Migraine and Sleepio

Does anyone out there have a problem with migraines and how are you managing the sleepio routines? I have the worst headache right now and I'd love to crawl into bed! So I thought I'd start this thread, to keep myself up a bit longer! Poor sleep and migraines seem to go hand in hand. I'm just not sure how to follow SR and QHR when I'm in such pain.

Posted 1 Mar 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 82 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I hear you. How awful when this happens. We so look forward to our holidays and then wham, the big M strikes. I was ill with an almost continuous headache and a mirgraine the first 10 days of my holiday recently (luckily I had 20 more days so not a total loss) which made it hard to really enjoy being away. It's so hard to identify the triggers – too much sleep? being on holiday? Both are known triggers. I've experienced migraines so often after periods of stress or during a change in routine (holiday) or on weekends after working hard at work that I've lost count. I've learned from doing a lot of reading that it's often not a single trigger but the combination that puts us over the edge. So if sleeping too much is a trigger then we might just want to avoid doing that. I don't let myself sleep in any more since starting Sleepio (maybe a couple of times but that's all) but that is more to do with maintaining decent sleep than avoiding migraines as I don't know that's a trigger for me anyway – lack of sleep, yes. But I often get headaches/migraines on holiday. I don't think I can avoid that. Not go away, ever? I used to pop Zomig almost daily when away just to be able to enjoy even some of the time. I don't do that anymore, knowing that for me it's the beginning of a slippery slope to rebound migraine. So I do my best to carry on. It's only when I'm sidelined by one so bad that I put a stop on my activity. It's amazing what we can so in spite of the pain!
    I do hope for you that your migraine goes soon and that you can enjoy the rest of your time away.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thanks – Anniem – good to hear from you. I am better again and had a great sleep last night – so will stick with the Reduced SR regime from now on. I hope you are well!

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

Norway have just completed a small study on Candesartan (lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow). Its not in the UK's guidelines as a preventive for Migraine yet, but some Dr's are prescribing it with good results. No good for me as I have naturally low blood pressure-shame, as I know you've had good results. Home your M free.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi all, just heard an interesting piece on the radio about cluster migraines at the time of the equinox. This describes very well my experience over the last week, along with generally low mood. Ho hum… Sleeping better though! ;-)

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Interesting. Last week wasn't so great for me either! Glad you're doing better this week.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

What was the programme, Portyviv? I have migranes and have just had my first real cluster, which was horrible! I'd be interested to hear it if I could get hold of a copy.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

It was on BBC radio 4 inside health – available on the iplayer. Interestingly, there is also a piece about sleepio and an interview with its founder – a Scottish prof – but then we knew that, didn't we???

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

Really interesting about the equinox, I have had a real cluster of migraines as well. So pleased today, after waking up at 4am, doing QHR, staying downstairs till 5am, but couldn't get back to sleep, up at 7am to be at Brighton for 9am to cheer on my daughter running her 1st marathon. Very stressful day being at various check points looking after 3 grandkids, I did it and bonus, no (touch wood) migraine. I'm sure it's because I don't have the same level of anxiety pre-sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

hi I am in week 3 and finding it hard going as although i only get migraines rarely i do get night time headaches fairly regularly and recently have been getting bad headaches early morning. What seems to work is having camomile tea with a bit of honey plus paracetomol then going back to bed but I am now trying not to go back to bed and it's a killer! Today I felt slightly dizzy and sick and really gave up on the idea of being up, went back to bed till way past the allotted time. Any suggestions anyone?

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Hi wendydaniels,

I'm wondering if you've noticed an increase in your headaches since starting SR? If yes, it could just be that your body (and head) are adjusting to the new routine and there may be a number of days of this until it settles down. There can also be any number of reasons for night-time headaches so I wonder if you've tried to figure out if anything else could be contributing. A really good site to check out is migraine.com which has a wealth of information. Have you ever seen a neurologist about your headaches?

Do what you need to do for now to cope. Only you know just how bad it feels and whether or not you need to return to bed. If possible, can you lie down somewhere other than your regular bed? I have used many tools over the years: resting, ice paks, cefaly ( a kind of trigeinal nerve stimulator), pressure on the painful area – for the most part, I have remained active and am only side-lined when the pain is throbbing and intensity increasing by the minute – then I know I must get into bed pronto. Everyone is different in how they need to manage the pain. I never use over the counter pain meds anymore as they don't work for my migraines and only partially for my headaches and then lead to more headaches if I keep using them. I use my migraine meds only if necessary as I have to limit those.

Let us know how you get on. Hopefully some of the other members on this thread have other suggestions for you.

Take care,
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

hello, not sure if i have replied to this or not or replied in a different place – anyway just some thoughts…i haven't had actual migraine for a little while now, maybe 6 months or so, but i am wary of those early morning headaches that threaten to turn into one, usually if i can catch it at that early stage i can do something about it, so these early morning get ups for me are really tricky – lack of sleep plus the worry that my headache might turn into a migraine. Thinking about this and trying to decide what's best when i am feeling desperately tired and a bit emotional too is hard! I have had my headaches checked out by the GP and they are likely to be hormonal, used to get regular migraines on the first day of my period and now (I am 51) think they are most certainly menopausal. I am on holiday at the moment (Not away but on holiday from school where i work) and i usually have a bit of a sleep catch up and so it's really counter intuitive not to do that now. Not sure what sort of state i would be in though if i was having to go to work. How do people do this – as in manage the rest of their lives with sleep restriction? I get the theory, no pain no gain etc but in practice how long can people get by with such little sleep at this particular phase of the programme?

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Hi wendy,

I know it seems counter intuitive to not catch up on your sleep while on your break from work however it does make sense in the long run. You would be potentially undoing all your hard work so far. And that would make this whole process longer than it needs to be. However I can understand why you would want to. I know it's very tough to do this program when working and yet many have.

As far as the morning headaches go, as your sleep gradually improves, you will most likely have them less often. Try to keep that in mind. This is only temporary. I would suggest you stick to your SW as best you can, and manage the headaches also as best you can. I kind of think that in this process of improving one's sleep, headaches are likely one thing that's hard to avoid. Hopefully most will not evolve into migraines but you will manage any that do as best you can even if that means going to bed. I understand completely where your coming from in wanting to avoid a migraine. Two years ago I went cold turkey off all pain relievers, gravol and migraine meds in an effort to detox and start with a clean slate with a new prophylactic. It was hell! But all for a very good reason. I knew this was the only way. It paid off but took several months before I was ready to try a new med and then another few to know the new med was helping. You can do this and as hard as it is, you'll get through.

anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Struggling along with almost daily headaches since April 22. Had a few days without. Taken way too much Zomig, more than I am supposed to. Hoping that things will improve soon.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

Felling your pain anniem. I know you have so much going on at the moment apart from the wedding. Just go with the flow even if it means taking more meds just to get you through this stressful time. For a migraine sufferer, often the fear of getting one and being incapacitated for the big event can be a self fulfilling prophecy. Be kind to yourself, take time out for relaxation, do all the breathing exercises you have ever learnt, have some gentle walks and exercise and worry about reducing meds after the wedding. Feel the strength and support from all your fellow sleepio friends. I now we're virtual but the friendship is very real. Take care X

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Nancy.
    What worries me is I might be heading for MOH again which would be such a shame after having struggled to reduce my migraine meds down to only 5 a month. I've already taken 12! So with each headache, I'm checking my diary to figure out if it's “safe” to take another or is it too soon. Usually the latter. I've spent much of the past 5 weeks in pain as a result. And the meds are not a sure-fire fix hence there's no guarantee that just because I take them if I need to, that I'll be okay, today or on the big day. It's amazing to me the feeling that overcomes me as the headache worsens (I say headache because some evolve into a migraine and others don't, even though according to the diagnostic criteria, I have chronic migraine). The mood just plummets, it's an effort to talk to anyone, I'm irritable and short-tempered, everything becomes an effort, my eyes can barely focus and I'm squinting. I look like an old lady with a permanently furrowed brow. I can just see that even if I do get through the wedding okay, and I'm sure I'll manage – we have all been there, pusing ourselves through! afterwards, I'll need to endure more pain just to reduce the frequency of meds. You can't win!
    I shouldn't complain. There're a lot worse things in life than migraines. Now just seems to be particularly difficult for me. My younger daughter arrives tomorrow and as much as I love her and am looking forward to her being here, just having her here changes the game so to speak. Must focus on the positive!!
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

I really sympathise with every word written, they could have been my own words. The irony of having rebound headaches, when they tablets don't always work in the first place. Sending you many, many angels, to help you, not just endure but enjoy.X

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

I have no idea why my post, that clearly states that I do not suffer from migraines, has been placed here. I asked for a new discussion to be opened but the powers that be seem to be under the impression that all headaches are the same & “merged” my post with this discussion.
    I apologise to all migraine sufferers on behalf of the Admin Team who think all headaches are the same.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 89 helped
    Graduate

@onezerodark, just wanted to let you know that I see your post here. I agree it deserves its own discussion topic because I've heard people refer to these types of headaches here and they are very different than migraine.

• Sleepio Member

• 28 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am just starting week 5 and I have been quite pleased with the program. I am still very sleepy during the day, but I am sticking with the program as prescribed. I have to literally catch myself during the day since I can easily doze off. I usually fall asleep at bedtime, but I often awaken after 3 hours or so with a migraine. This is why I am doing program. Migraines can be quite mild or more serious. I don't like to take meds, (I was taking too many) hot showers and stretching sometimes help. But, all this, of course, affects my sleep efficiency. Any suggestions regarding working with migraines would be appreciated.

Return to top