New ideas for Sleepio

Got an idea for how to improve Sleepio? We'd love to hear it! Post it below.

Posted 20 Jul 2011 at 6:57 AM
  • 178 comments
  • 62 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 305 comments
    • 19 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Administrator

Hi Mushmellowstar, thanks for your suggestion! I believe someone else might have suggested this recently as well and your angle on it is also very helpful since it's slightly different – I wonder if other members feel that it's the profile section that hosts 'the best advice' and not the community discussions?

• Sleepio Member

• 305 comments
    • 19 helped
    Administrator

Hi Jaqs99, thanks for your question. Just wanted to confirm that Mushmellowstar is right – your banner colour changes depending on how many times your comments have been rated as helpful.

You can find a lot more information about the nitty-gritty details of the Community on our FAQs page – I'll link to it below in case it might be helpful:
    http://www.sleepio.com/faqs/

I hope this helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 305 comments
    • 19 helped
    Administrator

Hi MickiHyman, sorry to hear you find The Prof to be annoying! From the beginning Sleepio was intentionally designed in its current format with the goal of developing an online sleep intervention that is more engaging than the (often) dry self-help books and other therapy programs. I hope you have found this to be true in its delivery, even if the The Prof himself isn't your favourite person?

As there's no alternative at the moment, might we suggest to stick through the rest of the course? You've only got one core session left to complete, after all.

Rest assured we do appreciate your feedback on the character and please don't hesitate to share any other thoughts with us, either here or by emailing us at hello@sleepio.com!

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Hi Helena. Thanks for that link. I understand about the banner colours now. I 'd guessed Mushmellowstar was right. It would be good in that case if comments made on profiles ( where most exchanges seem to take place) could be rated also.
    I know it's not too important but I do have a secret longing to be a bit more purple :) Thanks again.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

I second that, about being able to indicate if a profile post is helpful. Many are just so spot-on, it would be really nice to indicate this.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

You are purple in my mind Jaqs!! =)

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Awwww. Thanks Mushmellowstar. :) x

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Yes. It may be that originally the profiles were for private one to one discussions, so perhaps not appropriate to rate comments. But it does seem that they often involve a few people in conversation and can deal with issues that affect everyone. It's true that points made in someone's profile can be of great help to other members also.

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 248 helped
    Graduate

There have been a couple of people commenting on the effects of changing the clocks on sleep patterns. It would be useful to have an expert article or at least discussion topic on this, and advice beforehand on managing the change.
    Also, in the listing of live discussions with the experts could you add the year as well as the date? If you want to look back at a discussion it's tedious having to open every one it find the more recent ones. I second the suggestion about pulling out some of the questions and responses from those live discussions and adding them to relevant discussion threads.
    Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 305 comments
    • 19 helped
    Administrator

Hi Marie Elaine, thanks so much for your suggestions!

If you would like to see a dedicated discussion for dealing with clock changes, please do not hesitate to suggest one (via the 'Suggest a new discussion' link on the Community homepage) and we will be more than happy to post it for you. It's very useful to know that expert articles around this topic might be helpful to the community and, in the meantime, we would encourage you to check out some articles we have written on the Sleepio blog around changing the clocks and how it can affect our sleep – I'll link to these below:

Spring clock change
    Spring Clock Change 2013
    How will Daylight Saving Time affect your sleep?
    Three ways to cope with the clock change

Autumn clock change
    Bye bye British Summer Time: Why the clocks go back and the effect on your sleep

Thank you also for suggesting to add the year in the title of live discussions on the Community – I will be sure to pass it on as soon as possible.

Otherwise, I hope the blog posts are useful and please do not hesitate to add any other suggestions at all!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Hi Helena,
    The greeters notice that on occasion, a member has never received a welcome and is a few sessions into the program or has just graduated. Knowing that more than one greeter receives a member's name, do you have any idea why that would be happening? Is there another way of distributing the new members' names so that no one gets missed?
    Thanks,
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 305 comments
    • 19 helped
    Administrator

Hi anniem, thanks so much for bringing this up! Sorry to hear you notice on occasion that some members haven't received a welcome.

To clear up any confusion, every Sleepio member who has just completed Session 1 gets sent to at least one Greeter in the twice-weekly email. If the number of these members is higher, then it's possible for each member to only be distributed to one Greeter that week.

And, as I'm sure you know, Greeters aren't obliged to send a message to every person in the email so it is possible that some people won't receive a greeting message.

Although it is a shame if someone gets missed, we really value all the effort you already put into your welcoming messages and hope you will continue to do so. Please do let us know if we can help with any further questions or if you might have other suggestions for us.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Hi Helena, Perhaps the allocation could be changed, to ensure that every new member is greeted. Or perhaps, greeters could be asked to put on hold receiving names when they aren't available.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 23 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

I also wanted to voice support for counting comments made on profiles and being able to mark those comments helpful. I find the the discussion on profiles seems to be a lot more active than the treads. That said I would also like to see more previews of what people are writing on profiles. I generally have 4-5 scrolling across the screen on the community page but I know that there are a lot more comments being made than that.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I think the forum structure is really strange. I really like the program, but the community structure throws me off. It's unlike any other online forum I've ever used.

Is there a Sleepio IRC channel? That would be sweet.

• Sleepio Member

• 305 comments
    • 19 helped
    Administrator

Hi alureon, thanks very much for your comment – we're actually in the process of collecting some feedback about the Community and how members are finding it. I'll send you an email with some further information in a moment – it would be great to get your help with this!

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 89 helped
    Graduate

Helena, I'd love to provide feedback too about the forum. If you could include me I'd be happy to be involved.

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 248 helped
    Graduate

Hi alureon,
    The difficulty with the community forum is there are just so many different discussion topics – which I guess reflects the huge variety of experiences that bring us all here in the first place. There are two columns on the Community page; the one on the left is the whole directory of topics, clustered together into common themes. That's where you would go to look for information about a particular thing you want information about. It includes both members' posts and articles from the experts.
    The column on the right is the current activity, what people are posting at present, and the latest posts take a topic to the top of that list; it's not in any other order of priority – just who's added a comment last.
    Hope that helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 305 comments
    • 19 helped
    Administrator

Hi CaterpillarD, thanks so much for offering to help – we'd absolutely love your input too! An email with more information should be winging its way over to you now.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi in know this is a really old thread and probably no one will read this but wouldn't it be great to have a ' live, real time chat room' so that when you are awake at silly o'clock and feeling lonely you could pop in to the chat room with a human that knows how your feeling. It's all very well posting on a board but it could be days before anyone reads it and it doesn't mean you will get a reply. Just a thought.

Return to top