Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 7th November

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 7th November 7pm-8pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 1 Nov 2012 at 2:56 PM
  • 39 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi laureloakwood!

Congratulations on graduating from the course! I'm really pleased to hear it has helped you so much. Nice to meet you!

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Please could you talk about Hypnic Jerk. I joined up yesterday and Andy already diagnosed my problem!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi Coops, I think you probably haven't got to the session with the “Put the day to bed” theme yet?

This will most likely be really helpful to you if you incorporate it into your wind-down routine in the evenings. I know it has helped me & many others to set things aside until they can be dealt with tomorrow.

And as Dr Creanor says, having a notebook by the bed can really help if something jumps into your head & disturbs you – be sure to use a light-up pen so you don't need to turn the light on & wake yourself up more!!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Thanks for the tips – all useful and will take on board to slow my thoughts!

Also, do you have any tips on travel? I'm going away for work at the end of this month for a week to Asia so will have to cope with plane flight and time zone change. Is it best just to go with it and to use the techniques and to start afresh when home?

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Thanks for the tips – all useful and will take on board to slow my thoughts!

Also, do you have any tips on travel? I'm going away for work at the end of this month for a week to Asia so will have to cope with plane flight and time zone change. Is it best just to go with it and to use the techniques and to start afresh when home?

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi there, welcome to sleepio!!

Do you also suffer from “restless leg syndrome”? Or is it just the hypnic jerk?

My partner has had restless legs since childhood, although they only really seem to bother him now when he is stressed. It's more than jerking awake – he has a need to get up & walk around to alleviate the feeling in his legs.

Hypnic jerk is horrible! I get it sometimes if I doze off on the sofa (I know I shouldn't, but it's only occasional!). Also as Andy said if I'm really over-tired or stressed I will get it. You may find it eases as your sleep patterns improve on the course…

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Thanks so much. I'll look forward to that session.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Mary.

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you're struggling.

I would offer the same advice as I gave to coops. When people set aside time during the day to work through things in their mind, it often reduces the amount of info flying around our heads when we go to bed. I would also suggest having a notepad and pen at your bedside for any night wakenings, so you can note these down, as research has shown this technique can help to take these things out of our minds and help us sleep better.

Although it has been difficult, I would recommend not going on your computer whe you wake, as this stimulates you more and leaves you less sleepy. The sleepio course will cover this, however I would recommend you get out your bed when you've been awake for approx 15mins, then go out your bedroom and sit somewhere quietly, not doing anything, until you feel sleepy. This can be exhausting as you may have to get up several times, but it has been found to be a very effective technique. Try not to do anything at all when you sit up, not even drink, as you are trying to keep your body in a low arousal state, ready for sleep.

Good luck with your progress through sleepio, Mary.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hello,
    Yes, I only found out what I have been going through most nights in the last few years actually has a name (thank you, Andy) but it is really horrible and makes me put off bedtime every night because I know I will go to sleep and then wake up in terror. I don't have any restless leg syndrome though.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

There is a thread on this topic somewhere…

https://www.sleepio.com/community/discussion/can-you-think-youre-awake-when-actually-youre-asle/

Have a look at that for a bit of an explanation! I've had this myself, especially during the lightest parts of my sleep cycle, or when I'm stressed or worried about sleeping. It can be a bit disconcerting, but I think it's quite common.

BTW you don't need to check your clock if you wake in the night, just estimate when your 15mins have elapsed…I think about how awake I feel rather than how long it's been; if I feel I could fall asleep again I stay in bed, but if I'm really awake & alert I will get up & follow my wake-up routine…

hope this helps! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi deborahheath,

Thanks for your question about this. Yes I saw that andy recognised this as something he had heard about. It could possibly be hypnic jerk as andy said. Sometimes people experience this sort of thing when they are anxious, too. If it is hard to get back to sleep, I would offer same advice as I did to Mary there…remove yourself from the bedroom after lying awake for around 15mins (your guess of this time, not checked by a clock as this can lead to clock watching!!) and sit elsewhere in the house, very quietly. This strengthens the association between sleep and your bed, which improves sleep efficiency. You will cover this in the course, however.

I would also recommend a really good wind-down routine before bed to see if this helps. Many people find a bath near bedtime helps, with relaxing music, your favourite scented candles etc. if this is kept a regular routine it can really help reduce any anxiety before bed and can reduce sudden wakenings.

Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Thank you very much, however I have tried all that and none of it seems to help. I don't seem to be suffering from anxiety at all – my big problem, my only problem really is not being able to sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi Mary, welcome to sleepio!

When you get to the session on putting the day to bed you will get a format to fill in, which can really help to release some of the things whirling round your mind!!

Also the thought blocking techniques & “letting the train go through the station” (ie letting the thoughts come & go, but not fixating on them) can be very helpful too.

As Dr Creanor said; using your computer when you get up is a no-no!! THere was a bit of a discussion about changing the light setting on the monitor to give out more red & less blue light, so it's less stimulating to the brain, but I'm not sure whether anyone has tried it out successfully or not!

Hope this helps! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi there,

Yes in response to juliaH's post, I would recommend having a look at this thread. It can happen that you feel like you have been awake but you've actually been sleeping. This happens in good and poor sleepers. It an be related to stress, alcohol consumption, how often you wake at night or even just which stage of sleep you are in at that time. Research is ongoing in this field, so we hope to find out more about this interesting topic. It may help to make your sleep time occur as regularly as possible and to make sure this is at a time when you know you will sleep well.

Hope this helps, juliaH.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi coops,

Yes I would recommend adapting to the new time zone but keeping up all your good work even if it is at the new times. Then when you get back home you can just resort back to your home time zone. If you sync everything to your new time zone you should find it happens quickly…this includes food, light exposure and sleep.

Hope it goes well.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi deborahheath,

Sorry to hear they haven't worked. Perhaps others have some ideas if they have been in similar boat?

I am sure once you progress through sleepio, you will find some other helpful techniques that may have a positive impact on this issue.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Nice to talk to you all tonight…speak next time!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Creanor!
    Goodnight everyone. Sleep well! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 42 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Thanks – this is really helpful

• Sleepio Member

• 42 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks – tried it last night and whilst I did not get a lot of sleep I do feel a bit better xx

Return to top