Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 8th October

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 8th October, 8.15pm-9.45pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 2 Oct 2014 at 3:24 PM
  • 29 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Bernard – looks like anniem gave you this advice already, but I would agree – if you send an email to hello@sleepio.com, the technical team will help you with that. Hope you manage to sort it out and all the best with the course.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi sotiredtoo, thanks for your question. I'm afraid medication isn't the area I am trained in so I can't answer this, but please contact your doctor to ask them as they may be able to help you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi FredK thanks for your question. From what you said in your post, I'm curious about the fact you sleep longer at weekends. I am wondering if you sleep longer than the suggested sleep window at weekends? If so, this may be where you are holding back on improving the sleep efficiency. In the programme, it's recommended that you sleep the same length of time (sleep window) during the week and weekends…even on vacation…so your body builds up a pattern of good, solid sleep. I wonder if this has something to do with it if you vary how long you sleep for depending on the day?

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

It's very quiet here tonight/today…anyone have any other questions?

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Vicki,
    Thanks for your response. Just as a note of clarification, I avoid caffeine as much as I can but sometimes it seems if I order a decaf in a restaurant, I'm given one with caffeine because I stay awake. I can't think of any other reason for my reaction. The cold medicine I took didn't have caffeine so perhaps I'm sensitive to the ingredients. Using thought tools doesn't help in these cases. My brain is simply “awake”. I'll start to monitor to see if there's a pattern to these wakeful nights in relation to my intake.
    Thanks, anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi anniem thanks for the clarification on that. Yes I would say the starting point is to monitor for any differences in these types of wakefulness. It could be that there is a difference in types of food/drink, changes in physical activity or something else. The best place to start is monitoring for a pattern then we can look at how to change what is affecting it. It's great you already see a difference between two types though as that will help the process.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. Since it's quiet here, I'm composing another question for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

excellent look forward to seeing it…

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Hi,
    Just wondering what does the sleep research indicate about just how good someone's sleep can become using CBT-I? I realize “how good” depends of the user's definition and also that many factors would influence this, such as how long one has had sleep issues for, etc. However, is it possible for CBT-I to result in good quality sleep that has only minor interruptions? Or does an insomniac have to settle for sleep that is just not as good as they would like and that person will always have to pay attention to their sleep behaviour?
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Good question. There is lots of reliable and credible evidence to suggest that it is very effective in getting people's sleep back on track. In fact, the reason why Sleepio base the programme on CBT is because it is deemed to be the gold standard in treatment of insomnia. You are right though, many factors make people's journeys to recover unique, so it's varied, as you would expect. I have worked with people in the clinic and on here in the community whose sleep has improved greatly so I find it to be highly effective. The effectiveness of the end result also relies on people sticking strictly to the techniques when they have blips, but I believe your sleep can recover with CBT – if you put the work in. CBT is very active as a treatment, meaning it takes work. But I reckon it's well worth it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Okay thanks for that answer. So, no one else here it seems?

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

I don't think so! Maybe it's wind down time…

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Okay I think so. Thanks for your help and have a good evening, at least what remains of it. I assume you're in the UK.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

if there's anything else you think of, let me know – you have my full attention!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

I wish there was! No all is good. I think my sleep is as good as it's going to get, unless of course I really knuckle down and shorten my SW again and include QHR. When you've been through the course once and shortened one's SW a few times already due to blips, the will just isn't there LOL, knowing how awful it can be. But I do know what to do to help my sleep become even better. I jsut wish it would magically be wonderful, like when I was a teen and could sleep until noon!
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

The thing is, you know what to do and that's great to have these techniques in place and under your belt…

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Yes you're absolutely right. A much better position to be in than 18 months ago!
    Okay that's it for me. So thanks again!
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Nice to talk to you tonight – thanks for keeping me company!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

You're welcome!

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Ok that's us for tonight – see you next time.

Return to top