Meditation and Relaxation Techniques

This is the place to explain the method of relaxation you use – from the Alexander technique to reiki and much much more.

Posted 6 Aug 2012 at 3:53 PM
  • 37 comments
  • 6 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your comment trilbye and hope all is well “Down Under”, for those interested in the Headspace site here' s the link

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

yes there is it is the Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique website stat.org.uk Teachers have to have a three year training course to become qualified.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

One site I have found is http://www.thrivingnow.com/gary-craig/

this is the site of the founder Gary Craig who promotes EFT emotional freedom technique,,is a group of simple processes which aim to to help people with their emotions, this is a popular technique.

the key process is to stimulate energy meridian points on your body by tapping on them with your fingertips, these points are foud on the face, the hands the head and the upper torso, the process is easily learned an can be practiced anywhere, I have seen an article on this before and will report anymore findings when I can
    Happy Relaxing everyone !

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

Here is the site for the tapping points for EFT worth a try …..what have you got to lose ten minutes or so, can someone let me know if it works and is suitable for you

thanks in advance …..Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Andy,
    Your links are escaping into the ether I'm afraid. Would you try again please?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

Yes Suella I would agree Reiki is a recognised relaxation technique and there is a lot written about it , as animals have not the intelligence to be placed in a placebo group
    I must agree with you

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

In other words, you can't con animals. I was introduced to homeopathy by a man who used it when a cow had mastitis. A tablet in the drinking water was sufficient.

And Dr. Bach's Rescue Remedy on the gums of an animal hit a glancing blow by a car was enough to seemingly eliminate the shock.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

I agree Andy, it works both ways. Relax the min/relax the body. My short flat on my back rests are deeper and more refreshing if I can do a breath meditation whilst resting. Sometimes I forget to focus on my breathing though. A habit still in the making.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

Glad you liked my response , I would think it strange if lets say a donkey would be able too recognize a real tablet having an effect or the placebo effect
    keep up them breathing exersizes with your flat rests

take care Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

Qigong ponounced chee gong is a 5,000 year old relaxation technique

try this

1. warm up your muscles by standing up shaking your arms, legs and soulders

2.now stand with your feet approximately shoulder width apart, arms relaxed by your side

3.next slowly go too halfway for a sitting position by bending your knees, observe your breaving for 2 breaths

4.now take a breath in and raise your arms shoulder height slowly in front of you palms down , exhale whilst your arms are straight out, inhale again and drop your arms down slowly until your thumbs touch the side of your legs, exhale one more time , then slowly stand up straight

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

I place I Googled to find out more about Qigong was wiki pedia

my thanks go to wikipedia
    Best Wishes Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

Has anyone practiced T'ai chi? if so could you share your experience here
    I have some info and links that I will share later

All the best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

As promised this is one of the sites I found by Google the site looks pretty good, however most sites are about T'ai chi as a martial art, here is one that is not

http://www.everyday-taichi.com/

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you. this sounds interesting. I will try it and see if it works for me. Bríd

• Sleepio Member

• 65 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Hi andymoir, I have been practising Tai Chi off and on over the years. I do the Taoist Tai chi method being taught in my area which is gentle non martial art style. If find this slow movement activity is like a meditation and exercise all in one. It is reasonably priced to take a beginner's class and if you are Senior, even a better discount. I believe it can be an adjunct to help with sleep if done on a regular basis. It is calming and you are getting the benefit of circulation, balance and fitness.

Here is the info – google, Taoist Tai Chi Society of Britain or for international areas www.taoist.org and follow the links. Thanks for bring this up Andymoir , as well as the Qigong exercise (I will try later). This is a reminder for me to do it more often. Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Ideas for falling back to sleep?
    I have tried listening to hypnosis for sleep on ipod
    EFT-tapping
    Deep breathing
    Progressive relaxation
    But my mind wonders back to concerns and To-List
    I eat healthy, exercise and do yoga for stress…
    Open to ANY new ideas you have!

• Sleepio Member

• 65 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Hi NNH, and anybody else interested in Meditation and Relaxation Techniques. The same posted information is also listed under “what to do when you wake up at night”

Here are a few additional ideas that I used which was helpful:

Sleep Pillow – a free app on iPad that offers several nature sounds that you can set a time to (10 minutes, 20 minutes) my favourite is the “lapping” lake sound.

Headspace Meditation – a 10 minute beginner daily meditation which is convenient and effective. This is found on-line/app with a free 10 day trial.

Dr. Andrew Weil, MD, a cd (or iTunes) of various breath exercises. The most effective is the 4-7-8 breath which I do on a regular basis. These breath exercises take a little practise but worth the effort.

Guided relaxation CD by Eli Bay, “Sleep”. Has two guided 23 minute segments, “Imagine a space” and “Sleep Nauturally”.

The CD, “Healing Sleep” by Brain Sync, Kelly Howell – this flowing music is designed to balance the brainwaves.

This may not appeal to everyone but works for me is – self massage around the head, temples, face, feet, arms, with aromatherapy oil “sleep” blend.

PS: others in the Community here have highly recommended “Tired but Wired” by Nerina Ramlakhan, and “Mindfulness: A Eight Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World” by Mark Williams. (Waiting to receive my order from a bookstore)

Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

Meditation and mindfulness are recognised as beneficial generally including for chronic conditions (e g Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis website.) I have made attempts lifelong to establish a practice without success, and keep trying – I'll soon have more favourable circumstances time-wise but it was when I was working intensively that I was most aware of needing a resource of inner calm and peace mentally. I'd be grateful for anyone's experience and maybe others would too. Many thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hey what´s up, I have to say that session one has already helped me a lot, I was never really conscious of the vicious cycle of not-sleeping, but now it´s painfully obvious!
    I have achieved immediate results using Mantra Yoga now that I know this though, and I think everyone could benefit from this. Just make a mantra like “I can always sleep well”(that´s mine) and recite it as often as possible while going about your day. Believe as much as possible. It should eventually be barely noticeable that you´re doing it, thus it seeps into your subconscious and breaks the cycle. See if it works for you too; can´t hurt right?

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I would like to second the mindfulness recommendations. Mindfulness has many many benefits in my experience, just in relation to sleep when I do it regularly(daily) even for a short while it definitely improves my sleep.

I'd like to aadd concentration meditation, where you spend say 15 minutes focussing attention on the breath. In reality your mind goes all over the place but keep gently and kindly bringing it back and you'll begin to experience a really relaxing refreshed state of mind.

One thing on meditation though is to be wary of overdoing it as it can sometimes bring up emotional stuff which you'd forgotten which can disrupt you. That said, you can take those memories and apply mindfulness to them once you're able to and find their charge will dissolve leaving you better off.

Movementwise I haven't seen Feldenkrais mentioned yet. It's a really gentle movement philosophy where you go through a series of movements with the goal of learning to do them better. That means no pushing through the burn or stretch, just letting go and learning. Also very relaxing and helpful to do.

Overall I find when I do these activities before bed or any time of day and my mind feels ready to jump into relax mode when it's time. When I started this program I was stressed out, taking exams and didn't think I had time to do them. Now that I'm practicing again it's made such a huge difference,

Return to top