Sleeping too much - does anyone else have this problem?

Although I have insomnia most of the time, I also have what I think is called hyposomnia. During the week I snatch a couple of hours in the early morning after a sleepless night, then have to drag myself out of bed to go to work.

By the weekend I'm absolutely exhausted and when I do finally get to sleep and don't have to get up the next day, I have a marathon sleeping session lasting upwards of 12 hours.

I think my record is about 48 hours!! I do wake up in between but I'm so tired I just drop off again. This upsets and depresses me, as I feel I spend most of my working week alternating between trying to get to sleep and trying to stay awake, and then I completely waste my free time.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Posted 29 Nov 2012 at 11:00 PM
  • 13 comments
  • 8 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

No, you're not. This sounds a lot like what I get after a few bad nights. My theory is that it's “sleep debt”.

I'm hoping that Sleepio will help me with this and that when my regular sleep is better, I won't have to do it any more.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Hello Jackie

I also have a similar problem. I usually don’t have much problem dropping off to sleep but I awaken several times throughout the night for fairly brief periods. I then wake up on work mornings like a zombie and muddle my way through the day. I really have to fight the urge to nap and have an early night as I know it makes my sleep worse. When the weekend arrives I’m shattered so I usually cave in and have a long lie in – sometimes well into the afternoon – but it doesn’t make me feel much better and I also feel like I’ve wasted my free time. Then Monday comes and the cycle starts again.

Since doing the SR I have had to get up at 6am no matter how tired I feel and although I feel extremely lousy and irritable for the first couple of hours I do brighten up eventually. Unfortunately, I start to get progressively sleepy again from noon onwards but perhaps that will change as I continue with the programme.

I stumbled across the phrase “sleep inertia” when I was reading Colin Espie’s book and when I found out what it meant it really summed up what I seemed to be going through every morning.

If you google sleep inertia you’ll find some info on it but I’ve also requested for an article on sleep inertia for the Sleepio library as I think a lot of people will be able to relate to this.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

I've not had this problem myself but I think you guys will find the sleepio course helps if you stick with it. Grumpy Imp (I just love that name!) you are on the right track and I think eventually you will feel a lot better.

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

I don't have this problem either but I can see that long sleeps like this are going to prevent you establishing your biological clocks/circadian rhythms. It is working against the grain of the course, making life more difficult for you. you are possibly undoing the effort you have put in on previous nights. I know it is hard but it's no pain, no gain on Sleepio.
    You could post on the live session with Doctor Kyle on Wednesday evening re “sleep inertia” for an answer on that.
    Don't think I don't feel for you

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Great idea Dream on. I've posted a comment on this Wednesday's live discussion.

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Tori, it's good to know I'm not alone. Let's hope Sleepia will help us be a bit more consistent!

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Grumpy Imp, you know how I'm feeling! I'll definitely look up sleep inertia, thanks for the info.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dream On, I will definitely check out the live session as I haven't done this yet. Yep, I'm painfully aware that I'm my own worst enemy, but it's so hard when I finally get the sleep I desire! I've done well this weekend though, by making plans with friends for the following day. I won't let anyone else down. It's tough as I have no kids or pets to wake me up in the morning! Baby steps.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Hello All even though I am a golden oldie and a longstanding grad, I have and still do experience this myself.

I think what may be going on is sleep deprivation ( used as torture in some countries) , then followed by sheer exhaustion.

the course will help you get your sleep into a better routine.

I hope this makes sense and is helprful to someone…All the best…...Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 7 helped
    Session 3

Absolutely! You are not the only one with this problem. I kind of go back and forth between sleepless nights and then sleeping for 10-12hrs at a time. I have a horrible problem with getting into a sleep schedule and I'm desperately hoping that this program will help get me on track and help me to start getting off of my sleeping medication.

• Sleepio Member

• 61 comments
    • 19 helped
    Graduate

You are not alone. My current sleep schedule that my body has seemingly chosen naturally is 12 hour sleep shifts one day and then no sleep for two days. I can't handle it anymore. I need to get regular sleep and I am so tired and frustrated!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

When starting sleep restriction sleepio told me I need minimum 9.5 hours! Which I thought was quite funny as the prof goes on to say all this stuff about how I mist be feeling worried about getting such little sleep…

I definitely have the problem of sleeping loads – I find it extremely difficult to wake up, I feel as though u have no control over when I get out of bed as my body pretty much takes over. Even my partner struggles to wake me and get me up. Regardless how much I sleep I always feel tired and it's quite depressing.

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Only when I'm sick. I seem to get more sleep then. Sometimes twice as much as usual.

I wake up, generally, when I'm ready to get up. No alarms can wake me. I've woken up, sometimes, where the alarm had gone off 20 minutes prior, and it's a constant alarm, it doesn't shut itself off. So I quit even trying to use them.

Return to top