Sugar Intake & Sleep Quality

Hi

I am noticing that if I have anything sugary to eat or drink in the evening I am more likely to have disturbed sleep. I am now able to return to sleep quickly but wake feeling 'hung over' and unrefreshed. Has anyone else noticed this?

Posted 11 Nov 2012 at 11:05 AM
  • 20 comments
  • 14 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 4

Yes definitely! If I have some chocolate or sugary snacks late in the evening I will wake up anxious during the night or else wake in the morning feeling like I haven't slept right…I've found if I have a healthier snack at night like some cashews or almonds I sleep much better. But I'm not always so wise sadly :)

Also alcohol at night gives me a very restless and unfulfilling sleep. Why is it always the nice things!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Yes me too pumpkin – especially chocolate but of course that has caffeine in too. I think a lot of sugar wakes you up feeling hungry in the middle of the night too.

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

But what about the recommended 2 kiwi fruit one hour before bed? Full of tryptophans to help you to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your replies :). Dream on I did not know about the 2 kiwi fruit – is that a Sleepio recommendation?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I am also upping my activity during the day to try to make my body ready for sleep – I am sleeping better and have a sleep efficiency over 90% ... But still waking unrefreshed :( I am anylysing everything to enable me to wake refreshed :)

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Pumpkin,
    Do you feel better later in the am? It can take me sometime to “come-to” but the am should be and usually is my best and most energetic time as I'm a lark. 90%+ is impressive.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi Suella I start to 'come round' mid afternoon – Previuolsy I always was a natural lark and early to bed early to rise kind of girl – with bucket loads of energy. If I can get feel half as energetic as I used too it would help. I went cycling yesterday and covered 12 1/2 miles but needed the rest of the day to recover. Being chronically tired affects every aspect of my life from being efficient at work, household chores and social and recreational activities. I just try to carry on as normal as I can under the circumstances.

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

No not Sleepio. It was on Food Hospital Channel 1V in October. One or two of us here are trying it. Some think it helps. Kiwis are rich in tryptophans which are precursors for serotonin which triggers sleep.
    Some research was done. What's the harm?

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have heard about the kiwi trick but it does seem strange to eat fruit at night – I always believed this was unhealthy for the body, bananas perhaps being the exception as they are supposed to be sleep-inducing. I have tried a carb-rich snack as recommended by the community and that does seem to help, though not with my waistline!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Hello everyone here's a link to a good site that lists 7 good foods for good sleep
    hopefully this will help someone

http://www.naturalnews.com/024436_foods_sleep_food.html

All the best…......Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 31 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

In the past year I've been experimenting with my diet, to see how it would affect (improve) my sleep.
    One of the things I did, was go 'paleo' in combination with very low carb (at most 30 usable grams per day, from vegetables). While my physique improved (less fat), my sleep did not improve.
    Then, I added carbs, and specifically carbs in the evening. I noticed: – when I eat too many carbs (>200 g) I won't be able to sleep. (high body temperature, faster heart rate) – when I eat the right amount of carbs (100 g) I can sleep.. (but not consistently)

One of the things I've read is that some carbs are required to get the tryptophane through the blood-brain barrier?

Currently, my diet is: low carb all day, except for an hour before I go to bed. Then I eat one ripe banana.

Now, this is all based on n=1, so I wonder if more (scientific) information or experiences (from people here) is/are available about the influence of diet on sleep? Or people who also eat low-carb or Paleo?

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

I've been told over and over to go on paleo if I want sleep, but never could commit. Plus, I don't feel like I should have to change drastic parts of my life to sleep since I slept just fine before.

I am convinced through this program that when chronic insomnia occurs doing things differently can help, but what really needs to happen is a shock to the system and a resetting of the sleep clock (which SR does). I have literally tried everything, I did try Paleo for a week with no results…and sleepio is the ONLY 100% natural thing that seems promising.

I do know that the liver performs some function around 3-4am and it is suggested to eat some protein before bed to assist with this. Might wanna google that to get more info. But really, you eat well, you exercise…I would suggest focusing on the sleepio program before worrying too much about changing everything else!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I was so glad to read your post! I thought I was being neurotic because my sleep efficiency is 90% too but I still feel like I spend way too much time awake at night. I wake up 8 to 10 times every night! Did you find any solutions?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 4

Seth Roberts has a blog (Seth's blog) and has blogged recently on his and others experience with a teaspoon to tablespoon of honey right before bed and how it helps with sleep. Anyone have knowledge / experience with honey (Robert's says it is specifically honey – not carbs or sugar in general).

• Sleepio Member

• 31 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

here's an article about influence of hi-GI ('dirty') carbs on sleep onset:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/2/426.full

summary: hi-GI carbs 4 hrs before bedtime can reduce sleep onset.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I go to a self-help group (not for sleep) on Monday nights and there are always lots of biscuits, sweets, grapes and chocolatey things on offer. I have noticed that when I eat a lot of them (I can't help myself but I guess I will have to try!) my sleep is worse. Also, I think I am quite 'buzzy' from the talking, being with friends etc and that affects my adrenaline levels.

• Sleepio Member

• 67 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

I have not noticed a correlation between sweet things and sleep but want to know if others are affected by alcohol and sleep. I'm not talking about drinking loads, but I have noticed a definite dip in the quality of sleep if I drink even a glass of wine – and one glass is hard. It is a bit of a catch 22 situation I find – that alcohol helps get to sleep but not stay asleep or sleep well. I do like the occasional glass – how have others found it?

• Sleepio Member

• 112 comments
    • 20 helped
    Graduate

Just noticed article on research into omega 3 helped kids sleep better….

....β€˜For example, lower ratios of DHA have been linked with lower levels of melatonin, and that would fit with our finding that sleep problems are greater in children with lower levels of DHA in their blood.’.... Wonder if this relates to adults too…..

Mind you oily fish in diet is good for you anyway

• Sleepio Member

• 107 comments
    • 43 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jude,
    I've just noticed your comment about eating sugary snacks and also going to the self-help group. I'm no expert on the food stuff – but I know that whenever I have any social interaction in the evening, especially if it's after 10.00pm, I have to spend a couple of hrs winding down before going to bed. I hadn't ever really thought of it as adreneline, but, come to think of it, that's what it feels like – an energised, 'buzzy' feeling. I even stopped answering the phone after about 8.00pm, in case it was someone who wanted to talk for an hour! It makes having a social life very difficult, and can mean a very late bed time sometimes. I really envy people who can just switch off!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi all. I recently posted a similar discussion – sorry I missed this one!

I actually gave up sugar about 5-6 weeks ago – which is exactly when my sleep problems began.

From the reading that I've done, if your blood sugar gets too low at night, your body produces too much of the stress hormone at around 3-4am, which wakes you up. This was interesting to me as my blood sugar must be a lot lower than it was before.

I have however now added fruits back to my diet and tried snacks before bed – but this isn't helping. Seems it's put me into a bit of a pattern of waking up at 4am every night (and 2am too if i'm lucky!).

Return to top