Student Sleep

Being a student can bring up specific challenges for sleep, from the bedroom environment to academic concerns. This is a place where you can discuss anything related to student sleep, and completing the Sleepio course whilst at university.

For additional advice on tailoring the Sleepio strategies to student living you can also add a question to the ‘live expert session' run each Wednesday – you can access this discussion via the yellow banner on the Community.

Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 6:40 PM
  • 11 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

What I'm concerned about is that I'm in week 3 of the course and my room is a typical student room where most of my relaxation occurs as I'm not living with friends just in student accommodation. My room has my desk and bed and an ensuite. I change and make my bed every morning so that it's more like a sofa than a bed so I can watch TV and what not somewhere more comfortable than the chair that I have in the room as I don't particularly like the communal area so I feel like I'm going to have more problems this week as getting up and going out of my area to the communal area may be more disruptive etc. I just have a few concerns and wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation.

Hope the course is going well for everyone.

BBS

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm also a student (who would have guess right?), where my bedroom is my work area. I've had varying degrees of insomnia for years and years, and sleepio is helping me tackle my last issue with sleep, staying asleep.
    I'm in week 3 too! Feeling nervous as I'm a final year student now and I'm afraid this week will disrupt my work flow, but as for your concerns, I fixed my issue of getting to sleep by seperating my bed from my desk, if you find this difficult to do mentally because you can see your bed from your desk, try repositioning your desk so that you cannot see your bed from it. If neither of these help, you could try and invest in a screen or clothes rack to put between your desk and the bed, keep work and sleep seperate!
    I'm still waking in the night sometimes, going out to the communal area isn't that bad, just keep things quiet haha!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

My student- related problem is that I struggle to re-adjust on nights in as I have more 'mid-week sessions' of drinking and going out during the semester compared to on holidays when I'm just working. I feel like my body is used to not being sleepy before 02.00 – 03.00 so I just don't go to bed before that even when I'm just staying in doing nothing. Any tips?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I have a similiar problem like mikaelakriss.
    The last weeks I often can't sleep before 5 or 6 am.
    Sometimes it's easier for me to stay awake 48 h than to go to sleep. After I sleep again from 6 am, waking up several times, finally getting up around 4 pm.
    I feel like I am crazy. : (

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Until I started Sleepio, my bed schedule was all over the place, just like yours, often not going to bed before 2.

It seems to be that my sleep efficiency was poor because of this and just lying in bed for too long.
    Excluding the first day of week 3, I've had over 90% efficiency now and I regularily go to bed between 12 and 1 in the morning and get up regularily between 7 and 8.

Having a set time for bed has really helped me to sleep all through the night, the first week of SR is hard but if you can teach your body to be woken at or just before your alarm then you will sleep much better!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hello, I've found that keeping a regular sleeping pattern in university is quite difficult, particularly around exam season or when deadlines are due. Usually it only takes 1 night of reduced or missed sleep and my sleep pattern fluctuates wildly for the next 4 or 5 nights before stabilising again.

Something I've found really helpful about the Sleepio course is that it changed my attitude to tiredness. I used to think that missing sleep was the cause of my feeling tired, which was having a negative effect on my work and relationships, but I didn't realise how psychological the link actually was! Now I feel much more alert, even if I only manage to get 3 or 4 hours in a night, since I'm confident in the knowledge that I'll get all the rest I need back again the following evening, or the one after that.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

So glad I live in a onebed (student luxury!) now. I wonder if there are any unis that offer one bed flats as an adjustment for students with sleep difficulties? I lived on campus for the first two years of my current course (because of other health issues) and studio living was tough in terms of sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

Does anybody else worry that they need too much sleep? I've just done week three, and he's all like 'this is going to be super hard', but it says I need 9.5 hours sleep minimum, which is loads!

I've also done pretty good for sleep efficiency, because I just stay on my computer until I'm knackered and then fall into bed, but the problem is that this means I sleep best around 3-4am – fine in the holidays, but not when lectures start again…

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello
    Does anybody also have difficulties prioritizing the sleep regime and exam/coursework deadlines? Although there are guidelines as to when we need to wind down etc., it just doesn't seem as important as working a couple extra hours and getting a better grade! Also it adds new worries that can be thought through with the thought checker, but in reality for me if the worst thing that could happen is i'm late and miss the exam or I can't answer the questions and do terribly, is actually a valid reason to worry…

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I am a student who also has a part-time job doing shift work, but I often pull full time hours. This means that my sleeping pattern is completely off. I don't feel tired until 2/3 am and im not falling asleep until around 4am and then because im so tired in the morning due to waking up a lot and going to sleep late, im then too tired to get up and so am in bed until 11/12 so half my day is wasted.
    Any tips in how to bring my nightly routine forward so im falling asleep around 11pm/midnight

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm a medical student and had just finished a set of exams before I applied for sleepio. I really wasn't feeling good about myself and life at the time. When the course started(sleepio) the exams finished so it's hard to say how much of a difference that made, but I'm back to sleeping well again. I'm a bit worried when it gets busy again I'll fall back into old habits so I guess the best thing is practice while it's going good and hopefully when it gets tough again I'll be more proactive in dealing with it.

One more thing I'm an old guy(30s) so it's probably different for me, what I will say though is these things can be learnt so don't panic if you're having a rough time now, it will get better. And try and find something better than shots toe spend your student loan on. Gym memberships for example? Good luck everyone.

Return to top