Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 4th November 2015

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 4th November 8:15pm-9.45pm BST.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you’re welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor won’t be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key – On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 29 Oct 2015 at 6:54 PM
  • 12 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hello, I was curious about what success people have had using Sleepio to help with other diagnosed sleep disorders… I've seen sleep apnea, insomnia and delayed sleep phase mentioned. Any PWN or IH seen improvements after using the Sleepio program? Curious about what has worked well and what was a challenge, or any tips for making it through…

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I've been on SR for 2 months. Pretty consistently my pattern is that I fall asleep easily at midnight and then wake up about 3 hours later. I'm feeling a bit demoralized to not see improvements by now and to be sleeping so little.

One of my biggest challenges is that I just don't get sleepy enough again after my initial 2 – 3 hours of sleep, then often I start anticipating wake up time which may interfere. After a month, I extended my window a little to help with that, but not sure it's was a good idea (went from 12:45 – 5:45 to 12:00-6:00).

There are other things I wonder about that may be playing a role at times, but I'll keep the question simple for now.

What would you advise?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hello and welcome to the live Sleepio session. Here, I will answer questions about the psychology of sleep or the Sleepio programme. Look forward to talking to you…please get in touch with any questions you have…

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi please can you tell me how long you have to stay on SR? How soon can you increase the window, I am currently in wk4?

• Sleepio Member

• 24 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I'm new, I started week 1 last Friday. I've been taking night nurse and valerian drops out of desperation. It does help me sleep. I wanted to stop to be able to fill in the sleep diary properly but my husband is away on business trip this week and I have two little children to look after so I'm still taking valerian and NN. I'm worried that my sleep diary isn't going to be accurate. I'll stop this Friday but it will have been 1 week of sleep diary on NN and valerian. What shall I do?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi JuneF,
    Thanks for getting in touch today. In terms of how long one continues with SR (sleep restriction), it will vary greatly from person to person. The aim is to get back on track with a regular sleep pattern that is more continuous throughout the night (fewer night time wakenings). So it is recommended that SR is continued as long as is needed for this to happen. When sleep efficiency increases to around 90%, this is a sign that one can increase their sleep window by 15 minutes. Some people extend their sleep at the start of the night (go to bed 15 mins earlier) while some extend it into the morning side of their window. Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi there AliciaT,
    Many people who use the Sleepio programme are also on medication so it is OK to fill out the sleep diary with the information you have to hand – just continue to fill it out with the info it asks for whether you are on medication or not. And in general, it's worth mentioning to the group as a whole that it is always important to speak to whoever prescribes the medication or gives it to you over the counter if you are planning to reduce it. This often requires expert advice.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi NyxLorelei I'm wondering if this was meant to be posted in a community thread? That's where community users can ask other community users about their experiences. Just so you get the responses from the people you're looking for. You can find these in the community section of the site.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi doubleco,
    Many people become frustrated when they have been working hard on techniques for what seems like a long time and little is shifting. It's important to remember that unhelpful patterns of sleep behaviour have often built up over a long time, so it will take a while to reverse these as well while maintaining consistency across techniques. Sleep restriction can feel demoralising at times – it's a really tough technique – but it's worth sticking at given the positive results people usually see with it.

It's always worth checking back over techniques when things seem tough. Taking one week at a time in terms of the sessions can help make sure all appropriate techniques are being used. For example, when people do not feel sleepy after they wake in the middle of the night, it's worth making sure the quarter hour rule is being followed and that the thought challenging/blocking techniques are used to stop any intrusive thoughts about not being able to get back to sleep again.

In terms of extending one's sleep window, it's vital that this is only done once 90% efficiency is achieved (see the sessions again on this) so that it doesn't inadvertently reduce sleep efficiency.

Lots of things in this answer, I know, but hope some is of help to think about…

And if something else is at play, it's wise that people seek help for this, too, so it doesn't have too detrimental an effect on sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

It's very quiet on here – any other burning questions, fire away…

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

That's all for this session. Thanks for the posts and I'll speak to you again soon.
    Vicki

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Yes, I thought I had posted it there and had been looking for it in the general list. I will try again.

Return to top