Sleep Apnoea

This is where all OSA sufferers can discuss their CPAP machines , makes models tips on face masks and accesories and generally to help one and another!

Posted 17 Nov 2011 at 11:29 PM
  • 42 comments
  • 12 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thanks for your kind reply, not sure how long viruses live on a surface, I suppose its down to heat in the room , I do use antiseptic wipes however as they use a soft gel inner to the mask I have to be careful what I cleanse it with , the tank I use baby steralising tablets this is ok as its made from hard plastic.
    yes the answer is I do use it at night times only, my main problem at the moment is the build up of fluid on my chest, possibly from breathing in humidified air
    thanks for your reply it was nice of you to care and answer…..Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Having a rough time with my OSA at the moment, I know I have to wear my CPAP mask for my own safety etc, however after the night I had last night, I not only think about throwing the machine in a skip, but generally its getting me very down
    LEAK LEAK LEAK all night any ideas?

• Sleepio Member

• 91 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Hi Andy, sorry to hear you are having problems with the CPAP machine and mask. Looking at your previous threads there are a couple of questions. Not sure I can help but I will try.

Cleaning the mask – I would check with either the sleep clinic or the mask manufacturer but most medical things are okay if sterilised in something like Milton fluid (used for baby bottles and teats). I used to use a nebuliser for asthma. The cleaning instructions were to wash the mask in warm soapy water, rinse well and leave to air dry or wipe with a soft tissue. There should be an instruction book with the mask but if not have a look for the manufacturer online – they are usually happy to give advice to people about the equipment or send out another booklet.

Fluid on the lungs. Although it seems logical for humidified fluid to cause breathing problems, in reality it doesn't. When breathing normally the function of the nose is to warm and humidify the air we breathe before it reaches the lungs. The humidifier on the CPAP is designed to replace this natural nasal function.

Some patients with pulmonary oedema (fluid on the lungs) we actually treat by using C-PAP or Bi-Pap (Continuous positive airway pressure or Bi-level positive airway pressure) the increased pressure in the lungs helps prevent fluid from leaking out of the blood vessels into the air spaces (or may help push it back out of the air spaces) so CPAP shoud help rather than cause this problem.
    I know you posted that last week and things have hopefully improved but I would encourage you to see your GP to get your chest checked. You may have a chest infection or may need a chest x-ray to see what is happening or a tweak in your heart tablets. Really need someone to put a stethoscope to your chest rather than speculate online.

Leaking mask. There can be lots of causes for CPAP masks leaking. Sometimes taking all the velcro straps appart and having a good re-adjust of them can help (they stretch over time so may not fit the same way they did originally). It is worth doing this with the CPAP on during the day when you are awake and alert, rather than stressing about it when you should be relaxed and ready to sleep.

Another cause may be your recent cold / infection. If your nose is more congested than usual then the pressure may be building up inside the mask rather than travelling through your nose. This can increase the number of leaks you get. If you are congested then breathing steam from a hot bath or bowl of hot water can help as can things like Vicks and Olbas oil. I don't know about using them with the CPAP but certainly using them in the evening before putting on the mask would be fine.

If those self-adjutment techniques don't help then I would contact the sleep clinic. They should be able to review you and advise on adjustments or possibly a different mask. It might be better to try a full face mask during colds etc. They would be the best people to advise on that.

Hope you get a better fit with the mask tonight and don't have those annoying leaks squirting in your eyes!
    Enfys

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hi Enfys once again thanks for coming to my rescue, I am sure re: the chest infection has been ongoing for sometime however just doesn't seem to be clearing up, so I will book in to see my GP asap

the velco straps have definitely stretched over time, I dont want to ask for another mask as the cost is horrendous I am hoping they will be able to supply the straps alone (cheaper option)

I often use vicks for nasal congestion, I usually put a minute bit under each nostril, you can put a wee bit on a tissue and place near the air intake however this may cause damage to the filters, I have got my partner to look at the straps and they seem 100% better

I will try milton for the face mask I use this to steralize my water tank and that seems to be stopping caulking up with scaling due to our water down here, I know I must stick at it as I know it's not a choice really if I want to keep myself safe and keep my driving license. for those that drive and have OSA please note you have to let the DLVA know if you suffer with OSA.

Thanks for all the great info ..heres hoping for a good nights sleep, and you take care too….Thanks Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 91 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

I hope hissing sid was a better companion last night.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

yes Enfys dear frein I got my partner to pop the straps in the washing machine and lo and behold they shrunk just enough to fit a treat, I suppose you probably think that what I have to put up with is nothing compared to others and you are 100% right, I read your post on your profile and what is going on with me is humbling compared to yourself, your a fantastic person always helping others and you have so much to put up with yourself, and I say from my heart a big thank you.

Last night was a bit of a struggle the CPAP was pretty noisy, I found that at all times the inlet filter must be clean, also I only use filtered or bottled water, I am pretty happy its 6 months since I started my treatment and all in all I do not snore , my sleep is somewhat better however when my fibro flares up sleep seems to be a struggle, my heart condition has settled mostly thanks to my present medication although I might need stents in a couple of years.

Thanks again for caring and being such a nice person….all the best ….Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 91 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Andy, I'm glad washing the straps did the trick. I'd enquire about getting a spare set anyway.
    Please don't think more of me because of my weird diagnoses or less of yourself – it is almost impossible to compare even 2 people with the same conditions. Personally I have days where I feel in control and positive about things and other days where I just want to hide under the duvet and cry.

When I was told by ENT that I had severe OSA (based on overnight pulse oximetry) I felt really happy that there was an answer to why I felt so tired all the time. When I was telephoned later and the dr said he had misread the test results and it was infact normal I was so upset that there wasn't an “easy fix” for my sleep issues.

Now I am glad I don't have OSA and have realised that CPAP isn't a magic wand cure but actually a burden in itself even if it does improve fatigue. I'm really fussy about things being comfortable / feeling right (I suspect this is related to my sister's Autism – tactile sensation can be very important to autistics and I'm sure I have a few traits). The thought of attempting to sleep whilst wearing a mask is awful, I'm one of those people who like to sleep on their side with face half-buried in the pillow so not a good position for mask wearing! I salute you for persevering with what must be a difficult and frustrating treatment.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hi Enfys
    thanks as usual for your nice comments, yep I suppose some people might think wearing a CPAP would be a quick fix for sleep fatigue, yes it does help especially as I am now aware I am not likely to stop breathing during the night, HOWEVER if you have other “issues” that cause sleep disturbance then theres only half a fix

Wearing a mask is a chore however I am like you I lay on my side and try to bury my head in the pillow, however hissing sid doesnt so i have to have the top pillow the wrong way round so it doesnt interfere with the mask, there are special pillows that allow you bury your head and a recess for the mask to stop the pillow pushing the mask to one side….if you catch my drift.

Hopefully this idea might help anyone else with OSA ...thanks again Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hi all there are pillows made by CORE PRODUCTS that are designed by CPAP users for CPAP users they are 10cm in height

also Realsleep do a contoured pillow for CPAP users

both I think are expensive I think I will persevere :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hi for those that suffer with OSA I found a good site that deals with sleep apnea
    please remember this site only deals with this subject and not insomnia

http://forums.cpap.co.uk

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I've been newly diagnosed with sleep apnea. The doctor gave me several options: a device that holds the jaw forward and opens the airway, cpap, or surgery. How much does a cpap machine help quality of sleep? Even if I get enough sleep and have my SE over 90%, my sleep quality is still poor! Anyone who can give me their experience would be helpful!

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

One of the members andymoir who had cpap machine was wonderful at giving advice and support to fellow suffers, but he has recently posted he has poor health at the moment. If you check previous post on this thread or library you will probably find some good information. Good luck

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

This is a response to an old message, but I thought my experience might be of interest. When I began using the cpap machine I was given one of the full face masks. I ended up hating it within a few weeks and they switched me over to “nose pillows.” At last I didn't feel as though I was being smothered. The only problem at that point turned out to be bloating from swallowing all that air. I was then given a bi-pap machine which lowers the pressure on the exhale and kicks it back up when you're breathing in. That worked wonderfully and I've been using the machine and nasal pillows for around 15 years. Recently they came out with another nasal pillow mask that is very light, doesn't take up your whole face and is just wonderful for those who feel smothered and claustrophobic with the larger masks. I would never have known I had sleep apnea had a friend asked me if I thought I had narcolepsy (I would fall asleep in mid sentence sometimes). My GP sent me immediately for the test and found that I indeed had severe sleep apnea and had probably had it most of my adult life. It was not caused by obesity but I did put on a lot of weight when I hit my mid to late 40's. All those years I thought I had asthma and took asthma meds which just kept me awake!!

I hope this helps some people who may be suffering SA without knowing it.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

I've had nothing but bad experience with CPAP. Totally hate it. My insomnia improves not wearing a mask. I wear the mask and cannot sleep at all so I take it off after two or three hours.
    There's also the problem of leaks. I have a special pillow but maybe it isn't so good. Will try CORE PRODUCTS.
    I'm a tiny person and I'm ordering extra small straps to see if there's a change.
    I'm supposed to be having severe OSA and I'm sure not wearing the mask must be hard on my heart.
    Thanks to all for any further advice.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Lolita:

I am just starting out with the CPAP machine. I have had lots of problems finding a mask that fits properly. I can totally relate to your feelings of frustration! I am small too and I think that the majority of masks must be for men or much larger people since even the small masks leak.

The company that is working with me is very supportive and determined to find something that works for me. I noted that I do sleep better with the mask (given that I am not used to it yet and have only just, I think, found a mask that fits me properly). After using it for a few nights I got fed up and did without for 2 nights. I really noticed a difference. What sleep I got was better with the CPAP.

One thing that I have tried that might help you is a chin strap. I use a full face mask since my mouth comes open when I fall asleep. This causes leaks at the bottom but with the chin strap there are no leaks.

Hope that is helpful to you. I would be interested in hearing from some people who are currently using a CPAP.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

My success lately is due primarily to using a CPAP sleep mask from my health insurance made by ResMed. The device increases the flow of air whenever my uvula shuts off and causes interruption in my breathing and increased snoring. I have gone from 11-22 events per hour to less than 1 and no snoring. An event is a 10 second stop of breathing. The device sends the data to a satellite and I can download the data to my PC. My health worker can download the data so that I meet Medicare's criteria ( 70% use for a minimum of 4 hours/day). This keeps people from getting a free mask and not using it. I actually get tired at 10:30pm and wake around 5-6am. I got used to the nose mask. It will not end up in my closet.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have recently come back into the cpap fold. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with mild apnea and I decided to get a machine even though I was told it likely wouldn't help. At the time I was suffering from depression triggered by a tough relationship. So I was willing to try anything. Overall though really I felt no effects from therapy. Fast forward to this year and I found myself once again in a sleep study office desperately seeking help for a recent bout of sleep maintenance insomnia. This time however I was diagnosed with extremely severe sleep apnea with over 100 ahi's per hour. I asked my doctor why this was happening and they told me that sometimes these things just happen. It was also suggested to me that the previous sleep study was inaccurate. So I guess that must be it then right? I haven't gained weight since my last study and nothing has changed appreciably. I've actually lost weight and my bmi is healthy. The problem is that now I have been on the cpap for the last 6 months but my symptoms haven't improved. My readouts tell me that the apnea is being treated but my other sleep issues continue. So I'm turning to sleepio and trying to adopt healthy habits for sleep. This all seems odd though. I don't care what the doctor says. But I'll keep persevering I guess and assume it's all in my head.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I completely understand SleeplessKissinger, 6 months ago, I started to suddenly get sleep onset Apnea (I stop breathing at the point of going to sleep). After going several days without sleep and ending up in the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack, I went through home sleep study and an overnight hospital stay. I had an AHI of 93. This all happened literally overnight and I'm still trying to figure out why it started and what can I do about it. I'm not overweight, I eat healthily, and had zero stress. As a result of having issues getting to sleep, I ended up having severe insomnia. I couldn't sleep at all during the day, so would walk round like a zombie. It didn't help that all this happened in Japan, so getting diagnosed and treated was complicated (my medical Japanese is limited to ow that hurts). Also complicated by the fact I came back to the UK 3 months after it started. Thankfully Resmed supplied an APAP machine with a Japanese doctors referral, and now I'm starting the process in the UK of getting treatment which has taken another 3 months. I found I had sleep paralysis when going to sleep with the mask on because while the APAP machine would help, the issue of falling asleep caused me such an issue by body felt like it was rejecting the notion of falling asleep. I have tinnitus and a dodgy knee, and the stress made the tinnitus worse, so imaging trying to get to sleep with apnea, tinnitus and a swollen knee, to say I was a mess is an understatement. 3 months in and a stop / start sleepio course and I can now generally fall asleep fairly quickly. I just suffer from waking up about an hour after I sleep and keeping awake. My sleep restriction says I should do 5hrs a night, but I struggle to get 4. I had a worry that it was all in my head too and probably is but it still doesn't stop it from happening.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I have the dual problem of Idiopathic Insomnia and Sleep Apnoea. I have been on zimovane since they first became available and am on a high dose – 3×7.5mg nightly. The effectiveness has all but disappeared but without them I have terrible rebound insomnia and I have heard it is dangerous to come off them abruptly. I am meant to use a bilevel machine at night – the apnoea score wasn't too high as an average but was quite significant during the short periods I was asleep (sleep studies). I plan to start using the bilevel machine and mask tonight.
    I take a long long time (hours) to fall asleep and wake frequently. I never feel refreshed in the morning. I often have nights with no sleep at all. I realise that the mask may stop me wakening up so much but my past experience was that the use of the mask aggravated my insomnia. I am interested in hearing if anyone with problems similar to mine has used the Sleepio Programme successfully.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

My name is Ruud i live on the island Bornholm in Denmark,i am 52 years old and have severe birth onset idiopathic insomnia. Because i have very poor sleep and when i do sleep ( just like you ) i do have central and obstrucktive apnoea they decided that i needed to try an Apap.
    I donĀ“t use the programm but just got into it for one week to contact you.
    I have been looking all over the world for one with the same problems like me.
    I would like you to contact me but how can we do that.

We could both contact Colin Espie, and ask for the possebillity to exchange experiance

Return to top