Pregnancy and postpartum sleep

I'd like to hear how people have practiced the Sleepio techniques (particularly the sleep restriction) while pregnant or postpartum (especially if you are getting up in the night to breastfeed).

My sleep issues presented themselves postpartum after my second child. I would like to get pregnant at some point, and am wondering how I can keep good sleep in the picture (or at least bounce back, especially postpartum).

Posted 14 Jan 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 2 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

That's a really tough situation! I'm no sleep expert as I'm only on lesson 3. I would think it virtually impossible to have “good” sleep in the postpartum period, no matter how you feed your baby, unless someone else looks after the baby at night. Of course that presents its own issues regarding the baby's health if the baby isn't with the mother and not receiving best milk. More chances of illness in the baby, resulting in more poor sleep for the mother. I have helped many moms with breastfeeding and I know many find their sleep less disrupted when they sleep with their baby. Although it has to be done safely and there are web sites that will tell you how. I would think it possible to incorporate some of the sleepio guidelines, such as the SR and QHR, once the baby is older and having longer stretches between feedings. Hope this helps a bit.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

I meant to say: not receiving breast milk.

Return to top