Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 8th August 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 8th August, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 2 Aug 2018 at 10:56 AM
  • 13 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, Is this where there is the discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I must be on wrong page for discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor? Can anyone advise?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Oh excuse me I even have the wrong day :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr Creanor,

Sleepio is helpful to me. Thanks for that.

I like now to leave the earplugs. It feels uncomfortable and there’s maybe a link with tinnitus.

Do you have experience with people quitting earplugs and try to become less sensitive to noise?

I’m quite noise sensitive. Even with earplugs, a dog barking next to my house normally wakes me up in the early morning.

I tried to sleep without earplugs and with a fan for two nights but it affected my sleep considerately.

Should I go on nevertheless in order to get used to it?

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr. Creanor,

What would you advise to combat an active mind even despite having read , repeating 'the' no longer works as my 'great' mind! decides to think about other issues while performing this excercise.

Once again I remained awake with an active mind last night for over an hour before I finally went back to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

What no forum this week?

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

Hi all I'm so sorry I didn't make the live session last night. Please post any posts here until next week's session and I will answer them throughout the week. Alternatively please post them to my session next Wednesday. Apologies again.

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

Hi there. Apologies again for the late reply. So there are a couple things you could do here. Some people can have white noise playing in the background at night which blocks out external noises that are more unpredictable, like dogs barking. The fan can be classed as white noise however it also comes with a physical environmental change which may have had a negative impact.

Alternatively, some people record the noises that wake them up and play them throughout the day so that their brains do not attend to them as much throughout the night.

A couple of options to think about…

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

Hi there- apologies again about last night. So this is a common problem for those who find it hard to fall asleep at the start of the night or during the night after wakenings. What I would suggest is to set aside 30 mins during the day (not close to bedtime) and note down the worries you have been having at night. You can then later go through them to problem solve potential solutions, however often the simple act of noting these down on paper is enough to lessen the intensity of the thoughts popping into our heads at night.

Another thing I would say is to remember to implement the quarter hour rule when this occurs so that you don't lie awake in bed too long without getting up.

Hope that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Creanor.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr. Creanor.

I would in the past ten years + tend to get out of bed and watch TV . However, the longer this insomnia has prevailed I have of recent times not been inclined get out bed at night.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Also with regards to noting down they would tend to be any number of things that particular night alone not the same thing every night. Things pop in to my mind and cannot seem to switch off!

• Sleepio Member

• 2640 comments
    • 430 helped
    Expert

What some people also find helpful here is to keep a notepad at their bedside and note down the random thoughts that spring into their heads there and then…this can help promote sleep as it feels as if they have been dealt with now they are on paper. Hope this helps…

Return to top