Natural light / dawn simulator alarm clocks: are they worth a try?

A friend told me she uses a 'natural light' alarm clock, which she says makes waking up in winter months much easier. I've been looking for internet reviews but wondered what the Sleepio community's experience was, and whether the Sleepio experts had a view on these.

Looking forward to some feedback!

Posted 27 Aug 2013 at 2:10 PM
  • 9 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Would be great to hear if anyone from the Sleepio community who uses one of these alarms.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 4

I have started using a dawn simulator. My wife likes to sleep with the curtains open so she sees the sunrise. I, however, with my insomnia now need a dark room to sleep well (even the moon will wake me). Our compromise is to use the dawn simulator. That way if she does wake up and the room is dark, she knows it is still early and she doesn't feel claustrophobic. The simulator works great, it's a very pleasant way to wake up.

• Sleepio Member

• 246 comments
    • 93 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thanks for that info. Corredor. I have not heard of that before. Sounds interesting to look into.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hello everyone – I am new to Sleepio – this is my first night!
    I wanted to share my experience of the Philips Wake up Light, which I have been using for a few years now.
    I have struggled with sleep for decades – since a child – and am now going to change my lifestyle, with Sleepio, to put this finally to bed!
    However, I have to sing the praises of the wake up light. Once I finally get to sleep, the next hardest part is trying to wake up. I feel so tried that I cannot bear to wake up. Before this wake up light I would wake up with the 'hang over' feeling and would be in a negative mood all day.
    With the light, it gently switches on 30 minutes before the alarm – mimicking a sunrise! A gentle glow, gradually building up to a bright light. Next, the alarm would start a gentle tweet of birds, gradually building in volume until I wake up and turn it off.
    Tonight, for the first time, I am going to try the opposite and allow the light to gradually dim until it is off. This may help me gradually fall to sleep – although it may just keep me awake while I wait to see if it does go out on it's own accord!
    Anyway – I just wanted to share with you my experience of that device as it has had a major beneficial effect on my awakening process.
    Good luck all.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I also have the Phillips wake up light. I've been using it for about 3 years and love it. Unlike most sleepio users I have idiopathic hypersomnia with excessive daytime sleepiness…. Which just means I need significantly more sleep than most people (at least 10 hrs or I can't function) and even then I'm pretty sleepy throughout the day (even with meds). i have never experienced waking up because my brain says it has had enough sleep… So the dawn simulator is great for our dark winter mornings in Canada…. its a gentle wake up, and my brain has a subtle external cue to shift to a different brainwave pattern that makes waking up less jarring, and excruciating. ... And you're not waking up to a completely dark room. The alarm also starts gently, instead of blaring and startling you awake.

I also like the dusk stimulator and it's nice to have a bit of low level light to start a relaxation/meditation exercise, (I'm a big worrier in bed), and the light fades as I start falling asleep

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I don't have a wake up light, however I use a normal cheap lamp with a timer plug. I use an energy-saving lightbulb so that it comes on dim to start with. It's a cheaper alternative that works a treat to wake you up gently :)

• Sleepio Member

• 58 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Hi All. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of bright light therapy? I have seen a few SR regimes that claim better results if bright light therapy is used for half an hour on waking, esp if the main problem is initiating sleep, which is what I suffer from most. If so ,what should I look for in a bright light? It looks like you can get them from about £50 upward, which would be a small price to pay if it helped my sleep. Many thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I use my sunrise / sunset clock and think it's amazing. It is perfect for waking up in winter when the sun rises so late. When I'm having difficulty falling asleep, the sunset feature works like a charm. It's very difficult to fight the feeling of sleepiness as the light fades. You can configure the time it takes to get brighter or dimmer in 30 min increments…

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Absolutely love mine, got it from Aldi for £20! Has loads of functions that I haven't look at yet but it's great to wake up to light and birds singing. Wonderful.

Return to top