Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 4th May 2016

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 4th May, from 8:15pm until 9.45pm BST.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 29 Apr 2016 at 2:41 PM
  • 33 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Vicki. I do in fact only read gentle stuff at night and the chores are limited to emptying the dishwasher and generally pottering around. If I were to read the same book during the day it would have me nodding off in five minutes. It is the same with TV….... a programme that would send me to sleep instantly during the evening has no effect during the night.It seems that after a couple of hours sleep I am really refreshed and ready for the day and I have wondered if rather than hoping for more sleep it would be better for me to get up for the day, even if it is 2.0 am! I have always been an early riser and have never slept as much as friends and family. But I know that I need more sleep than I am getting.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

This question sometimes divides us experts! There is a theory that states you should aim to get to sleep unaided and that the sleep programme will help you do this. However, good sleepers often read before bed as they are into that routine and it works for them. If you feel you get to sleep well using the meditation, I think it would be OK to use it during the programme. Anyone in a similar position, though, just be careful not to use it during the quarter hour rule and accidentally actually fall asleep outwith the bedroom.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

That is very very common to have anxiety before bedtime when you don't sleep well. The programme is designed to specifically address these thoughts too – look at the challenging thoughts part. and when you are in bed, the 'the the' technique is helpful too. I would be very careful to completely mimic bed on the sofa as you actually do not want to be 'knocked out' at all on the sofa – you want to achieve sleepiness but not sleep on the sofa. Any sleep should be had in bed to strengthen that connection as much as possible.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Usually people need more than a couple of hours' sleep a night but as we age, we do need less sleep than in our younger years. When people report feeling quite refreshed early in in the morning, it is sometimes because they are an extreme morning person. Sometimes with this type of person, shifting the sleep window earlier – going to bed earlier and having a much earlier wake time (while still sticking to the hours of the sleep window) can help. Worth a try?

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Thanks for your help. It was my first night on SR last night and a bit of anxiety kicked in. I was very sleepy but because I knew the 1/4 hr had passed (church bells…!) I eventually dragged myself out of bed. If you are genuinely sleepy when 15 mins us up – is it best to stay in bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Okay thanks again. Is that a grammatical, or is 'the the' some kind of technique to help you sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

If you feel you are on the brink of falling asleep, I don't think it would do any damage to stay in bed an extra minute or two as the reason for the QHR is that good sleepers take 15 mins on average to fall asleep – so sometimes they take 17! But if it's any longer and you are aware of being awake, you must get up to secure that strong bed-sleep connection. Aim for this rule – if you are alert and aware of being awake after 15 mins, get out of bed. Sounds as if you were literally about to fall asleep at the 15 min mark and the bells made this more obvious. We usually ask that people just aim for their guess of 15 mins so there's not an obvious 'alarm'.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

No not a typo! Repetition of the word 'the' can help block out thoughts that occur at bedtime – we use 'the' because it's a neutral word.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Okay thanks, so just repeating this word over and over can help block out unwanted thoughts. Thanks for all your help tonight.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I have a new understanding of quasimodo! The bells chime every 15 mins until midnight – so kind of perfect to measure QHR but could become a distraction to sleep. If it gets warm enough that we need the window open at night it's going to be interesting. I saw the advice about desensitising to sounds – wonder if it would work with the bells? (It's first summer in this house.)

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Yes it's called thought blocking – it's perhaps further on in the programme than where you are at just now.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello again! Yes I have always been an extreme morning person( even as a young child) and have always found evenings tricky. For me, party time should be 5.0am. The difficulty with this type of body clock is that one feels permanently out of step with the rest of the world. I would love to change my body clock so that evenings could be a pleasure instead of something to be got through. My idea of a nightmare is a social event that goes on into the small hours.
    Anyway I'll certainly try bringing my sleep window forward as you suggest. Thanks for your advice

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Yes you can gradually desensitise yourself to such sounds that are not able to be removed. Earplugs can also help, or some people play white noise (you can find this online) in their bedrooms to block out sudden noises that may disrupt sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Thanks for your help. :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

you're welcome

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

It is sometimes possible to train yourself to get into step with the 'rest of the world' by starting with the sleep window at the time that works for your body clock, then gradually shifting it later, even by 15 mins at a time, once you have achieved around 90% efficiency at each stage.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks…. I'll give that a go when the time is right. An average of 90% seems an impossible dream at the moment!

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

one night at a time…

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Good night Dr Vicki and thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

That's all for now – thanks for the great posts. Speak to you again soon.

Return to top