New parents

A place for parents to discuss sleep issues which emerged following the birth of a child and whilst taking care of them.

Posted 23 May 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 22 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Sleepy, well I think as far as your sleep goes it doesn't matter what has caused your problem as it the effects you are left with that matter now. The cause is sleeping peacefully! I can recommend the book “Tired but Wired” by Nerina Ramlakhan which is popular with Sleepios and “ mindfulness” by Mark Williams likewise. They go along with the programme very well.
    As Agief says you are in the right place. Take a day at a time as this is not a quick fix. Just commit and don't worry.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm in your shoes, although I am the mother. I was wondering if you have any tips:
    1) to manage sleep restriction if your baby kept you up nights any way the days that she was unwell (if ever)
    2) to stay out of bed before sleep time when one needs to switch off lights and get into bed with baby, singing to her while she clings to your hair/ear before she falls asleep (she won't sleep any other way)

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

How can you get yourself back into a sleep pattern if you have babies waking up?!

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Anyone else have insomnia after having a baby? After 6 months of very little sleep (4.5hrs a night) my 8 month old sleeps through and never having had sleep issues before, I've been awake until 3:30am and getting up at 7:30am – I really need this course to work as getting to sleep is feeling almost impossible

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Hi Whitey,
    This course will help you to get your sleep back on track. A number of parents have complained that their sleep problems began after having a baby. It seems that one is on high alert for several months to look after one's baby but once that trigger has resolved, the sleep problem continues. This pattern is common for other sleep disturbances too – once the reason for the disturbance has passed, the new troublesome sleep behaviour remains. As you go through this course, slowly but surely you will develop better sleep behaviours to replace the troublesome ones and will again sleep well. But it takes time and the best is to go through the course, week by week, just taking it as it comes. Fill in your diary each morning and by week 3, you will be given concrete guidelines for your sleep, based on your diary. That will be the beginning of modifying your sleep although even prior to that, some changes in your sleep hygiene may be helpful too. You will learn more about that next week.
    Best of luck!
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks for your reply – makes sense

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

Glad I am not alone, I've always had problems falling asleep, but add a baby to the mix who wakes up 2-3 times a night is pure hell! Going back to full time work in a week, moving house and getting married, is doing nothing for my anxiety at night! Really hope Sleepio can help me!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi! Wanted to chime in as I'm in a similar place. My son was a terrible sleeper when we brought him home but improved with sleep training at 6 months. I was so traumatized by how little I got at the beginning that I became obsessed with sleep. Luckily after he began sleeping at 6 months so did I. Then at 18 months he had really bad sleep regression and began waking all through the night again inconsolable. I started sleep training him again and was so stressed and depressed about what was happening, coupled with broken sleep (hours up in the middle of the night for weeks dealing with a distressed toddler and trying to find solutions) that once he finally began sleeping I stopped. At first I didn't believe what was happening. I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown, which now I realize I defiantly was. I'm now getting help through antidepressants and therapy and am dealing with sleep via sleepio. I think without antidepressants I would not be able to take this step forward here. my toddler still wakes in the middle of the night briefly a few times a week and it defiantly disrupts the process but I figure it's way better than doing nothing. Good luck to you, so far my anxiety is down though sleep is still not great, we have to keep going though. Besides addictive meds there is nothing else and this method is proven to work.

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

How's it going for you?

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

it was actually going well for the past 3 days and then my little one woke up at 2 as i was 2 hours into a very deep sleep and from then on i couldn't get back to sleeping. i mean im sure i slept cause time went by really fast but i didnt feel like i was sleeping. i keep hearing thats common. sucks though. going on vacation on Tuesday without my little one so hopefully it will be a decent week of uninterrupted sleep (at least not by him). he usually sleeps well these days and if he wakes its closer to morning so this was an unusual blow to my sleep. oh well, ill just sleep better tonight. how is it going for you?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hi,

I have been unable to sleep (even while she's sleeping and I wake up 1-2 hours after i fall asleep) since the 8 weeks after giving birth to my daughter. Does the sleepio programme actually benefit new parents, given the mandatory night wakings for feeds?

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Whitney, how's it going? Baby sleeping? Sleep restriction?

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I'm not sure it can unless you an swap with someone else in the house – I think they probably need to state this before buying into. Of course, applying basics will still help.

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi, well I've decided to sleep back up with the hubby (after a year – good job we have a strong marriage!) – we breast fed for 9 months and have just finished so along with the awakenings of pregnancy etc.
    I'm still averaging 4.5 hrs which is what my body got used to with feeding for 6 months…if he mostly sleeps through this course would work but he often does 1 wake-up so very tricky as diary isn't real then…rah! How about you?

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

im doing better – i think. my over thinking sleep has really improved lately which is helping tremendously. my bub also still wakes a few nights a week so i know how it is. but sleeping back with hubby is amazing! thats great progress!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am in the same boat here. Does the program apply if you have a baby waking you up constantly?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have a 7 and 5 year old who will not fall asleep unless I am with them. This is a problem. I have to admit I have gotten to like cuddling with them; however, I know it is not healthy for them or my husband and me. How can I break their cycle and mine?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I forgot how to sleep when I had my little boy (now 2). He slept really well from about 7 months onwards, but I did not! Thought I was going bananas. Felt run-down, ill, out of control and so frustrated. Super-sensitive to noise and hyper-vigilant due to all that night-time feeding/crying in the first few months. My husband slept through the whole thing and has always been an amazing sleeper. I read a book by Guy Meadows, which has been really helpful, as well as doing this course (I've just done week 4). I wouldn't say that I've completely cracked it yet, but I now regularly share the bed with my husband (having sadly had an on-off sleeping together situation for over a year now, due to my poor sleep) and falling asleep has got much better, although I still have quite a few night-time wakes. I dread a regression to before, when it would take me literally hours and hours to fall asleep, but I am hopeful that I can continue to make good progress towards better sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm a Mom to 10 month old twins who have been sleeping through the night since early August. I haven't though. I was averaging 3-4 hours a night after I weaned my son and stopped using domperidone. I couldn't fall asleep after I went to sleep initially and I was unable to fall asleep napping during the day. I just finished the course about 3.5 weeks ago. Around the time I graduated I caught a cold and decided to sleep when I needed to so I could be there for my babies. I've gotten back to normal sleeping hours and have no problem napping during the day. Most times I can fall back asleep quite quickly, except for the last one before I wakeup. I haven't felt this good since I got pregnant. The program worked for me (as long as the babies sleep through the night).

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi KLo – I think we are the same person (LOL!). All kidding aside, your situation is so much like my own. My daughter, now 3, was a TERRIBLE sleeper. I, was slowly going mad from her night-wakings and I thought that once she finally started sleeping through the night that I would sleep blissfully from then on out. But, I too have been left run-down, get ill easily now (from running on fumes), am hyper-vigilant at night, and super sensitive to noise. Like you said – it's as if my body forgot to sleep and here I am years later still trying to re-learn. I just feel so much better reading these posts knowing that I am not the only one. I feel hopeful now! I'm going to try the Guy Meadows, book, too…

Return to top