Prof Espie asks for your thoughts on the Sleepio Community

Really keen that we make the Community the best it could be for you!
Please post here about your experiences of using the Community, how it helps you, and suggestions on how it could be improved!!

Posted 7 Apr 2020 at 10:31 PM
  • 49 comments
  • 24 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Prof,

Thanks for asking for feedback, that’s great!

I am very glad to have found Sleepio. I think the program itself is detailed well structured and thought out. I just love the sessions. I look forward to the next one and they are always really good. The persona of the online prof is warm and friendly and I find the voice sincere, soothing and reassuring. I am sad I only have two more left ;)

Even though I have learnt and executed all the sleep theory, best sleep practice, lifestyle changes and sleep hygiene decades ago already to no avail, I find the idea of following a programme like this is giving me hope of positive change and better/more sleep in time. Especially after I read the other Sleepio’s posts sharing their results.

The daily filling of the sleep diary establishes a good anchor. Even more importantly, for the first time in my many attempts of sorting out my sleep, it gives me accountability. That is hugely important. I am more likely to stick to wind down etc knowing I need to fill the diary next day.. For me this sense of accountability is vital.

Also, at last I feel I am not doing this alone. I think the idea of building a Sleepio Community is incredibly valuable. Thank you so much for including that aspect in the program. Before I had this, I felt totally alone in my sleep issues nightmare. I also felt there was something wrong with me – “why can’t I just sleep like all my friends and family can?”; “What’s wrong with me?” Etc.

These sharings and posts can make such a critical difference to the journey for us Sleepios. Just a quick share of an idea, or something that works for you can be a game changer for someone else. I have learnt some game changers from others already. So a big thanks to everyone who is also posting and sharing, there are a few and I won’t mention names in case I leave one out! But we all know who they are :) This is a warm, safe, platform and I am glad to be here amongst you guys.

I heartily agree with all of the above feedback about the communications and that it can be tricky and disjointed, but I will not repeat anything as it’s all up there. It would be great to see some improvements there. I think though, that the most important things about the programme have been got mostly right. So this improvement in comms would make it even better and richer for us.

I am getting a lot from Sleepio in unexpected ways, even though it’s still early days and my sleep has not improved just yet. And these gains are all to do with the wonderful support and input of this community, the well thought out and detailed program created by Prof Espie and the behind the scenes team who always get back to me so quickly when I make a mistake and have to ask a dumb question :)

Lastly, given how many different people with different sleep issues and needs this is aimed for, Sleepio is a very comprehensive, well conceived concept.

I have had 30 years of begging various UK GPs for help with my insomnia with no help whatsoever other than the offer of sleeping pills. Profound sleep loss has eventually had serious knock on effects and consequences on my health and well-being. I am just so glad this is out there and that I have eventually found it.

Thank you to Joseph G at the sleep disorder clinic for suggesting it, a big thanks to Prof Espie for creating it, to the team for running it and to the community for being the lifeblood and support through it. I am grateful to be here amongst you guys.

PK (week 4)

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

PS. Prof, is it possible to have a way to say that a profile post has helped please? I know that a lot of us communicate mostly, sometimes even exclusively, via the profile posts, rather than the discussions. They have been gold for me.

Thanks for considering and fingers crossed that it can be done!

PK

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Bore Da, Dai Sussex!
    Sorry you are finding SR difficult. It is one of the hardest things any of us has to do, but it works. It takes a bit to get your head around it, but I have had such a great improvement in my sleep since last November, I’m now getting good quality sleep. Quality over quantity any day.
    Please don’t give up. Anyone who finds SR and QHR easy are probably not doing it right!!
    The point you made about having to get up after having no sleep at all makes me think you are going to bed at the start of your SR time and you’re not actually sleepy at all? In which case, I would suggest you wait another fifteen minutes before going upstairs to bed then if you cannot sleep you get up after a quarter of an hour. It is really difficult but please know we understand and you’re not alone.
    Try to make sure that you are completely off all distractions and blue light emitting devices about two hours beforehand. During wind down, keep your light to a minimum, do easy puzzles, read books that aren’t page-turners, if you are at all crafty, do some craft work. Keeping your hands busy and your mind relaxed can be tricky but it is doable. Go and get ready for bed early so you’re not brushing your teeth and washing just before you get into bed or that will awaken you too.
    Do keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on.
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    Graduate

Hi PK, such a super well-thought out response to the prof's clarion call!! I am so pleased you feel the same way about sleepio as I did and still do. Even when my sleep was still poor, I could also see huge benefits in being able to follow the regime – even though it is tough at times!
    It is so worth following and sticking to it like mud to your boot!!
    Thank you PK and koko!!
    Kurly :)*

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    Graduate

Greetings Eileen and note to Prof.
    Espie,
    I think most of us would like the most recent replies at the top too! And when I respond like I am to you Eileen, it would be helpful for my reply to appear right under your comment…thus creating a better dialogue run. Then we wouldn’t be scrolling up and down trying to find the comments in return.

With regard to the questions on your own profile: when you have posted a message, it appears on the rolling banner on the Community page, for all to see and respond to if they can. Most sleepios reply on your page so you have the answers there and you are told there is a new message on your profile when you log in and go to your Sleep Diary.
    if you want to answer a particular person you can click on their name and you are taken to their profile page. If you just want to reply but not be taken to their page, you reply on your own page again. That way it keeps the thread going again, in front of you.

I’m glad you are feeling positive – it’s a touch old programme but on the whole it works for most people and many, many sleepios have managed without sleeping aids which is fantastic.
    No sleep, or lack of good quality sleep is frustrating. Just remember this is not a race, you may not get the elusive 7 or 8 hours a night that some people say we should get – but if you can get good Quality sleep, then you will undoubtedly wake up feeling refreshed and able to cope each day.
    Wishing you well and let us know how you are getting on, especially with SR next session.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I'm on the restricted sleep bit now.Like others I have no problem with getting to sleep it's staying asleep that's a problem.
    I not too concerned about the restriction as it's aiming to almost double my sleep but getting up if I wake seems counter intuitive and as I am a shift worker there is a danger thatif I engage in anything I won't feel sleepy until it's past time to get up.
    I think my nightshifts will mess it up too.
    I haven't posted much on the community bit as it is too hard to follow any thread or simply chat to others with similar sleep issues since we are all different.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Binkey,

I got a really good idea from 45x re QHR time. To not even do an activity, but sit in the dark on your sofa (or whatever) and listen to the rain rain app. Indeed any white noise/relaxing classical music/nature sounds/audiobook etc is fine as long as it works for you.

I feel like this might work and I’m gonna try it next time I have to apply the QHR. I will build a nest on my sofa every night of fleece blankies and then go straight there if I awake for more than 15mins and sit upright in the dark and listen to the thunderstorm track.

Hope this may help you too.

Best wishes, PK.

• Sleepio Member

• 121 comments
    • 42 helped
    Graduate

There are a few announcements from sleepio listed in the discussion pages. These are usually in the form of “do you live in such and such a country/region and would be willing to be involved in promoting sleepio…”. Most of these are out of date and should be deleted. Future announcements of this type should have a deadline after which they are deleted.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    Graduate

I know it’s a struggle Binkey, but remember you’re not alone here. You can always 'chat' to individual sleepios just going onto their profile page – just click on a name in turquoise blue :)
    There are other shift workers on here too – SoftKitten is one of the most recent ones. If you search for her name in sure you’ll be able to chat, having the shift work in common.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

As a newcomer to Sleepio, I do not know how one can do sleep restriction when you have just began tapering off of sleeping pills, does one have to do SR, I think this could cause a lot of stress.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

As a newcomer to Sleepio, I do not know how one can do sleep restriction when you have just began tapering off of sleeping pills, does one have to do SR, I think this could cause a lot of stress.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I would be interested in the responses to HAZE98 since I have the same problem. I have started the programme several times, but still fall at the SR hurdle since I cannot do without sleep and revert back to sleeping pills in desperation.

• Sleepio Member

• 121 comments
    • 42 helped
    Graduate

Hi Girlie. Take a look at Haze’s own profile page for a couple of answers. My thoughts are based on comments by sleepios who have managed to come off the pills gradually (Auntie Hoho for example). First off, if you are taking pills prescribed by a doctor then it is important to take your actions in consultation with them. It is possible to do sleep restriction whilst still taking the medication. Perhaps after that has settled down to a regular routine talk to your doctor about gradually reducing the dose.

Remember you have an option to post a question to one of the resident sleepio experts. The session is live every Wednesday but you can post questions any time. Just go to the community tab and there is a yellow banner across it with a link to the discussion thread. After the session it will be listed at the bottom on the list of recent discussions.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I wonder if it is posible to include surveys for the sleepios, and to know the number of members, like other programs (Telegram)

I was wondering today how many people in this program would have genetic vulnerability to insomnia. How can I ask them? Only open questions and read all the commentaries.? I think it is faster with surveys.

For me, it might have been easier to ask:

Do you think that you may have genetic or familiar insomnia?
    a) No
    b) Yes, there are some members of my family with insomnia
    c) There are some members of my family with insomnia but all of them have had habits.
    d) I don´t know

And to know number of responders and % in each answer.
    I think it may helps.
    Thank you very much.

• Sleepio Member

• 121 comments
    • 42 helped
    Graduate

It is a curious quirk of the sleepio community pages that comments made on people’s personal profiles can’t be “liked” as helpful. Thanks to the rolling banner, these apparently personal messages are often read by many others but those who are particularly helpful in this way don’t get the credit that they deserve.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

It would be really helpful (and more accessible) if the sessions with the Prof could be subtitled for those of us who don’t hear well/prefer to take in information in text form rather than audio – in fact, a transcript of each session would be great as well. Please?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Good morning Professor Espie.
    Just over a week ago I posted a discussion on the community page. The following day I received a note that it had been accepted. Because I could not see my posting on the community page and thus could not see any replies, a few days ago I emailed asking why I could not see this. I still have not had any reply and the issue that is getting me more and more depressed is not going away. Sorry to contact you this way but desperation pushes you in unconventional ways.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have menopause related sleep issues. Surprisingly, this program is working for me and I am very glad for more sleep. It would be nice if they expanded the program to work with women whom have menopause related issues.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I’m finding the discussions very difficult to navigate and use. Do I post on my profile? Do I post within the discussion? In principle it would be good to share experiences and no doubt pick up useful information but how much time does one want to spent on the computer? I should add that this is a very personal reaction and I rarely enter into any online discussions; it’s not just Sleepio! I agree with the earlier comment that it would be a good idea to have the most recent posts at the top. I think the programme itself is well structured and I believe it will help me.

• Sleepio Member

• 32 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi CarolineL,
    Yes it is very difficult to navigate the discussions – and possible to spend far too long on these pages!
    I too have never been a social media person but found the support from the community very useful when I was at a low ebb so now I still dip in and out to help if I can.

Basically if you want to share your experience/ask for advice/need some support it is much better to post on your profile as people will see it on the rolling banner and you will get more responses than on these pages. The discussion topic pages I've found useful for looking up specific questions but it seems fewer people read/comment on them, or they can disappear lower down the list on the Community page if several people write a comment on different pages around the same time and then don't get seen.
    Hope this helps.
    Best
    Jarabia :)

Return to top