Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 4th February

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 4th February, 8.15pm-9.45pm GMT.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 12:49 PM
  • 51 comments
  • 13 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Goz,
    Sleep can be tricky when we travel into new time zones! The advice tends to be that you should try to adapt to the new time zones as quickly as possible and eat and sleep within the time zone in which you are situated. Try to avoid naps and implement the techniques as you would at home. The same goes for when you come back – try to adapt as quickly as you can – you can use caffeine to keep you awake and all the relaxation/wind down techniques you would use normally to get into the sleepiness zone. Does that make sense?

• Sleepio Member

• 25 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

The anxiety does sound more like it, but it's more like feeling tense which is weird but I have no idea why. It's like now. Now it's started to get closer to wind down I'm starting to get tense.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ursula,
    It sounds like we are having similar problems dealing with SR. Thank you for posting. I had been trying to come up with the right words but hadn't been able to concentrate well enough to get it down into a understandable sentence. I hate that your are going thru this but I have to admit it is nice to know that I'm not alone. I have become afraid to drive because my eyes have been bothering me so bad. Hang in there!
    Thanks
    Sherri

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi bneedham,
    Thanks for your questions. I think there has to be a degree of flexibility in some things and often certain behaviours are trial and error. If you feel that having supper 3 hours before bed is too close to bed, you can shift it to 4 hours before bed. As for the music, if it helps you to fall asleep within 15 minutes, then it works for you and this is fine – it's a pretty passive activity..often people ask me if they can still read in bed – if it works for them, this is OK too, as long as the quarter hour rule is followed if sleep does not occur within 15 minutes of getting into bed. Hope that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

It sounds as if you are linking bedtime to worry time and a time that you feel stressed/worried/unrelaxed. THis is really common and it's why we put together the wind down routine, the quarter hour rule and cognitive techniques to target all this worry in various different ways. You may not have covered the cognitive techniques yet, but it' worth having a think about what is going through your mind when you start your wind down routine and this may help you identify the thoughts that are driving your tension and then you can challenge them when you get to this part in SLeepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dr. Creanor,
    Am I understanding correctly that a person doesn't start increasing their time on SR weekly until they reach a 90% SE?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Akron,
    Welcome to Sleepio – glad you're already finding it helpful as a resource. It might be worth looking in detail at all the things that are different at the weekend that may be acting as a trigger for anxiety. Is alcohol used more at the weekend, for example? Alcohol can help us get to sleep quicker, however it leads to overall less restorative sleep and some people find they wake up more often throughout the night after having had alcohol. Diet and lifestyle are good places to start to compare the weekend and weeknights.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Yes Tired Mummy that's correct – although I believe the Prof tells you when this can happen?

• Sleepio Member

• 25 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

I think your right. I gave covered the CBT part but I have a feeling what I thought was the source of my anxiety is not the real source but only part of the symptom. This is all good, means I'm closer to getting better control over this. And happily enough my tension levels have just drop a huge amount while writing this :-D Oh I am in a good mood. Thank you Dr Creanor.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sherri
    Its terrible isnt it. My eyes hurt so much at the moment I know its lack of sleep and my new job which involves lots of research. My boys go to school quite a way from where we live and hubbie working away most weeks at the moment. I have to admit my only choice some times is taxi. Not ideal as its so costly but I dont want to risk driving.
    Have you tried to put a wet cloth in the freezer and when they play up taking it out and putting it on your eyes? It really helps me at times. Also I bought a wheat pack, you put in into microwave and heat it up take 10 minutes out and lay with it on your eyes.
    Good luck – its soul destroying at times to feel so tired. I had a bad night and am holding out till 11.45 then bed. Keep your chin up
    Urs

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

That's great to hear! Very pleased you're now in a better place!

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

No I haven't tried that. But I am definitely going to. Thanks for the tip! It is difficult but hopefully it will be worth it in the end. I'm looking forward to 1:15. Never thought I would be this excited to get to lay down! Lol

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I know! 11.45 cant come quick enough tonight for me. I go at 11-45 and get up at 5.45. Good luck with staying up I used an ice pack on my feet to stay up the other night just putting your foot on it woke me! Always here if you need a chat :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Great talking to you all tonight/today (depending on which time zone you are in) – great questions. Also nice to see great support amongst community members. Speak to you all soon,
    Vicki.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am glad to see that the time of the chat has changed to allow me to participate in these “chats”. I am in the EST time zone. Thanks for this adjustment on your part.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I never thought of using a ice pack that's a great is idea! They have me on 1:15 to 6:45. Hope you have the best nights sleep you have ever had. I'll be here anytime you need to chat.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I never thought of using a ice pack that's a great is idea! They have me on 1:15 to 6:45. Hope you have the best nights sleep you have ever had. I'll be here anytime you need to chat.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Have a great evening Dr. Creanor. Thanks for all your support.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr. Creanor for your advice and support pleased I could join for my first live chat!

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Creanor ; Thanks for clarifying about the imagery question. That helped. lew

Return to top