• 63 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 28 comments
    • 2 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Have experienced the same problem as well as 'brain fog'!

• Sleepio Member

• 36 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Hi I am new to Sleepio too and am sure my memory is affected. One difference with me is that I write out a shopping list and then forget the list! I am nearly 73 so maybe age has something to do with it. I hardly ever have a good night but when I do have one I feel like a different person. Do hope Sleepio works

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hi there Always (and Blodwen),
    Memory is definitely affected by poor sleep! I have experienced “brain fog” when I was sleep deprived also. I hope that both of you are able to stick with the program and see improvements in your sleep. It is a tough course, but well worth the effort! I suffered from insomnia for so many years (since early childhood) that I had no idea what a good night's sleep felt like! Several years on and I sleep well almost every night – the difference is amazing.

• Sleepio Member

• 36 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Hi Laureloakwood It is now 0300 and I'm totally awake and also suffering from restless legs. Needed to go out later this morning but know I'll be cancelling again. Sleeping pills used to work but now have little effect. Just wanted to grumble to someone. Always tired

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 251 helped
    Graduate

Take heart, Always tired. I remember that feeling all to well, and never thought I would feel “normal” again, but this programme did the business for me, so I hope it will for you too.

• Sleepio Member

• 36 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

thank you Marie Elaine I hope it will help me but I find it difficult to challenge the feeling that if I don't sleep I will feel ill the next day as I KNOWthis happens. How can I tell myself that my body will cope when it never does?

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Dear Always,
    Maybe you should stop trying to tell yourself you will feel fine after a bad night if you know this to be untrue. You might find it more helpful to be straight with yourself. Try accepting that you will feel ill, but that it is natural to feel like that after a really rough night and try to take the pressure off yourself that you must get some sleep.
    It is horrible to have that hollowness from sleep deprivation, but it will pass. Plus it will build sleep pressure for the next night.
    Do you take some light exercise each day to combat the restless legs? My partner suffers from this occasionally and has tried many remedies. He finds that it is less likely if he has had a walk around the block in the evening.
    I'm afraid there is no “magic pill” for insomnia! It is a long and difficult road to recovery – but it really IS worth the effort. Hang in there and feel free to rant on sleepio if you need to – you will find many sympathetic ears…
    Best wishes. xx

• Sleepio Member

• 36 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Hi Laurel Thanks for your understanding. It actually helps to know that other people have been helped with Sleepio. I do walk a lot and am grateful to live in a beautiful part of Derbyshire. Must stop grumbling, but don't expect I will!
    take care x

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Grumble away!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi just started week 3 – finding it terrible – particularly making myself stick to the regime and also getting up during night when I can't sleep. Up three times last night for over 2 hours – feel awful.
    I can only hope it gets better – reading the comments makes me feel much less isolated.
    Thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hi Orpierre1,
    If you have just started week 3 and sleep restriction, you are already aware of the basic needs your body has for sleep. There's no easy way through sleep restriction, unfortunately!!
    The most important thing to remember is that your health and wellbeing are paramount. Yes SR will only work well if you stick to the regime, but if you need a lie-in to help you cope with the tiredness then have one: no one is checking up on you!
    Please don't feel like a failure if you don't achieve perfect sleep after 1 week of SR – it takes time to re-connect your brain and body to the new routine.
    Also, if you are unwell, feel free to leave the SR until you feel well again. There is no point putting your body under unnecessary stress. If you have any other conditions – and many people using sleepio do – then work with your body to improve your sleep.
    Many people with fibromyalgia &/ or ME find a flat-rest during the day helps them get through the day. Do what feels right for you and keep adjusting your routine until you are happy with it.
    Best wishes. xx

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

It's difficult for me to do SR when I can't actually fall asleep and am waiting all night for the morning. I expect I need to do the QHR but I haven't had any success with that so far. I suspect that is really what I need to persevere with in order to improve my bed sleep connection. Does it really work?

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hi Mialoux,
    QHR definitely does work! It is the absolute hardest part of SR, especially when you are so exhausted you just want to lie in bed. It is the part of SR that helps your body re-establish its bed-sleep connection.
    I used to save myself mundane household chores to do when I had to get up; loading or unloading the dishwasher, wiping down the sides in the kitchen etc. Anything that didn't require a lot of thought, but that would keep me on my feet, so I didn't fall asleep on the sofa!
    I also used to reason with myself that I had been able to function on 3-4hrs of broken sleep per night since childhood. So although I would feel crap the next day I knew I could function, plus my sleep pressure would be increased the following night.
    There is no easy way around it, unfortunately! But it does get easier as your body adjusts.
    Best wishes. xx

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi Laureloakwood

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear you have had to manage on little sleep since childhood. I've only had it since March and I'm finding it hard to come to terms with.
    I will try the QHR tonight and line up a few things to do. I can see preparation is important.
    Have you attended a mindfulness course? I went to a workshop on Saturday and found it, interesting and I am thinking of doing the 8 week course.
    Mialoux

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I would like to draw your attention to this brand-new (and yet small) study on the possitive effect better sleep have on depression.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25689725

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I think that my poor sleep pattern has affected my ability to lose weight. I have had poor sleep for over 22 years. Now that I am a widow and retired I decided after watching the TV programme that 2016 was the year that I need to sort sleep out. I have noticed that I need to brush my teeth about an hour before bed or else it seems to wake me up en route to bed. Does anyone else have any other thoughts on this?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Laure, I used to have dreadful restless legs but was prescribed a combination of potassium and magnesium plus vitamin e from a respected Herbalist. Now only have to take them occasionally

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    yes, I have also noticed that I need to used my powered toothbrush well before I retire as it has a wakening effect. I just make sure I brush my teeth earlier in the evening and only take water after I have brushed them.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I am only on week 2 of sleepio and already new and used 90 % of the ideas suggested. I am anxious to get to the program as I sleep about 4-5 hours 1 night and the next, I am up the entire night. I have been doing this for about 2 months and don't want to wait to learn QHR and SR when I get to that week. Would someone just outline it for me please?

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

I know how frustrating it can be waiting for things to happen or improve!
    You need to understand that this course does not offer a “quick fix” for sleep problems. Even once you have completed week three and are using sleep restriction you will be in for a tough ride, although it is worth the effort.
    I used to sleep like you do, from the sounds of it and I found it helpful to vent in the forums when I was suffering from lack of sleep. Unfortunately without seeing your sleep diary there is no way I could help you with sleep restriction right now.
    You have already completed week two, so try to hold on until week three, keeping all of the sleep hygiene habits you have been taught so far. If you find yourself lying in bed unable to sleep, get up. This is part of sleep restriction but I'm sure I'm not breaking any rules by telling you this!
    I used to keep a few boring jobs for when I couldn't sleep, like folding washing or emptying the dishwasher. Tasks that don't require a lot of brain power, but keep you awake while you need to be.
    Wait until you are sleepy before returning to bed, even if that takes hours, which it sometimes can. I consider myself “cured” now, but even so I had an awful period of bad sleep over the last couple of months & had to return to the strict regime I used on the course. It helped me get back into the swing of bed/sleep again.
    Another recommended activity for wakeful times is colouring in. I got a lovely colouring book from a cheap shop & some pencils. This is a lovely activity to do, without having to worry about staying inside the lines too much, because it breaks the thought processes your brain will be going through. It can help you feel sleepy quickly, so you can then return to bed.

Hang in there! Sleep restriction is coming & it's hard work, but worth it.
    Best wishes. xx

Return to top