Does anyone suffer with fibromyalgia and arthritis along with insomnia?

Or any ailment that stops you from sleeping?

How does sleep affect it and what medication, if any, do you take?

Posted 7 Dec 2011 at 7:53 PM
  • 96 comments
  • 51 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Wow. Yes. I have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, insomnia and sleep apnea. My CPAP numbers always come back great so it“s not the sleep apnea causing me to be exhausted all the time. My provider at my sleep center suggests I just take a nap because from her end everything look good. It's got to be the fibromyalgia that causes the tiredness. I take 400 mg of Trazadone for the insomnia. That was just upped from 300 mg since I was awake for up to two hours after the medication.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I have osteoarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis and the pain sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night. I take a low dose amitryipline and it really helps with the pain.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 2

unfortunately Janice I have to wear a purple uniform and it's my favourite colour oh no…....

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

Hi I have a benign tumour that is attached to the outside of my spinal cord and spinal nerve root. I have some arthritis to the surrounding vertebra also. Night time pain is my main symptom and I take gabapentin, amitriptyline and tramadol. I find that i get in to a viscous circle of poor sleep due to pain, which leads to anxiety that makes it even harder to sleep. I am more prone to stress and anxiety due to living with chronic pain – again this leads to insomnia. I often lie in on my days off so I can catch up on sleep so my sleep routine gets disturbed. The worse the sleep the worse i cope with the pain.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I sleep on my side. I roll over quite often because i have pain in booth shoulders. I also have sleep apnea, so i can not sleep on my back. I have a machine, but i can not use it. The mask makes me feel like i am suffocating.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 1

I know exactly how you feel. I can't tolerate HEAT OR COLD AT ALL. I need to move around other other wise the pain is awful.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 1

just diagnosed yesterday with fb . been tired ever since I could remember from childhood. I nap often. does not matter how long I sleep or don't sleep. I always feel the same when I do get up , tired no energy. part of my problem is hot flashes , restlessness ,especially my legs .over past couple of yrs. I have to be able to move them often at night .cant explains the feeling that urges me to have to do this. and seems like something on me hurts daily that effects me being able to get a good night sleep. I have been sensitive since I was a kid to heat and cold and just about every yr. ask to have my thyroid check since hypothyroid is very common in the females in my family. but every yr. comes back fine. I noticed this year I had a issue with swelling to my ankles as well as a red, itchy ,burning soar rash to my lower calf/ ankle are that would show up when very hot and humid out . it last for a few days. I may also may have a form of arthritis . just had 20 cc of fluid drained off one knee. and waiting results sonogram di not show any breaks or tears to the bone or tendon .dr .want to see what is causing it . seemed concerned .ordered 6 test for anything that would cause inflammation . so I am asking if this seem atypical for fm? also what diet is best to follow ? foods to avoid ? .

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi, sorry to hear about your pain. I can sympathize, I suffer from fibro and arthritis, both of which make sleep hard. I do get occasionally get burning sensations, but I've never heard of either condition causing a rash--maybe you are dealing with some type of heat rash? And I do know that arthritis can cause fluid buildup, not so much for fibro.
    I've tried lots of diets with only limited success, but it is important to eat healthy to try to keep your body as healthy as possible. The biggest culprit causing inflammation is sugar, particularly refined white sugar and corn syrup. Another culprit is red meat and processed meat, such as ham and bacon. Consuming lots of fruit and vegetables and healthy oils, such as olive oil, is beneficial. I've also read that the oil in avocados and walnuts can be especially good for inflammation. I know a few people who say they've been helped with Turmeric, an ingredient in curry powder, but unfortunately, I can't say it's helped me.
    Hope you are working with a good doctor that can provide some help.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have fibro and rheumatoid arthritis and problems sleeping. I don't take meds but do CBD oil and tumeric which are natural. A week ago I popped my ribs picking up a pen under my desk! That made me feel stupid and it still hurts. Following this program has helped a lot – I only wake up around 3 am for some reason and that hasn't stopped. I have a lot on my plate which is part of the reason and worried about finances since my son has moved back in with me. Good luck to you!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have Fibromyalgia which causes me to wake-up all night. I get back to sleep quickly but I am continuously dragged up from the depths of sleep by cramp and pain. I get up ever morning feeling worse than I did when I went to bed. I improve with movement. I have a strict diet because l am coeliac and have multiple allergies.
    Sleepio has given me techniques to fall asleep quickly but nothing to stop the continued waking.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi all,
    I am new to Sleepio. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and am currently in a flare. Have had steroid injection to help but am finding it’s not helping as much as it has before.
    Since being diagnosed, (2007), I have noticed that I have needed to sleep more and even though I go to bed early, (9pm), I wakeup during the night & feel tired in the morning & often need a nap during the day, when I’m not working, which then leads to not staying asleep the following night….....vicious circle!
    Does anyone else experience this?
    Thanks for any info/suggestions
    Sue

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

I was diagnosed with FMS 18mths ago, but I believe I've had it before but not taken much notice, until last October I had to leave my job, I was unable to cope with the pressure and demands. I worked for 17years as a GPs receptionist in the NHS work load was not being met. I'm 64 next April and I can't cope with the fatigue and pain. I've tried alsorts but nothing much works, but I have just started using CBD roll on oil on most painful spots and it helps alittle, bu5 doesn't last.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have fibromyalgia and OA and occasional IBS and restless legs. I need a shoulder replacement on Rt. Had 1 on left 3 yrs ago, seemed to be perfect but been getting aching on that side lately. Waking up with mild headaches lately, achy tenderness in neck at back. Yoga exs stretching neck help. Been taking Pregabalin morning snd night for years, and if uncomfortable in bed take ibuprofen, sometimes with paracetamol and half a 5mg diazepam tablet to get to sleep – not every night. But on really bad nights I resort to nitrazepam if desperate to have a good nights sleep. I dont like antihistamine based sleep aids they give me a dry mouth. I have tried Mindfulness snd I have regular psychotherapy. I am 67, divorced and without any family and suffer from depression and loneliness.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I am bedridden majority of the time, will sleep still work if I spend the time in bed that you recommended staying out of . bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Pre-course

You are an Amazing person with a powerful story! You have gone through very rough times but been able to care for your son the way you did is what the real meaning of love is all about. Simply beautiful! And I really hope you see it the same way and you can start feeling all better, you deserve it!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Hi I am new to sleepio but having just watched the video, I was wondering if it will help me?
    The only thing that keeps me from falling asleep and re-waking several times a night is pain.
    I have fibro, arthritis, type 1 diabetes and spondylothesis with nerve compression causing terrible nerve pain in my right hip and leg. Just having the duvet on me can cause pain. I can only sleep sitting up. I am on a lot of meds, codeine, morphine patches, warfarin etc but cannot take Amitriptyline/Nortriptyline to help me sleep as even 5mg space me out.
    I know I am not alone with this. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have Fibro, Osteoarthritis in my spine and other joints and Sarcoidosis in my lungs. I take Gabapentin for the fibro. It helps keep it to a dull roar but lately both my shoulders have been giving me extreme pain, even raising my arm to shoulder height is very painful. I am able to work through it and it usually gets better during the day but at night it is horrendous. I can barely stand to push myself up into a sitting position in bed. My Doctor blames Fibro but we were only on a virtual visit due to Covid -19 so I don't know.

• Sleepio Member

• 207 comments
    • 49 helped
    Graduate

Hi to you both – jab67 and mbe132
    Three years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, by a rheumatologist. He said he could give so many people fibro just by stopping people sleeping properly.
    My sleep was all over the place and has been for years. I also have depression. He touched all the joints and areas that were giving me problems. He pressed on other areas and I absolutely wanted to kick him!! The pain was so bad. I was also getting odd flare-ups. He out me in touch with a physiotherapist who deals with fibro patients. So I have been seeing her on and off for the past three years with an exercise programme.

Until about six weeks ago,the biggest help in combating my symptoms has been getting my sleep under control.
    I was on 2.5-4 hours a night. Now I am on 5.30-7.00 hours (7 being wonderful but doesn’t happen all the time!) I joined sleepio in November 2019. I’m still here following the rules to keep myself on track. I’ve hit blips but sorted myself out again by following the principles of the programme. 8)

Now that my sleep is better, I’ve been doing running again. I was a good runner at school, but that was eons ago! Last year, on a dog walk, I decided to have a go at a gentle jog – kept it up and did Couch to 5, a gentle programme to get you moving. Then I joined parkrun, slow and steady! I stopped running as the fibro was bad again, so just volunteered when I could bare to stand for long periods. Got sleep sorted and now I’m running every other day!

On the days in between I do exercises in the garden when I wake up early – any time from 5.30 onwards.
    I do it in the sunshine to make the most the early morning sun resetting my circadian rhythm (body clock). This is very important for your sleep patterns and your health in general.

Since February this year, I have lost two stone, working hard on exercise and dieting…lockdown has helped cos we cannot go out to eat or to the pub!!

I wasn’t able to get down the stairs or any steps without going down them one by one. Now even first thing in the morning, I can run down without much pain at all. My hands were clawed when I held a cup of tea, they’re not now! That change happened within two weeks of stopping carbs and sugars.

I was on the Cambridge diet which wasn’t great. But much of the real change has happened in the last five weeks which is due to now being on a carnivore diet. I eat meat, eggs, fish, cheese.
    The good quality sleep helped me get physically fitter and has helped my depression. Carnivore diet has helped with less inflammation. No processed food, no sugars, no carbs.
    My daughter asked me to try the diet for a month…I can not go back to being in pain, so I’ll stay carnivore for a while longer and maybe introduce some foods at some point.

I’m not saying this is the be all and end all, but getting sleep will put you in a better frame of mind and the diet?
    Well, it’s entirely up to you. If you want to change your diet and have less inflammation get rid of the sugars and carbs as they are inflammatory.

Btw – I haven’t had so much energy in years! My physio cannot believe the change.
    Do some research on he carnivore diet – it’s not for everyone but it has helped me. I can even unscrew bottle tops again!! Yay!
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Wow Kurly, That is very interesting. The carnivore diet sounds like it may be right up my alley because I like eating meat fish eggs and cheese. I'll have to check that out. Glad to hear you are doing so well.

• Sleepio Member

• 207 comments
    • 49 helped
    Graduate

Hi there mbe
    Honestly it’s worth a try!! For me with fibromyalgia, I had to do something so it’s a bit of an elimination diet.

As I said, I do hope to introduce salads and some veg (I do miss the variety!!).
    But to be honest, I just don’t think about food the way I used to – before, any diet I followed meant I was constantly hungry and thinking of the next meal! Take today, I know I’m probably going to have an omelette with something for lunch and loads of fish and prawns for dinner tonight. Last night was a chicken breast and four lamb chops…they were small and my OH ate most of the fatty bits that weren’t quite burnt enough for me!! Lol!
    But an important thing on carnivore is when you’ve eaten, you are full – so if you think 'ooh I could just eat some pudding!' Think 'Ok, well I can’t have pudding, can I manage another pile of chicken (prawns/mince/chop)?? These days every time I look at any more meat I just know I cannot eat any more, so I know I’m satiated and it’s naturally good food and I’m losing weight too!
    There will be peeps who totally disagree because of what we have been told and (pardon the pun) force-fed and lied to about diet for years!
    Try it for a week or two to see if you have any difference in your pain, and do let me know!!
    Kurly Wurly :)

Return to top