Sleeping whilst on holiday

Hello community members, I was wondering if anybody had any tips and advice for me with regards to sleeping on holiday. I have just about got in to a sleep pattern, but have not stayed away from home.

I really am looking forward to this holiday, but I am really nervous that I might not be able to sleep when I am away, any tips and advice you can give me?

Posted 4 Dec 2012 at 5:32 PM
  • 35 comments
  • 10 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Angief…sorry for the really late reply. Have been battling a cold for the past 2 weeks which has significantly disrupted my Sleepio progress. Here are the 2 email replies that I received from Sleepio about putting the course 'on hold':

“I'm happy to confirm it's no problem at all to put your sessions on hold and without any action on your part! To explain, each session unlocks 7 days after the previous session is completed and it remains available until you are able to log in and 'visit The Prof'. So, your next session will still be available to watch when you are ready to resume after the holidays and further session won't unlock until it is completed.

You might however want to turn off your session reminders whilst you are away so that you aren't bombarded with emails from The Prof. To do this, you should log into your account and click the blue 'My account' tab in the top right-hand corner of the page. Next, scroll down to the 'Course reminders' section and uncheck all boxes in the 'Email' column. To finish off, just click the green 'Save Account' button. This will suspend all email reminders, which you'll be able to easily reinstate when you're back by tweaking these settings again.”

and

“Indeed – you can pause by just not taking your next session immediately when it becomes available. Instead, you could delay taking it for a week which would then give you time to complete the 'homework' from Session 5 and fill in your diary regularly. And, you'll also be able to refresh your memory of any parts of Session 5 in your 'Library'.

Additionally, if you intended to continue filling in your diary whilst you are ill, you can make a note of this period of time using the 'Sleep tags' section in your diary which can be revealed using the 'Add more information about your night' link at the bottom of each diary day. Creating a tag called 'ill' for example, and tagging the relevant nights, will allow you to keep track of nights affected by illness and you'll be able to compare your sleep on these nights against your average sleep in your 'Case file' (under 'Compare Sleep Tags' in the left-hand sidebar).”

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Thanks mapleleaf. So helpful!
    Angie

• Sleepio Member

• 107 comments
    • 43 helped
    Graduate

Hi Speccyguy,
    Thank you for your very understanding words. Luckily, my partner is also very understanding, and would do anything to help. I'm beginning to feel more positive about the holiday, thanks to the kind, supportive messages from everyone here.
    On another positive note, I've had a couple of experiences lately where I've had a good night following an evening where previously, I would've had a bad one, For example – I had an evening where I was rushing to complete a job application that had to be in by midnight, and last night, I had to go out for a meal and wasn't home till 11.30. On both occasions, I just made sure I took plenty of time to wind down, and hey presto, I slept! I always wake up several times, but got back to sleep fairly quickly. So – I'm thinking this bodes well for the holiday – but I'm also not going to put pressure on myself , because I know where that leads.
    I hope things are going well for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 276 comments
    • 59 helped
    Graduate

Glad you're feeling positive, Megan. It's so good to have an understanding partner. Mrs Speccy is likewise. I'm sure the hols will go fine.
    Like you, I often judge progress by nights where I sleep OK but would previously have struggled. I'm now much more consistent, averaging about 6 hours (it was 5 1/2 in November, so that's an advance), not getting many of the 95% nights, but not getting the 45% horrors I used to. And, joy! I can manage an evening beer or two twice a week with no ill effects.
    My insomnia has always gone in waves, with long periods of good sleep in between. The last time it took me over 2 years to get from about 3 – 4 hours to 7 hours, which has given me a lot of patience and a reassuring “done it before” feeling.
    Hope you keep improving. :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Graduate

Interesting about the camper van. I have found that I sleep really well when on a cruise ship. In fact, I find it often helps to imagine myself in the bed on the ship, being lulled to sleep by the ocean waves. Sometimes I complement that by listening to ocean waves on my iPhone. I wonder, could you visualize yourself in your camper van, right down to the hard bed, and get the same effect?

I'll be going away for 3 weeks soon. Not really sure how the sleep thing will work for me. On previous holidays, last summer, my sleep fell apart because I wasn't paying close attention to my routine. Planning to keep my routine intact this time!

anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 258 comments
    • 63 helped
    Graduate

Worrying less about sleep on holiday helps. It can paralyze us into not making the plans to go. Thanks to Annie, I just said the heck with worrying, and made my plans. Do any of you have that same issue?

I will be in a place where I will be able to hear the ocean waves so maybe that will help me sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

ahh, ocean waves – love that sound

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

I just got back from a tropical holiday in Bali and I thought I'd share my sleep experience there. I was wondering how I'd sleep post-sleepio so I took a short 4 days vacation. Unfortunately I barely slept for the first night due to my hunger pangs in the middle of the night. My plane landed during night time so I had an early dinner that day. I could call for room service for some food but they could only offer me sandwiches and I didn't want such a heavy meal at night. So I chose to bare with it till daybreak thinking I could sleep it off but I didn't. Thinking back, maybe I should have taken those sandwiches. The second night I had problems sleeping again. This time probably due to a little anxiety because I had a bad first night. That anxiety grew when I was disturbed by TV noises from the room next door. The stress of having to wake up early the next day also bothered me. I broke some sleepio rules like staying in my bed despite not being to sleep after some time. I'll try to stick to the bed-sleep connection rules even while travelling next time.

I went along with my planned itinerary in the day despite the lack of sleep to make myself think less about the bad nights. Then on day 3 I decided to end the day earlier and kept my next morning unplanned with no wake up time. I think that helped or I guess I was too tired I finally was able to sleep a full 6 hours. The rest of the nights got better. I was happy even if I could sleep 4 hours.

(Hope that didn't bore anyone!) I guess that made me understand what to look out for when booking a hotel in the future- #1 if a convenient store was nearby it would have helped my hunger pangs or to store some extra snacks in my luggage. #2 – An eye mask or ear muffs would be helpful to block out light or noise. Glad I survived this trip with at least a night or two with sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Those are very helpful tips yunaling. I know from past experience in hotels, not having easy access to food can be a challenge. It's good that you managed to get some sleep. I think when on holiday, it's all a bit of experimentation to see what works, while at the same time, leaving enough wiggle room so you can enjoy your holiday. I've been away for two weeks now but luckily, there is a living room where I can do my wind-down. The noise from the bars is somewhat disturbing so I have ear plugs that work well. I've been walking a lot, so in general my sleep has been pretty good. Keep in mind though, that I graduated almost a year ago. My first two holidays after Sleepio, each for about two weeks and also a week visiting relatives, weren't anywhere near as good as this one in terms of sleep. So it might also have something to do with just how long one has been following a sleep regimen.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Glad to hear about your experience anniem. I'm trying not to let this bad experience affect my future trips and focus more on how I managed to sleep a few hours at least! (which is more positive). Sometimes I hesitate to travel for more than a week for fear of insomnia. I guess I'll take this slowly, one trip at a time.

• Sleepio Member

• 258 comments
    • 63 helped
    Graduate

I see these posts here and am surprised that yours is the most recent (3+ months) since many of us go on holiday/vacation.

As I said earlier, I have a trip planned that will take me 3 times zones away from where I am, affect sleep, and all the things that you and others encounter on vacation, plus I am with a spouse who wants me to enjoy the trip. That's a big challenge. I see that many of you travel when you know it's not ideal. I get encouragement from hearing what you have to say. Anniem was and is an inspiration for me.

None of it is boring. I assure you. And many of us are going to read these posts just as I do.

You are an adventuresome fellow.

Take Care

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi caliman. Pardon my lack of posting. Thanks to sleepio i think i have been coping well with my insomnia at home. I could discipline my mind and my emotions related to insomnia better than i did before. It still happens on and off but i could cope with it better now except when im away from home. Well currently im wide awake at going 2am (since i went to bed at 10am) holidaying in beautiful japan while my friends who are sharing the room with me are all asleep. I didnt want to worry too much about sleep when i was planning the trip and went ahead with booking an overnight flight. (Im from singapore btw) and lodgings without taking in too much of my insomnia problems. I wanted things to go as normal as possible.

Now that im facing the same problem again- (being unable to sleep on the plane,and now that im at somewhere comfortable im still unable to fall asleep), im starting to question that my insomnia is most likely an issue of a state of mind that i couldnt overcome because of my previous bad experiences with sleeping when travelling overseas. I face the same worries all the time, what time should i sleep, whether i can sleep well in this different bed. Even if i tire myself out by exercising these thoughts still appear at night. And im well aware that it is also these thoughts that makes my mind too active to sleep. I can learn how accept them like in meditation despite still feeling terrified. But by the time i do, my sleep bed connection or my body just cant seem to sleep despite my mind being finally at peace. Or maybe my mind isnt still at peace. Im still disappointed why the same thing keeps happening over and over. until i learn how not to be disappointed, frustrated or worry about it, i cant sleep well.

I want to enjoy my trip so bad, it's stressful. Pardon my outpour, but talking about it made me feel better. Thanks for probing and the encouragement, i'll keep this thread posted to see if i can survive this and still enjoy my trip.

• Sleepio Member

• 258 comments
    • 63 helped
    Graduate

Excellent! Yunaling, you get an A++. I have always spotted you as very articulate, no doubt partly due to your Singapore education, but also you. You put it all out there. Refreshing. If it helps you, bravo. I was glad to see your recent post! I can assure you that it helps me and probably others who will come forward as the sun progresses across the globe. I can relate to being awake when another one nearby is sleeping. So much of this is what our minds do with it. All of the tools and techniques that we have learned here are stressed (!) as being helpful to us to manage our stress. That is what prevents us from sleeping. Now I will do one thing that will help me.

I am facing a similar decision about taking a trip for two weeks. I will discuss it some this week and decide what to do this weekend. Clearly, this has to do with all the things you are saying here.

I know you and know that you can see the positive side of things. So, do enjoy the rest of your trip, find fun it it and don't try to judge it or yourself. That's what I will tell myself too.

More to follow later. Greetings from drought – stricken California. We are a contrast here. Lots of good things and lots of bad things. More about that later if you want….

Cali

• Sleepio Member

• 337 comments
    • 38 helped
    Graduate

Hi yunaling

I hope you are able to enjoy your holiday despite the insomnia. I would definitely say get up early rather than stay in bed. Obviously it is difficult to do QHR as you will keep disturbing everyone, but I would probably make the decision to get up at 4 or 5am if that is possible.

Have a lovely time!

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi anniem. Just thought I'd reply you here (your long message on my profile) so that it'd be helpful to anyone having sleep problems while travelling.

“Time change adjustment, try to follow the new times for everything else – wake-up, meals, etc. The bedtime will fall into place on its own – you can't control what time you fall asleep but you can control what time you get up.”

I find that whilst travelling it's like going adjusting oneself to another new SR again. This was definitely the way to adjust my body to the new time zone in another country. I find that my sleep improved again after a rocky first two days when I wake up on a similar time everyday despite whatever time I tried to sleep. I'm on the 5th day of my vacation now and my body automatically wakes up on that time even without an alarm. So I guess you may expect a first few days of bad sleep but take it that your body is slowly adjusting to the new timezone and environment. It's a process to get use to a new place. Don't panic if you can't sleep well on the first few days. It will get better.

“Once you get up in the morning, put these sleep worries into a little box, tie it up and put it into the room safe and then go out and have a lovely day. You can't make yourself sleep and rest assured you will have done all you can.”

This is great advice to put those sleep anxieties to rest! I have a quote myself to keep myself going when my sleep anxieties come to haunt me again. “Do the thing you fear, and the death of fear is certain.” I was cautious and hesitant whenever I'm asked to travel out of country but I decided to do exactly the things that scare me – An overnight flight, a long vacation of more than 3 days, a country with different timezone, having to shift more than 2 accommodations within the holiday. I figured I want to plan my trip without considering too much of my sleep worries. Sometimes I feel the more you plan in consideration of them, the more afraid you are to face them. I imagine it to be a monster that follows you all around. So instead of running away and setting up booby traps to make sure your monster is contained, maybe you can try inviting him to your house for tea and make friends with him. It's all in the mind.

There are also times when these positive messages fail to get through and my anxieties took over. Instead of saying “the” (the sleepio way) over and over again when I couldn't sleep. I repeated to myself “it's okay” instead no matter what I think and just have faith that it will be okay no matter how bad the consequences of not sleeping will bring on to the next day.

I hope all these help in some ways and I believe I'll check this thread back for reference on my future holidays. Right now I have another 5 more days to go on my trip and feeling better about my sleep. I'll check back and update again if I think of something new. Have a good day!

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi Caliman. Thanks for the A++ grade. I'm glad to see your reply too. You articulate way better than I do on your thoughts and it is always nice to read your posts. A lot of kindness and wisdom there. I think we face similar anxiety issues when it comes to sleep? I hope they don't get to you too much when planning for your holiday.

Although I try to stay positive about my sleep issues, and have a number of my own solutions even to control my anxieties, I still have them. Sometimes I tell myself it's all part of being human – just the bad part of it. We have to learn how to accept it as part of us no matter how much we want to reject it. (Because I think rejecting or hating our problems doesn't work, it will only feed our anxieties)

I believe we'd face the drought too in another month or so, it is summer soon on this part of the world. Keep me posted on your trip too, I'd love to know how it goes.

Cheers,
    yunaling

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Hi yunaling,
    Such a positive inspring post that you have written. It is so good to hear that you are able to enjoy yourself on your holiday and that you have found some very creative ways to deal with your fears. I love your idea of inviting the monster to have tea! Your post is sure to be helpful to many members who struggle with the same issues. I hope you will post here again and let us know how it was for the rest of your holiday.
    take care,
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Everyone, I'm a graduate of a few months now. I still only sleep for about two hours and a bit on a really good night which is very occasionally. I have faith in the Sleepio course and am sure I will get better than I am now. It's just so good to feel supported by the team and to have learned all the coping strategies. The best one for me being the wind down time. I'm on holiday in Greece at the moment and had two nights here and no good sleep. Thank you for your comments because they have really helped me to know I am not alone. You people out there really understand how flipping awful it can be. However after reading all your comments, especially about it being quite normal to perhaps not sleep for the first few nights I feel much more positive and relaxed about it. By the way, it's no problem to go to sleep on a sun lounger by the sea, but would rather sleep at night any time. Have happy holidays everyone who is on holiday at the moment and very well done. Hope you all get enough sleep to enjoy yourselves. From Betty 21

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I actually dislike going on vacation, because it throws my schedule all out of whack.

I have to adapt to what “most people” do, and sleep at night, and stay awake during the day. Whether it's visiting an attraction, or other people, they're usually not available at 2-4 a.m. My shift, which I've worked for about ten years now, runs approximately 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. (taking travel time into account, and some minor variation)

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I will be travelling for a week in about 7 days. Can I put the program on hold for that time as I will not have access to the internet or to a computer.

Return to top