Smoking and insomnia

I have figured out that mpaired airways, nicotine withdrawal, and getting used to smoking during my twice-nightly wakenings are all contributing greatly to my insomnia.

Problem is, I am a heavy smoker and know I need to quit but am finding it really difficult. I bought patches and am going to start an online cessation program, but I was wondering if other smokers out there had any tips or ideas or good adivce on how to go about this difficult task?

Posted 19 Oct 2012 at 11:21 AM
  • 5 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Does anyone one know if nicotine replacent therapy can cause disturbance with your sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 5

I’ve started wearing half a patch, with the full knowledge that it’ll get me vivid, sometimes nightmarish, dreams. The one night I had the patch off, I didn’t get the dreams, but I also slept worse than I had the few nights I had it on.

So it’s half a dozen of one… Do I take the more restful sleep but with nightmares that plague me the next morning, or not use the patch and thus not sleep? It’s a conundrum.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Hello All, Have anyone thought about talking to your GP about taking I think it's called Zyban tablets, there is another called Champix which I believe is the more effective one, I too am a heavy smoker and I get up for a drink in the night and always have a smoke, I am too stressed out about hospitals etc to give up but for those that do
    GOOD LUCK !
    all the best…......Andy
    just googled this and there is another called Tabex

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

hi andy i stopped smoking nearly 3 yrs ago and i take niquitin lozenges but im trying to find out if they effect your sleep pattern at all tried searching google but cant seem to find the answer. i know nicotine replacement is better than smoking but im still worried that they are interfering with my sleep, anyone else think they do ?

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

I'm trying electronic cigs. Any one else done this?

Return to top