Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 9th November 2016

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 9th November from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 3 Nov 2016 at 6:39 PM
  • 11 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 5

is it ok to eat or drink water at night if you are awake?

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 5

what should you eat as a late night snack if you had dinner early, went to class 6-9, and are hungry again after?

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 5

are there certain foods that are better to eat for dinner or at night?

is it bad to sometimes not have protein at night? (b/c I don't have the time too cook and so may have just microwaved a potato and had a couple of miscellaneous things like fruits for dinner)

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 5

thank you!

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I am halfway through week 3 with the sleep deprivation. I am using a Fitbit, and it is showing that I am restless for more than 50% of the night, so my SE is not very good.
    Does anyone know how accurate a Fitbit is? I tried to read back in previous posts, but can't really find an answer to my question.
    It does reflect the fact that I do not feel rested and always feel very fatigued.
    But still I am wondering as we cycle through the 4 stages of sleep, whether the Fitbit will indicate that we are restless when we are just in a normal lighter stage of sleep.
    I guess, I do not know what my data should look like for a good night's sleep. I can imagine how i would feel though. Hoping I can get there.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Hello and welcome to the live Sleepio session. Here we will respond to any questions about the psychology of sleep and the Sleepio programme/its techniques. If anyone is watching this session live, feel free to post a question!

Let's begin…

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there,

We would recommend that, if people are up during the night, they do not eat or drink anything at all as this usually stimulates the body and makes it less easy to get back to sleep. If, late in the evening, people are hungry and there is still a bit of time before bedtime, something like a banana is good to have as it helps the body feel sleepy. However, be careful not to eat (or drink) too close to bedtime as this can, again, cause the body to be less ready for sleep or can cause middle-of-the-night wakenings due to needing to go to the toilet.

In terms of protein before sleep, I'm unsure about the research regarding this so can't comment on this, I'm afraid.

Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there,

Although I can't comment on the Fitbit itself as I do not have any experience with this device personally/professionally, I will say that often such external devices attached to us during sleep are not 100% accurate as we can be restless at points in our sleep and yet have a decent night's sleep.

What is much more relevant and a better gauge of the night one has had sleep-wise is how the person actually feels upon wakening and throughout the following day. The subjective experience of sleep (or lack of it) gives us a better indication of whether it's going well or not. External devices can be very useful and can supplement these subjective feelings to add detail, however as a psychologist, I would always be more interested in the latter in terms of a more accurate measure of sleep and the impact of treatment.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Very few questions today….anyone have anything they'd like to discuss?

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Just a few minutes left for the session if anyone has a question….?

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

That's the end of the session tonight. Hope everyone is getting on well with the course. See you again for another live session soon and sleep well.

Return to top