes it worse. Also sure that it may have been set off by exposure to loud noise in my younger years, briefly going to very loud discos and possibly very loud air displays at RAF Halton. However much of my working life I was 'plugged' into headphones to take 'dictation' from doctors to type out documents and much of this was very poorly recorded, so the volume was constantly up and am sure this damaged my ears long term.

I think an effective mode of treatment is Amitriptyline and a 10mg tablet taken before sleep helps me to go sleep and more importantly stay asleep. I also think that it helps the tinnitus.

I'm sure as time goes by that we will get to the 'bottom' of tinnitus and find an effective treatment. Chemotherapy treatment led to extreme tinnitus when I was having my stage 4 breast cancer treated and many tablets seem to 'set it off' so I'm sure that it is not “imaginary” as some folk will have you believe. I am sure it is down to physical damage to the ears and to hearing and it is essential to let the young folk know how to protect their hearing so that they don't have to endure years of tinnitus in the future.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 4

My ENT consultant said tinnitus comes from the brain via the ears.
    I have had tinnitus for just under 50 years.
    I used a sound pillow for my right ear, linked to my iPhone X. I am about 90% deaf in my left ear. I have tinnitus in both ears, both 24/7, with left ear being the worst. I have a pair of tinnitus hearing aids. I wear the left one at night. I have 3 noises to choose from. It does help. I take Melatonin, which seems to help.

Return to top