Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Pickle,
    Yes, I think we have all found it stressful trying to monitor how many times we wake in the night!

So it’s best not to worry too much about it. Just give it a guess.
    The prof doesn’t want you to get upset by it and keep yourself even more awake and clock watching is not good. So, when you complete your sleep diary in the morning, just have a guess how many times you think you woke up – You don’t have to be completely accurate.
    The Sleepio team have deliberately put times in increments of five minutes for things like ‘how long did the awakenings last for…' or at 'what time did you get up' because you just guess to the nearest five minutes.
    Hope this makes sense and eases your worry 8)
    I’ve also left you a message on your profile page to welcome you to sleepio.
    Best wishes and luck,
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I am on day 3 ,trying to record how any times i think i am Awake and for how long is confusing . Building more movement walking for half an hour each day weather i fee like it or not , is a must do. Using the bedroom for just sleep sex and Meditation .Clearing the house room by room of clutter starting with the Bedroom .Best wishes Vicki .

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi Summer town,
    Welcome to Sleepio…it’s hard going trying to record the data on the Sleep Diary but try not to let it overwhelm you. Just guesstimate your awakenings or you’ll end up with even less sleep than normal. I know, I did! It nearly drove me mad – I just wished someone had told me then to estimate.
    You’re doing well if you’ve already started walking outside – things have been so difficult for everyone this year due to COVID-19 but we are here to help you get your sleep back on track.
    Having the energy to go for a walk is hard enough – so be kind to yourself and take it gently. For a few days do your walk for twenty minutes then extend it to half an hour. Once you are happy with half an hour start walking a bit faster to get your pulse going a bit faster. If you already walk fast (only you will know) then go for longer.
    If you are able to, do your walk when you get up out of bed first thing to get the earliest natural daylight – this resets your circadian rhythm and starts your internal body clocks going for the day.
    Great news you are decluttering – I often have a declutter and give my things to charity shops. Win-win situation as my house gets tidier and the charity shops make money from things I used to love.
    You’ll have a lovely free, fresh space to sleep in at night too, well done 80))
    Let me know how you are getting on as the days/weeks go by, ask any questions and I’ll be happy to help.
    Best sleepio wishes, Vicki,
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

1st day – wish me luck

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I feel anxious & worried & stressed when I try to fall asleep. I miss my being able to visit my siblings & their families& especially my mom: they all live far away in other states & Until this year I would use my vacation time to see them but due to pandemic I haven’t been able to visit them at all this year. My husband lost his job & hasn’t worked in 10 months. My job is having lots of changes which is stressful. Some nights when I get into bed my feelings overwhelm me & I feel so sad I want to cry-so I distract myself by watching TV.

• Sleepio Member

• 33 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

Hi Irish,
    That is an awful lot to do deal with, no wonder you feel overwhelmed. I'm sorry you have not been able to visit your family, that's really rough.
    Sleepio can't change your situation but it will give you the tools to help change your response to the feelings it brings up in you.
    In the next couple of weeks you will learn, for example, techniques like setting aside a time for your worries each day so that you can be free of them at night and how to put the day where you summarise each day – both good and bad things. There is also a technique to block thoughts and meditation downloads which are restful.
    I hope this helps, stay with the programme and work hard at it and it will bring you some relief.
    Best Wishes,
    Jarabia

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi I am into my 1st week, how does this work as I have finished listening to the prof. Do I just do a sleep diary or is there something else I need to do.
    Mandy

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi Mandymo – I’ve just left you a message earlier this morning – do keep in touch snd let me know if there’s anything else you need to know….message is on your profile page.

Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Christopher,

I found the 10-minute relaxation recordings really helpful for reducing the fear I used to have as I drifted off to sleep, which often made me jolt awake again. I can't recommend the Sleepio programme highly enough--it's transformed my sleep patterns, and my partner of 40 years is amazed at how well I'm sleeping now (I've recently graduated, but will continue to keep my sleep diary, etc.). I wish you all the best!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello,
    My sleep problems started about a month ago. I woke up one day feeling hot about 6 am and from there it just got worse and worse. I now wake up twice per night and takes me a while to fall back asleep. I had blood test and my hormones and thyroid are fine, it does not seem to be a medical issue and my phycologist thinks is anxiety; however I cannot find the trigger- there has been no significant live events that stressed me. I do not have much issues falling asleep, but I wake up hot through the night, there is also light sweet, the feeling of being hot in my body feels totally real, just my body, anything that is inside the blankets. I take of my pyjamas but about an hour later I need to put it back as I feel cold – Can this be caused by anxiety or an sleep disturbance?
    Is anyone experiencing this?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

Hi, I'm a new sleepio member (joined today).

I have had issues sleeping for quite some time and Sleepio was recommended to me by Occupational Health.

I was diagnosed in September 2020 with Depressive Disorder and was prescribed Sertraline. I have had issues with IBS (stress/anxiety related) and the pain I feel with this has been for a lot of years. I was prescribed many years ago Amitriptyline for this and have been on 50mg dosage for many years to surpress the abdominal pain. The Sertaline affected the effects of my Amitriptyline.

Registered with Mind Matters and am currently awaiting Low Intensity CBT, during the mental health assessment, I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder (believed to have had for a long time in order to develope into Depressive Disorder as a secondary.

In November 2019, I had a car accident due to unexplained syncope (passed out behind the wheel) and am currently under a Cardiologist for investigations. I had to revoke my driving licence under medical grounds, which means that I am having to rely on others and public transport. My anxiety as a passenger is very high and hadn't been on a bus since I was 17 (now 46). I was charged with a motoring offence as a result and had to do a Safe & Considerate Driving course as a result early February 2020.

My dad was diagnosed 10-years ago with Alzheimer's and had been living in a residential dementia care home for 4-years. I visited him extremely regularly with my mum. Around the time I did the driving course, my dad was hospitalised with suspected pneumococcal pneumonia (chest sepsis), which turned out to be both aspirated pneumonia with suspected pneumococcal. He was discharged to nursing care an was under assessment. Unfortunately, during this time Covid-19 hit the UK and my dad became ill again in the nursing home and was again hospitalised with aspirated pneumonia and a temperature so had to be tested for covid-19. He was again discharged in March to the nursing home for assessment following a negative covid test. Sadly my father passed away in April 2020 as a result of his deterioration with Alzheimer's and possibly covid. The nursing home had 2 confirmed cases in March and the whole floor were wiped out around this time also. Consequently, we were unable to visit him and be with him at the time of his death as a result of covid measures. The day before his passing I moved in temporarily with my mum (categorised at risk); due to the consequences of covid and working from home measures, I continued to stay at my mums and am still staying here most of the time. Going back home regularly to spend time with my partner (thankfully only 10-mins walk from mums). My partner is a cabby and therefore works most of the time so remained better for me to stay at mums so both of us have company.

My anxiety intensified when having to return back to work at a busy college (exams team). This resulted in me having shakes for several days and not being able to relax. My Sertraline dosage was increased and I was off work sick again. I then started working from home again (under GP instruction fitnote) due to difficulties in my working environment and not being able to tolerate being around people, or noise; unable to focus or concentrate. I started with extreme abdominal pain again and am currently off work at the moment awaiting an ultrasound scan to see if gallstones, bloods came back showing issues with kidney and liver function and low iron.

As a result of all this my anxiety and depression is worse than ever and my sleeping has consequently got far worse over time. Trouble getting to and staying asleep. Just feel that if I could sleep, other health issues would improve.

Any advice and guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

I have been walking more to help make me physically more tired to see if enables me to have more healthy sleep.

I feel like I'm in a fog most of the day, my eyes sting because I am so tired, but am unable to sleep. I have trouble getting to sleep and wake up for very long periods of time. I consider myself lucky if I manage to get 2-hours sleep of an evening. I have been using an app called Headspace recommended by my GP and have been playing this during the evening to see if will help me get to sleep quicker and use to attempt to get back to sleep. Doze I found most affective, but was short lived.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sasha,
    Sorry you are having a rough time of it.
    Often night time sweats are due to hormonal imbalances depending on your sex and age. But if you’ve had confirmation from your doctor that your hormones are ok then it’s probably not (early) menopause.
    I use sage leaf tablets to stop night sweats and on the whole they work. I’m in the U.K. and buy them from Holland and Barrett when there’s a sale on as they are not cheap. (Two tablets twice a day with food.)

So what to do to keep you cool in bed? I would make sure you have a warm (not hot) shower about an hour and a half before you normally go to bed. Then do your teeth, and dress in cotton pyjamas.
    Use cotton sheets and pillow cases.
    (Another trick is to soak your feet in a bowl of cool water before bed. Not comfortable if it’s winter where you live but needs must….)

Have your bedroom cooler than the rest of the house. Once you’ve opened your window, keep your door shut so you don’t let heat out from the rest of the house. If possible, open the window after you’ve showered or had a bath, so when you finally get to bed the room will feel cooler than the rest of the house. We need a cool room to sleep better in around 18C (We have our window open 365 days of the year unless there’s a gale blowing or rain coming in.)

Once in bed, if you feel yourself getting warm, stick your feet out of the bed covers first, to help you cool down. Better to have layers to remove if you need to.
    Keep a hand fan on your bedside table and a cool drink of water to have tiny sips – you don’t want to have too much to drink or you’ll be waking up to visit the loo!

I also turn my pillow over in the night if my head is hot – I have a lot of thick, Kurly hair – so get a hot scalp – turning my pillow gives me a cool side and is calming 80))

In your head, without realising it, you maybe catastrophising what has happened over the last month and that in turn is making you anxious about going to bed – because you are thinking about the possibility of waking up sweating – so it becomes a vicious cycle.

There are ways to get around this way of thinking that the prof will help you with in future sessions – so don’t lose hope.

It’s all very real and quite stressful, Sasha and we’ve all been where you are, getting frequently disturbed sleep. It affects our day, our thinking processes etc. So it is good that you are here to address these issues. You will get help here.
    If you have any other questions just click on my name and you can leave a message on my profile page.

Hope this helps you 80))
    Best sleepio wishes,
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi Cheza,
    It’s a bit late for me to reply properly now, but I will come back here in the morning to help. Sorry I’ve only come here late this evening otherwise I would have tried to respond sooner.
    You’re having and have had a tough old time of it this past couple of years. Thoughts are with you.

Speak tomorrow
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I have “shift work”. I start at 4am, and so I wake up at 2:15am. I try to go to bed at 10pm, that's when my 11yr old goes to bed as well….so I can't go to bed any sooner than that. I have found that when I do try go to bed sooner, I toss and turn LONGER! Given me even less sleep. When I'm on holiday, I'll go to bed later, expecting to be able to sleep longer, but nope, my body will still wake up after only 3 hours of sleep or so. I bought some melatonin pills to help. But they don't. I still toss and turn for 45mins-1hr. HELP!

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi there,
    If you go onto your profile page (click on your own name) and leave a message there – it will appear on the rolling banner on the Community Page and all Sleepios will be able to see it and offer help and support – not everyone comes to these pages, sadly.
    Have you tried getting your 11 year old to go to bed at 9,30 pm – might help their sleep too?
    One of the things the prof will mention is keeping to the same routine of going to bed and rising at the same times no matter what day it is or for weekends etc…much more difficult for you because of shift work. It seems it can give our brains the wrong signals and cause jet lag.

Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi, yes I find this really counterproductive. Trying it to look at the time yet having to in order to complete the diary. If you leave it until morning you are bound to be inaccurate.

• Sleepio Member

• 33 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

Hi Gilly,
    What I have tried to do over the course of my time at Sleepio is be consistent – what you're looking for is improvement in your own sleep not just to provide completely accurate data. If you're wrong every night about your sleep patterns at least be wrong the same way every time! This gives you a base line for improvement.

Therefore I don't focus on the timings in the night but put down what I remember down in the morning. I generally wake 1 to 3 times. If I don't remember very much about it I put down 5 minutes per awakening, if I think it's been a while but I fall back to sleep I put 15 and if I haven't got back to sleep for ages or I get up I put 30 minutes or hour if it's really long. I also use the anything else box to write explanations that will help me when I look back on previous weeks as to my frame of mind or reasons why I might not have slept well.

So many of the things on Sleepio seem counterproductive or restrictive – go with it as the benefits outweigh the irritations of an imperfect system!

Hope this helps,
    Jarabia :)

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I’m the same. I don’t always remember the times in the morning so I just try and keep little notes here and there.
    I’m new at this too, so any help, or advice anybody can give would be most helpful. Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hello all. I'm part way through week one and pleased to find this community. I've been reading the hormone section which is interesting and wondered if anyone else has to factor diabetes and its various medications into the mix?

Return to top