Snoring & Sleep

Ok….. I snore and could without any practice represent the UK in the 2012 Olympics if there was a category! (It's not sleep apnoea had that checked out 18 years ago). Over the last few years I feel the quality of my sleep is not as good as it once was. I snore more and tend to wake up later, feeling a little tired (but not to the point where I have difficulty functioning). Alarm clocks no longer wake me regardless of how loud they are so I've structured my day to make sure I rarely have an early appointment.

Could I have a sleep problem related to my snoring? And what should I do about it?

Posted 19 Aug 2011 at 3:45 PM
  • 24 comments
  • 7 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sleepspace
    Maybe there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I have been driving my partner crazy for ages with really bad snoring and with gaqsping for breath in the night, I must comfirm what Andrew has said 18 years is a long time ago

I was diagnosed with OSA and since using a CPAP my snoring has dissapeared, yep it's not great having to wear one HOWEVER the benefits outweigh the dangers of OSA or sleep deprivation.

This site is very good and lets face it we are all in the same boat…So Good luck and let us know if you get a referral….All the best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 40 comments
    • 24 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Pre-course

Andymoir, pleased to read that you have undergone an overnight sleep study, and have been diagnosed as suffering with Obstructive Sleep Apneoa.

What type of CPAP machine have you been provide with? continuous pressure, bi-pressure or autosensing? Presemably, you have been provided with a full face mask?

I have just taken delivery of a new ResMed Mirage full face mask, and it is a big improvement on my old ResMed Mirage full face mask. The mask is smaller, which means less contact area with the face, and hence less air leakage. Also the new mask is a better seal around the bridge of my nose and, to date, no air leakage into my eyes..

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hi Andrew I have a Res med full face mask not sure which one , my CPAP is Continious pressure , it is made by Fischer Paykal and the model is an Icon premio with Humidifier

I am settling down well with the machine , I must admit I researched the Mirage mask and it seems the bees knees as they say, I hope you are keeping well catch you on email

• Sleepio Member

• 91 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing snoring?

I have snored for a few years but overnight pulse-oximetry says I don't have OSA. I am a little overweight (my current BMI is 26 (32 year old female)). But interestingly since loosing 25kg my snoring has got worse!

I sleep on my side and my family confirm I snore whilst lying on my side. I have tried the nasal strips and various anti-snore remedies that you spray into your throat (I do not advise the one that foams, it caused instant retching). I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (joint hypermobility) so have been advised not to try a mandibular advancement device (my joints dislocate easily).

My snoring is so loud that my neighbours (semi-detached house) have moved into the back bedroom in their house and my sister now sleeps with a fan on to mask the noise.

I do have a lot of problems with allergies (rhinitis) but am on maximum treatment for them and have been told that I simply have to live with the stuffy nose.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

[I have a BMI of about 29 (just less) and have had that for at least 15 years, but the fittest person I know has a BMI slightly more than me because he's short.]

I was diagnosed with minor OSA after overnight oximetry. My NHS-loaned CPAP device fixes my snoring whenever I use it.

I've tried to eliminate all drugs because I reckon I have been getting side effects from zopiclone.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

> ... have had that for at least 15 years…
    And was much less than that before, but still snored.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Sorry to hear about your Rhinitis I have tried to see what causes it and there seems to be lots of things that trigger it off, As you have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome as you say it would be unwise to use any mandibular advancement device, unfortunatly Doctors are not very sympathetic towards snorers unless you stop breathing or gasp for breathe during the night, they seem to shrug their shoulders.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

Can anyone help me to cope with a persistently snoring partner? No, he isn't fat, no, he does not have sleep apnoea, he has had a Septoplasty and he has tried pretty much everything to reduce the snoring – the GP thinks surgery may be the only answer and even that is temporary. Some nights I am so desperate, I have to go to the spare room to get some peace and quiet!

Anyone got any thoughts?

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

Ear plugs – I've become quite evangelical about these, since discovering Quies. They are made of foam and were recommended by a fellow Sleepio student. They're available on Amazon. Key thing is to roll them into a thin sausage and then pull back on the ear with one hand whilst inserting with the other. Takes practice to get the knack. With them in I can't hear my husband snore at all. They're comfortable. In fact the total silence they cause gives me a 'cocooned' feeling, which is very relaxing

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

You could try sleeping in separate rooms all the time. I know some people don't like the idea but my partner and I have done it for years and find it very satisfactory. We are both light sleepers and tended to wake each other up. Sleeping in your own room means you can turn on the light, read, listen to the radio etc as much as you like. We always come together in the morning once we are both awake and have a snuggle. Neither of us feel deprived and we get on very well!!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

Thanks tiredeyes and nightjar. I have ear plugs of the type you describe already but they are only of limited value, as sometimes I can hear him even through those!

Separate rooms is tempting but the snag is that my spouse is disabled and should he need help in the night (e.g. to turn over), then it might be harder for him to get my help if I am sound asleep upstairs (we have a downstairs bedroom). Well, I shall have to have a think about it all and see if we can come up with some sort of compromise.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hi have you seen the gadget you can get that sends a very small electric shock to the person snoring, it doesnt wake the snorer up, however I believe it trains the brain to stop snoring
    I too am Disabled and do have sleep Apnea and have found since using a CPAP my snoring is Zero, now I have to put up with my partners snoring !!!

There are also sprays out there however I dont know whether they work or not, It must be hard for you so chin up you WILL get the answers you deserve
    All the very best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 167 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

Any advice on snoring remedies, or good earplugs for the bed partner?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi there,

My partner often snores at night, and it often keeps me awake. He's tried various sprays and strips and sleeping in different positions but nothing has seemed to make a difference, and me wearing ear plugs doesn't do much to help either. Does anybody know if there's anything a GP can do? We're both keen to get this sorted!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

I'd recommend that he talk to his doctor. He may be a candidate for a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea and that is usually determined by doing a sleep study. My husband had his sleep apnea diagnosed several years ago. Believe me, I wouldn't be able to sleep at all if it weren't for his CPAP machine that he now uses every night.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 25 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

My husband snores or makes noises, such as a loud P every time he exhales through his mouth which disturbs me. He has put weight on over the last year and the snoring and noises have become worse. I noticed he had bags under his eyes and suspect this is due to him disturbing his own sleep.
    I wear earplugs which helps but am waiting for him to lose weight which may or may not happen.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

That's good to know anniem. What's a CPAP machine?!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

CPAP stands for continuous positive air pressure and it ensures that the airway stays open. The machines are by prescription only, after a diagnosis has been obtained.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm a light sleeper and have always been a bit anxious about getting enough sleep. I recently got married and my new husband snores badly (he wakes me up even when I'm wearing ear plugs and I can sometimes hear him through ear plugs when sleeping next door). We tend to spend some of the night sleeping together then when I'm woken up and can't get back to sleep because of the snoring, one of us goes into the other room.

I'd like to be able to sleep together but the snoring is just so loud and does make my anxiety about sleeping rear its head.

Any tips or advice?

Many thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Silvy,

No advice as I am struggling with exactly the same thing. The anxiety over not being able to sleep due to his snoring is (I think via self diagnosis) part of my trouble with sleeping through the night… Sorry I don't have a good answer – I've tried everything available without a prescription and the only thing that has come close is Hush earplugs. I lost my pair so will hopefully we able to replace soon. Hang in there.

Return to top