Sleep and outward appearance

How does sleep or a lack thereof affect your looks? Feel free to discuss this with the other community members below.

Posted 24 Sep 2013 at 4:38 PM
  • 21 comments
  • 7 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 276 comments
    • 59 helped
    Graduate

I don't have this specific problem, ind, but you have my sympathy. When you're having sleep troubles, every little thing seems to compound them. However, my natural expression is a bit sad, even when I'm happy, and when I was sleeping really badly, people would comment on how tired I looked. It didn't help!
    The thought checker helped me realise that my thoughts exaggerated it (eg “No one likes me, I look awful”). This ameliorated the self-consciousness. It may sound corny, but also forcing myself to smile more made me more positive with others.
    If you stick with the schedule, you should see significant improvements in your sleep, which is the root cause.
    I can't help with any cosmetic suggestions, but I can say “Have faith” and that this is the place to come to share your progress and difficulties.
    Good luck.

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

I look awful without enough sleep, eyes really dark and heavy, add migraine and the odd sleep meds, not a good look.obviously not sure if you're male or female, I swear by “touché éclat” concealer. X

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

thanks for the encouraging words guys, much appreciated..

I'm a man, so unfortunately cosmetics are not an option :) been tempted to buy a pair of glasses to hide behind though, but came to the conclusion that this would be silly!

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

There are some natural ways, placing cucumber slices/tea bags on eyes for 10mins. Google it. Men do wear the “touché éclat” as well!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

I look awful after a bad night's sleep. My face just looks droopy and it feels worse. Of course it could be all in my head. I actually look much worse when I have a migraine. My eyes become all squinty and my face scrunched up and tense-looking. I've only just realized this. In my working career, I must have scared lots of people!!
    I agree with Nancy – a little bit of concealer does wonders to hide discolouration around the eyes. And yes, lots of men wear make-up now.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I don't get the black blue eyes, but look drawn an pale (and I have olive skin tone ,so it really notices) and it feels like my face kind of droops, like its so tired the muscles go slack or something (maybe an exaggeration)I think I either look completely upset or mad , not a good look!! I've had people tell me on and off all my life that “you look really tired” “you look so pale” or “cheer up” from complete strangers. It kind of knocked my confidence over the years, but now im in my late thirties I feel im allowed to look tired , and I don't care anymore – other people would look tired if they'd had the sleepness nights ive had!! Drinking lots of water helps a lot, it plumps up the skin and also makes sure you're completely hydrated – as that can make you feel even worse.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

I agree “other people would look tired if they'd had the sleepness nights ive had!!” It seems we live in a world where we always have to pretend that all is well on the inside, even if it's not. Good for you for not caring. I do care but only because I don't want people commenting or asking me what's wrong. I just don't want to have to explain.

• Sleepio Member

• 276 comments
    • 59 helped
    Graduate

Hi Individuator As you can guess, I'm a man as well… I've only worn makeup as part of my life as an actor. But I do look in the mirror a lot (vain? anxious?) and have found that adopting brighter thoughts does brighten my eyes. Of course it's hard work forcing oneself to smile, and we just want to be ourselves. Suzie's right not to worry about it so much. I tell myself that no one who knows or loves me, or with whom I'm engaging, ever says things like “It may never happen”, it's only fools with whom I have no connection.
    You've opened up a fascinating topic, so give yourself a big :))!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

yes true. sometimes ive woken up and thought “crap, i look terrible”, but then i start focusing on being positive and amazingly i look in the mirror later in the day and i see that i actually dont look that bad.
    But the worst for me is the days when someone i know at work looks at me confusingly and asks me “have you got a black eye?” I know they dont mean it in a malicious way but its horrible because i just have no answer for them! people must think im in my a Fight Club or something !

• Sleepio Member

• 276 comments
    • 59 helped
    Graduate

You have my sympathies. I have dark bags below my eyes, but do have specs which help mask them. Why not try Angie's and Suzie's suggestions with concealer, cucumber and drinking water? Or be direct and go to a chemist or makeup counter and ask what they have. Nowadays I don't think they will look askance at you because you're male.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

to be honest, those days are quite rare (when i look so bad someone actually says something). i think a big part of it is paranoia/anxiety from lack of sleep which borders on narcissism and self-conscious/absorption. i find if i remind myself that i am not nearly as significant or interesting to others as i think i am – and that everyone else has their own inner demons to wrestle – then i feel a little better…

Again, thank you kindly for your comments folks. its been really uplifting to read these in the morning before i go to work…

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Your post gave me a laugh-out-loud chuckle. Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 31 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

yeah sometimes people say: “hey, you look really bad today..” and then I say: “thanks”.
    In reality I'm very handsome (provided enough sleep. Like, never)

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, reading this before work after a not so great night. I think you're absolutely right. Thinking about something/somebody else always helps me. Though the cucumber slices are a godsend in an emergency as well;)

• Sleepio Member

• 276 comments
    • 59 helped
    Graduate

I've had this as well – I have a face which just looks grumpy when relaxed. Even when I'm feeling fine people sometimes have come out with the “cheer up” routine. Annoying! Nowadays, if I'm feeling below par (say after a poor night) I make myself smile as much as I can and it works. It's cheesy but so what?

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

YSL touché éclat works for me. Concealer for dark shadows under the eyes. It's not only for women, so put it on your Santa list SG.

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I recently saw some photos of myself and realised just how tired I look. I know the pernicious anaemia probably means I will never look alert and healthy but would like to look semi awake. I wear specs and was thinking of switching to contacts but my eyes look really drawn and tired when I do not have specs on.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Yes I totally have that issue. Makes me feel really unhealthy and I tend to fixate on it. I saw a photo of myself taken at our in house photo studio and the circles were quite pronounced. Other people are less observant than me though.

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Ugh, I wanted to chime in because this has been weighing on me recently. When I look in the mirror, that “spark” is gone – I look old, tired, and haggard. I never thought myself vain, but this is starting to get to me! I miss looking rested and “fresh” (I don't know how else to put it). I especially notice bags under my eyes. It's been weighing a bit on my self esteem, as I'll catch a glimpse of myself out and about in a mirror or something and think how terrible I look. But, reading over the other comments has made me feel better, like what Suzie said (“other people would look tired if they'd had the sleepness nights ive had!!”). I'm trying to be a little more gentle on myself and I'm going to try the Touche Éclat!

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I must admit, after getting into a fight, in which I received a black eye, a female friend applied concealer to it, to hide it a bit.

I felt a little self-conscious about wearing make-up, as a guy, but I must admit that it worked out.

Return to top