Live discussion with Dr Bryony Sheaves - 9th December 2015

Dr Sheaves will be stepping in to host Dr Creanor's live online discussion here on Wednesday 9th December 7:00pm-8:30pm GMT.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you’re welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr. Sheaves won’t be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key – On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 3 Dec 2015 at 3:35 PM
  • 35 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Viani,

Do you feel tired during the day?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi I really thought the SR was working as I slept midnight to 5am without waking but not consistently…- however I just couldnt function on the 5 hours without napping a lot more than 15 mins or going to bed earlier – so only 2 days ago I had to stop the SR as realised it wasn't working.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

HI Dr Sheaves

I feel very tired in the morning but not able to sleep ( I've tried even though I know I shouldn't!). I feel less tired in the evening. My body seems to resist sleep.
    What can I do?
    Vianr

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dear Doctor Sheaves

I started Sleepio 8/8 2015 and graduated 13/9/15.
    Certain aspects of the course have been great. I only use my bedroom for sleep now and I go to sleep quite quickly now. I do not have to use QHR very often as if I wake up in the night, I go back to sleep quite easily. However, I have been on SR for a very long time! My window is 12-6.
    My sleep quality is 6/10 -7/10 and my efficiency hovers around 73%. the highest I have achieved is 83%. My sleep average is 4 hours 50 minutes. If I get over 5 hours I am ecstatic. If it is under I do struggle.
    Any suggestions please?

Thank you

Lands

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi Lovebug,

Thanks for logging in live.

The jerking awake experience is something that others have described when they are aware of being almost asleep and then this awareness wakes them up. Is this similar to what you experience? Or do you experience the jerks in a particular area of your body?

With the other techniques (SR and QHR), it sounds like these have been helpful in the past, is that right?

The quarter of an hour rule can feel really frustrating getting up again and again, but is a very helpful strategy for reconnecting bed with sleep. The key with this one is to hold out until you are feeling sleepy-tired again, which can be a while, particularly if feeling frustrated at the process of getting up. Is there anything you could do to make the place that you go for the QHR more inviting? Leaving a nice blanket to wrap around for warmth, and some relaxing activities (mindfulness?).

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi Penta,

I'm sorry to hear that the SR was difficult, I know there are a lot of Sleepio users who can empathise. Some find it helpful to adjust SR so that it is more manageable, ie. if the sleep window isn't realistic, follow the principle but slightly less restricted. It is a really helpful technique for combating waking in the night, but obviously needs to work for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi Viani, what's your current sleep window? And is this manageable?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi,

Sleep window is 11 to 6am, but I am awake much of the time.

Vianr

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi Lands,

Really great to hear that your sleep has been improving! After sleep has become problematic, it can take a while to get it back to where you'd like it to be, so do celebrate the successes so far.

I wonder if you could tell me a little more about what your goal is. E.g. getting to sleep quicker, waking less, waking later? What is causing the sleep efficiency to be lower?

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

It is like my whole body jerks awake. It is quite sudden and alarming. it's like a severe startle. I am aware of getting very close to sleep and then the jerking. I don't feel like i am consciously waking myself up. It's weird. Just trying to figure out what it is because it makes my heart race and causes me to be wide awake.

Yes SR has been effective. At the beginning, after three nights of SR I had no more trouble falling asleep initially. From that point I just had the early wake up after 4-5 hours that I could not fall asleep for.

I Didn't really do QHR too much because the wake up was 1- 1.5 hrs before wake up time, so I usually just got up for the day. I have been at this for 8 weeks so i am just frustrated with this new trouble falling asleep. But I have been doing a lot of QHR now! As you said it takes a long time to get sleepy tired once I am frustrated. But I do get very sleepy-tired, but when I go back to bed I just have the jerking awake issue again.

• Sleepio Member

• 24 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your reply Dr Shreeves. Yes, my intention was to stick to my UK time window whilst on holiday. So i would be waking up at 2.30am local time (the equivalent of 6.30am UK time). Would you strongly advise against this idea, or would it not harm to try?
    Otherwise i will instead follow your suggestion of sticking to the window length but adjusting the start and end times to the local time.

I will check out the link on jetlag. Thanks very much.
    Alicia

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Vianr (sorry I seem to have mis-read your name in previous posts, apologies),

When one feels tired in the morning but not throughout the day or in the evening (when one is wanting to head to sleep) it can be helpful to consider the timing of the sleep window. For those who are 'evening' types, pushing the sleep window later may be beneficial to ensure that sleep is in sync with the body clock.

Sorry for lots of questions but I wonder if you would feel ok saring more detail about what your sleep is like at night (e.g. is it a difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep) and how you've found the Sleepio techniques you've tried?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi,

I get to sleep using a small amount of medication 2mg diazepam and 3mg Olanzapine, but often wake up after 2 hours and perhaps go back for another 2 hours. I often leave going to bed to 12am.
    Vianr

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your advice…. I will give it a go!

Also wondering …. Do you think it's possible to build a negative thoughts towards my current bedroom? It seems at though the awful thoughts and fear about sleeping start as soon as I enter my bedroom. Last night I slept in the spare room and had such good sleep! Any advice would be much appreciated :)

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi Lovebug,

It sounds likely that it is related to the pressure of falling asleep, and perhaps to the awareness of being almost asleep. However if you don't mind I'll just check out with the other experts to see if they have any other thoughts. I'll drop them an email and message you when I hear back if that's ok.

When techniques have been helpful it may be worth considering keeping them in place. We tend to recommend changing one thing at a time so that Sleepio users can see what things work well for them. So if you chose to add in the mindfulness and paradoxical intention it would make sense to do this before making changes to other techniques.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for replying.

My goals are to improve the quality of my sleep.

To be more in control and relaxed, which I am.

To improve my mood and concentration, which has improved.

It is the sleep effeciency that is the problem.

I use a Fitbit and my restlessness is usually between 8x -11x. Will SR eventually improve this aspect of my sleep?

Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi AliciaT – hopefully the jetlag article will help you think about how the sleep on holiday might work for you.

I wouldn't have strong advice either way, but do consider the impact of light as this is the most important input into the body click. If the sun hasn't gone down it may be more tricky to sleep without very good black out blinds.

The key is to have a good time as this will also help your sleep – have a wonderful holiday!

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi Vianr,

It sounds like you are waking up after your first sleep cycle of deeper sleep. I'm afraid we are running out of time tonight, but the things which you may want to think about are:

-what's happening when you wake up? Is you mind racing? Are you feeling anxious or frustrated? If so, run back through the library at the sessions to think through the strategies that might help with this.

-Is anything in particular waking you up? This may be external (noise, heating, light for example), or internal (snoring, bad dreams). There are some articles in the library that may be of interest here.

Sorry can't go into more detail now, but good luck so do check back in.

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi all,

I'm afraid we have run over a wee bit in tonight's session. I've answered the posts that came in before half 8 but I'm afraid we need to end there. There is another session next week so do look out for that and good luck with the rest of the course.

Best wishes

Bryony

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Lovebug – just to let you know I've posted on your profile some info re: the jerking sensations you've been experiencing.

Return to top