Parenting and sleep

A place for parents to discuss sleep issues which emerged following the birth of a child and whilst taking care of them.

Posted 23 May 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 31 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 3

it was actually going well for the past 3 days and then my little one woke up at 2 as i was 2 hours into a very deep sleep and from then on i couldn't get back to sleeping. i mean im sure i slept cause time went by really fast but i didnt feel like i was sleeping. i keep hearing thats common. sucks though. going on vacation on Tuesday without my little one so hopefully it will be a decent week of uninterrupted sleep (at least not by him). he usually sleeps well these days and if he wakes its closer to morning so this was an unusual blow to my sleep. oh well, ill just sleep better tonight. how is it going for you?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hi,

I have been unable to sleep (even while she's sleeping and I wake up 1-2 hours after i fall asleep) since the 8 weeks after giving birth to my daughter. Does the sleepio programme actually benefit new parents, given the mandatory night wakings for feeds?

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Whitney, how's it going? Baby sleeping? Sleep restriction?

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I'm not sure it can unless you an swap with someone else in the house – I think they probably need to state this before buying into. Of course, applying basics will still help.

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi, well I've decided to sleep back up with the hubby (after a year – good job we have a strong marriage!) – we breast fed for 9 months and have just finished so along with the awakenings of pregnancy etc.
    I'm still averaging 4.5 hrs which is what my body got used to with feeding for 6 months…if he mostly sleeps through this course would work but he often does 1 wake-up so very tricky as diary isn't real then…rah! How about you?

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

im doing better – i think. my over thinking sleep has really improved lately which is helping tremendously. my bub also still wakes a few nights a week so i know how it is. but sleeping back with hubby is amazing! thats great progress!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am in the same boat here. Does the program apply if you have a baby waking you up constantly?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have a 7 and 5 year old who will not fall asleep unless I am with them. This is a problem. I have to admit I have gotten to like cuddling with them; however, I know it is not healthy for them or my husband and me. How can I break their cycle and mine?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I forgot how to sleep when I had my little boy (now 2). He slept really well from about 7 months onwards, but I did not! Thought I was going bananas. Felt run-down, ill, out of control and so frustrated. Super-sensitive to noise and hyper-vigilant due to all that night-time feeding/crying in the first few months. My husband slept through the whole thing and has always been an amazing sleeper. I read a book by Guy Meadows, which has been really helpful, as well as doing this course (I've just done week 4). I wouldn't say that I've completely cracked it yet, but I now regularly share the bed with my husband (having sadly had an on-off sleeping together situation for over a year now, due to my poor sleep) and falling asleep has got much better, although I still have quite a few night-time wakes. I dread a regression to before, when it would take me literally hours and hours to fall asleep, but I am hopeful that I can continue to make good progress towards better sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm a Mom to 10 month old twins who have been sleeping through the night since early August. I haven't though. I was averaging 3-4 hours a night after I weaned my son and stopped using domperidone. I couldn't fall asleep after I went to sleep initially and I was unable to fall asleep napping during the day. I just finished the course about 3.5 weeks ago. Around the time I graduated I caught a cold and decided to sleep when I needed to so I could be there for my babies. I've gotten back to normal sleeping hours and have no problem napping during the day. Most times I can fall back asleep quite quickly, except for the last one before I wakeup. I haven't felt this good since I got pregnant. The program worked for me (as long as the babies sleep through the night).

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi KLo – I think we are the same person (LOL!). All kidding aside, your situation is so much like my own. My daughter, now 3, was a TERRIBLE sleeper. I, was slowly going mad from her night-wakings and I thought that once she finally started sleeping through the night that I would sleep blissfully from then on out. But, I too have been left run-down, get ill easily now (from running on fumes), am hyper-vigilant at night, and super sensitive to noise. Like you said – it's as if my body forgot to sleep and here I am years later still trying to re-learn. I just feel so much better reading these posts knowing that I am not the only one. I feel hopeful now! I'm going to try the Guy Meadows, book, too…

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I signed up because I have always had trouble sleeping, but recently my 2 year old has stopped sleeping through the night, and now I'm often up with him from 4.30-5.30, and then totally unable to get back to sleep.
    I don't want to be written off as 'you have a baby' because poor sleep has always been a problem, but I'm not sure how to record that in a way that won't affect the results / advice?
    Any suggestions?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Sorry, no advice here, but wanted to comment that I'm in the same boat. I feel like the course is aimed at people who have control over what they do when, and as a parent of a young one, that's not always the case. My daughter is not quite 2, but she very rarely sleeps through the night (maybe once a month) and won't fall asleep until 11 pm some times! I wish the course could be catered to those issues if you select that you have a young child…

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Whitey, I see that your comment is from a couple of years ago, and if you're online here I'd love to know whether/how you were able to improve your sleep? My current situation sounds very much like yours was!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi HGBS21, as a graduate of the course I'm wondering if and whether you were able to improve your sleep? Do you recommend this course, as someone who wasn't able to always follow the directions perfectly due to caring for a child? I have a 6 month old baby and am waking to pump or feed him, and am trying to figure out if Sleepio can help me, or what I should do.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

SF_Mom: I would say my sleep improved a bit, although I had already stopped pumping/nursing by then so I wasn't waking as often. Part of the techniques help you learn to stress less which is always a good thing. And even if you can't follow the advice now, its good to have the knowledge for when you are able to put it into action.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Is anyone on here with 'mumsomnia'? I have a 6 month old who wakes often which makes me anxious about falling asleep before he wakes. It also makes it difficult to implement some of the Sleepio techniques so I was wondering how other people may have tackled this.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm curious if having young kids should affect any of my tracking. For example, tonight, my 2 year old has been up and crying for 45 minutes, which will destroy my sleep efficiency number for the week. I'm actually doing better with sleeping (both going and staying asleep), but can't control for external factors like this. – Do I adjust my sleep restriction times at all to account for this? – Should I plan on adding 15 minutes to my sleep window next week if the rest of my days are within my sleep efficiency goal? – How do people handle things like this in general? i find that after dealing with a crying child for that long, I'm pretty wound up emotionally and find it really hard to get back to bed.

Thanks for all your help! (Obviously needed as I type this at 3:40 AM)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hello all

I'm a new mum with a 2 month old. My troubles started 2 weeks or so after my DD was born. It started with a perception? of tinnitus in right ear, and lack of sleep with the demands of feeding a baby every 2-3 hours in the night. By week 5 I had gotten into such a state of anxiety at bedtime due to a mix of reasons (perception of tinnitus, anxiouness when it was quiet, anxiousness about sleeping itself) as I had adjusted my sleep schedule to a window between 9pm-2am (while my husband did the midnight feed), that I would become highly anxious with heart palpitations trying to sleep watching the clock countdown. Even getting into bed would trigger these feelings.

The last 3 weeks, I've had my mum come to help and look after the baby at nights while I try to seek help. I joined Sleepio, going to start a CBT course and also taking Phenergen for the nights when I really need to 'knock myself out' (though have had this for over 5 weeks and only taken it 7 times). In the last week I took it 4 times, and it has allowed me to operate like my old self – first time in weeks.

I've started a routine of having a camomile tea after dinner (rarely finish it as then need to go to the toilet after a few hours) calm myself with white noise (fan), soothing music, and a degree of acceptance rather than getting frustrated/anxious. I've managed to get to a state of calm a few times now before bedtime – a big step forward.

My question is – I've managed the last week or so to get to a trance like state where my body is heavy, my mind still feels relatively clear, and i feel i'm always on 'the edge' of falling into sleep/deep sleep? I can be in this state for 3-4 hours. This happened last night and I finally decided to get out of bed, talked to my husband for 30min or so, then went back to the spare room and read a magazine for 10-15min and found myself drifting off to sleep then. I went to bed at 0930pm – and slept circa 2am and woke up around 8am.

Has anyone else experienced this 'trance' like/semi sleep state?
    When I finally decide to get out of bed after hours of this I tend to have quiet a headache. Any advice?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I have been developing healthy bedtime routines for weeks now and have noticed the quality of my sleep increase. However, a sick baby has definitely thrown me off course lately. I keep telling myself “this too shall pass”, yet waiting in the meantime is a challenge.

Tired, yet I'm hopefully I can regain my momentum once this season has passed.

Return to top