Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 8th February 2017

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 8th February, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 2 Feb 2017 at 8:35 AM
  • 66 comments
  • 3 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there,
    This is one of the most common reasons why people stay awake. Often it's because there are no longer any distractions as all is quiet and there is no one to talk to. The programme will take people through a technique to challenge negative thoughts, whether this is at night time or during the day. There are also other methods such as relaxation and mindfulness that will help and the Prof will take you through these step by step…

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    There is a technique called the 'the the' or thought blocking technique which may be helpful here as a distraction from thinking about those sensations but I would also recommend the relaxation techniques within the programme – focus on the breathing while in bed and possibly make sure that the wind down routine is solid and consistent. It is likely underlying anxiety that's causing this sensation. Hope this helps…

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hello dr creanor . Thank you again.
    How would I recalculate my sleep window ?

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I thought the prof calculated that for me ? But clearly I am sleeping hardly at all .

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Sleep problems are fairly common in the menopausal period. What we sometimes find is that, even although the sleep problem started because of something like the menopause, it may be maintained by psychological factors, such as poor habits or worrying about sleep, which then makes sleep worse. So, despite not being able to stop the initial cause for poor sleep, the programme can help with the psychological factors that are preventing sleep getting back on track normally.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Let me check this out for you…I don't have access to parts of the programme that others see re calculations of sleep window etc. Would it be OK to get back to you?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your help. I too think it is anxiety, so will stick with your suggested techniques.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hello – have a look at the reply I posted above re menopause and psychological effects. Also very relevant to your question…

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Yes of course . I look forward to you letting me know .

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Anxiety is a very common underlying issue in sleep problems. Many people report fears of oversleeping, missing an appointment, being late for work etc. Over the next few weeks, the Prof will go through a variety of techniques which all combine to help people sleep through the night while reducing their anxiety about sleep. They all work together with these aims, rather than there being one main technique. It can be daunting at the start of the programme, but hopefully this is reassuring…

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Thank you – I will liaise with the team and be in touch…

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    This question is actually directly addressed when people come to the 'quarter hour rule' (QHR) in the programme. It explains why it's important to get out of bed after quarter of an hour of trying to get to sleep. I believe it will be mentioned in the next couple of weeks so look out for this one…

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have now graduated and there have been some positive results, my attitude towards sleep is better, i worry a little less about it and some nights i have minimal awakenings.
    However I struggle to stay awake in the evening resulting in me fighting the urge to go to sleep as it is too early and then when i go to bed i sometimes cant get to sleep which wasnt really a problem for me before, my problem was staying asleep and feeling like my sleep was very broken. I used to read a few pages of my book in bed and that was enough to relax me but obviously that is not recommended with sleepio. Any advice on how to stop this new problem? Thanks.
    Charlie09

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hello Dr. Creanor,
    I look forward to getting your advice in answering my question. Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    First of all it's good to hear about the general improvement to sleep. In terms of waking up once or twice a night, it's important to remember that this is very normal. Most good sleepers do wake up once or twice a night but they do not place any importance on it, therefore it's not a worry and they tend to just fall over quickly again. In terms of waking up in the first hour, I would advise people look at what the cause may be. Is there a consistent disruption to the environment at that time, is it a loo break, does it depend on what has been eaten/drunk that evening, does it change depending on stress/anxiety levels or mood? It could be that this is easily altered. The main thing is that it is not seen as worrying as most people experience brief wakenings as mentioned.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Sometimes the makeup of our sleep does change and so do the particular problems we face with sleep. For those struggling to stay awake in the evening, I would recommend thinking about what activities can be done to remain stimulated enough to be awake, such as talking to people, light walks, light housework. Getting fresh air is great for staying awake as it's often when we're warm and cosy that we get more tired. As for lying in bed initially, it's important to get the quarter hour rule back into place here as well as challenging any negative thoughts that may be causing the brain to stay awake.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Yes, I would recommend this actually. If people are ill or even travelling and know that they will not be able to stick to the programme as planned, it can be postponed. Those in this situation should contact hello@sleepio.com to let the team know. Get better soon!

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    It's often unclear as to what causes the body to wake up at certain times, for some it has been that they used to be in the habit of having to get up at a certain time and this has stuck. As for the food sensitivity issue and its link to dreams, I'm not aware of the research in this area, however repetitive dreams are often a sign of an underlying worry/anxiety or issue that feels unresolved. Racing thoughts are a sign of anxiety, too. Hypnosis is not my area of expertise but I do know that relaxation and challenging one's thoughts (using methods covered in this programme) can reduce anxiety-driven dreams and racing thoughts.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

That's the end of the session for now – I'm sorry I didn't manage to get to all the questions, but please re-post them at the next live session so we can answer them for you. Thanks for all the great posts…see you next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Even after an evening at theatre, I slept well . Sleepio has helped me realise my sleep pattern is better than that of many people and any time I wake in night is just to'check my surroundings' and am back to sleep before I've looked at clock. THANK YOU

Return to top