Live discussion with Professor Espie - 3rd September

World sleep expert and Sleepio's co-founder Professor Colin Espie will be hosting this week's live expert discussion here on Wednesday 3rd September, 7pm-8pm (BST).

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 31 Aug 2014 at 5:34 PM
  • 66 comments
  • 48 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 16 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Yes I am a morning person

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

Susanlawrie, welcome to Sleepio!
    My guess would be that you have a strong emotional reaction there to waking up again so quickly – annoyance, disappointment, worry?
    The Sleepio programme will help you look at your 'self-talk' and the emotions that go with it. Does this help?

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

I've now read FredHK's question. I have similar but I do not dwell on whether I'll sleep or not. My efficiency is 9O%, but as I asked myself would like more energy in the day. Will practice what has been suggested. I typed a Post but lost it somewhere in the ether about this, so this is a different one. Will try and improve energy levels by doing more activities, come hail or shine! And discipline myself more, or try to.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

Interesting. If at some level genes play a part in everything – which they probably do – our behaviour/ experience plays a part in the expression of underlying characteristics. CBT doesn't change us but it modifies our approach to living and to dealing with experience. In that sense it 'treats' and protects us.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

How did I know that?
    So Sleepysal, you are waking up … cos you do – like a lark – waken early. ... regardless.
    My advice would be to consider adjusting your window to allow yourself to have an earlier threshold tome cos you are probably not so bright and breezy in the mid to late evening!

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Dear Prof Espie and Susanlawrie,

I have had this happen to me often too. If I am woken up shortly after falling asleep (say 5-15 mins), it is like I have had an hr's nap! I am no longer tired and it takes me “forever” to fall back asleep. So annoying! Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but when it does I certainly pay for it.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

Hope some of tonight's comments are relevant to this won052.
    As a graduate, I'd say you can experiment a bit with the tools and techniques that you have now learnt. Try moving the SW around a bit to find where it best fits? If you get a better 'fit' there is more chance of increasing your total sleep time.

• Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 16 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the advice. though I have noticed that if I do go to bed earlier, I wake up even earlier. But I'll give it another go.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Good Night everyone, and thanks for help regarding
    energy levels increase…. sleep tight!

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

Hi Pei
    Yes underlying worry and self-monitoring even that you are barely ware of can knock your sleep off because you are reacting to it all too much. This has been a theme tonight. Try to ride the ups and downs as natural variations?
    ... and 5HTP is a natural amino acid … no evidence that it is a sleep aid specifically. On the other hand good sleep does enable protein synthesis and cell regeneration

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

try small amounts like 15 minutes earlier at first, consolidate and then try another 15 mins?

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

Goodnight all, and sleep well tonight!!
    I'll have a quick check through any other earlier comments I may have neglected!

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for all of your advice, Prof Espie! We all appreciate your time very much!!! :))

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

markgartner, the racing mind is an enemy of sleep initiation. It's called hyperarousal. It's not subconscious, but both physiological and cognitive – we can feel it in our bodies and we experience it mentally and emotionally.
    CBT is exactly the solution for this according to research evidence.
    hope this helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 16 helped
    Graduate

Thank you and Good Night!

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

Jas44 – they don't lose effectiveness in my experience. Trick is to internalise them so they are automatic and not deliberate. Takes a lot of practice and then letting go?

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

Hi macahdo3. hope tonights comments help.
    Secret is NOT to focus on those occasional poor nights, or to anticipate problems.
    Easier said than done I know, but nonetheless true!

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 39 helped
    Expert

colin99 – sounds like you have had a long-term problem, and yes sometimes you have to stick at CBT long-term to get maximum benefit.
    deep sleep may be only 5-15% of the night in a good sleeper

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, any advice on adjusting sleep pattern after long flights? Actually going to west coast usa then further west, so 10 hour time difference..

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Gosh yes! worry and anxiety mess up your good intentions and discipline…I just don't do that anymore…I let it all be and it seems to work for me except when I wear that crazy OSA mask! So..I don't wear it!
    5HTP? It has worked for me but only for a while, like most external aids. lolita.

Return to top