Live Discussion with Professor Espie - 11th October

Prof Espie will be hosting a live online discussion here on Tuesday 11th October at 9pm

Please feel free to post questions or comments below ahead of the discussion. To take part, simply click the blue 'Comment' link below this message and then enter your thoughts.

Posted 8 Oct 2011 at 1:06 PM
  • 149 comments
  • 13 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Who???

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Thanks I will try extending the window a bit

• Sleepio Member

• 840 comments
    • 172 helped
    Graduate

The Waltons…you must be too young val…..

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

jim bob, ?? Wasn't he on the Waltons… You are obviously far too young to remember!

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Definitely not too young too remember. So old it was taking a while to come back!!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

hahaah! night owl, i mean night all!X

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Are you okay Vero?

• Sleepio Member

• 416 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Thank you to everyone who joined in last night! – It was great to see so many people getting involved and I hope it proved to be really helpful.

We would love to get some feedback from you all on the live session – both positives & negatives very much welcome. We want to make these sessions as good as they can be but to do this we need to know what you would like changed – So…

Anything missing? Anything you would like us to add next time?

Please add any comments / suggestions you have below – Thank you in advance!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Yes thanks Rosie, I enjoyed last night's conversation and found the Prof's advice re my problem useful. One technical question though – should I have been able to read and comment on the sleepio website? For some reason the comments were not coming up there but I got them as emails, which was ok but I had to reply on the website so needed to keep flipping back and forth. Maybe I was doing something wrong (I have not participated before)?

• Sleepio Member

• 416 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Hi Marian – thank you for getting back to us & I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

The technical question – Do you know if you 'refreshed' the page during the live session?

Sorry if this is too basic, but: 'refreshing' means re-loading the page you are on so that it is updated with anything new. On a PC you can 'refresh' a page either by hitting the 'F5' button in the top row of your keyboard or by hitting 'Ctrl' and 'R'. On a Mac, you can 'refresh' by hitting 'Command' and 'R'.

If someone posts onto a conversation whilst you are looking at it, the new post will only show up once you have refreshed the page or if you leave and then visit the page at another time. This unfortunately means that you have to 'refresh' the live session pages regularly whilst they are ongoing.

I hope this solves the problem but if not, please do let me know and I'll take another look.

• Sleepio Member

• 840 comments
    • 172 helped
    Graduate

Pretty much hit the right note I think. Got a bit frantic when I refreshed the page and another six posts popped up all at once. I was worried that I would end up over stimulated and therefore have (more) problems sleeping but was fine, in fact a better night than previous. It reaffirmed that I am pretty much doing what I should be.

• Sleepio Member

• 416 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Great – Thank you Pauline – I'll pass on your thoughts about the posts and the page refreshing process.

Glad to hear that you didn't find yourself over-stimulated – I remember that being a problem for some people after the last live session.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Rosie, I didn't know about refreshing – I will try it next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Hi Rosie I think the session was really good. Like Pauline it got a bit frantic when you refreshed and got all the posts and of course by the time you posted your own the conversation had moved on.
    Great to hear that we are all really doing things okay and that we can tailor it a bit to suit ourselves albeit all aspects of the course can contribute to better sleeping.

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Hi Rosie, I enjoyed last night thank you. As the owner of a new macbook I had no idea how to refresh. Karina suggested pressing the apple key, but i didn't know which one that was, but now realise it is the control key! I refreshed by clicking on another tab and going back! Given that a lot of the 'users' seem to be older rather than younger, guidelines would be good, but i'm sure you've already thought of that!! It was fun to have a live chat with the prof and everyone. As far as answers to questions, personally I would have preferred to leave one question for the prof and to have that answered in his time. It was all a bit frantic for me, then the non refreshing didn't help!! If I was designing this course, I would have one live session, and one 'leave a question for the Prof'. Best of both worlds! Just a thought, and really appreciate all the care and attention we have. :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 840 comments
    • 172 helped
    Graduate

Oh, hadnt thought of that…yes, maybe one of each at some point would be good, specially for those who could not be present for the live one…...

• Sleepio Member

• 840 comments
    • 172 helped
    Graduate

Yes, I found it particularly over stimulating last time, to the point of terrible sleep and for that reason I hadnt intended to join this one…however, I am nosy and just popped in to have a little peep….....the rest is history!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 416 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Hi ripvanwinkle – That's a very good point! – Thank you – we'll take care to include the 'refreshing' instructions in the details at the top of the conversation. Any other instructions or details you think we should include next time? – technical or otherwise.

I like your idea of leaving a question for the Prof! – Don't forget though, if you think your question will apply to other users as well you can always 'suggest it as a conversation' using the link at the bottom of the Community page and we'll work on creating a new expert post on the subject if one doesn't exist already.

• Sleepio Member

• 416 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Haha! Well I'm glad curiosity got the better of you this time!

Your point about questions from people who couldn't take part during the live session is a good one – we hoped that they might have been able to leave their questions before and then read back over the conversation at another time but I definitely see your point.

• Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hi Rosie,
    Yes, the conversation was very helpful. It is a great opportunity for us to “meet” with the Prof. and ask questions. Unfortunately, I had a late meeting so joined late and by the time I had read all the posts to see what had been discussed, time was almost over! I didn't know how to refresh either, so took too long to read all the posts. Also, many of us had posted questions before the session, but they were not addressed in the discussion, so yes a reply to individual questions, perhaps once a month, would be wonderful. Thanks.

Return to top