Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 4th April 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 4th April, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 29 Mar 2018 at 1:21 PM
  • 41 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Here's the link to the guide I mentioned…

https://www.sleepio.com/articles/parent-sleep/

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi there – thanks for getting in touch. Just wondering if you're referring to question in the sleep diary or elsewhere?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi – it may be that the expert was referring to delayed sleep phase disorder? This is when a person's body clock is naturally 'set' to feel sleepy at later times than is most common. There is an article on it in the library called “What is delayed sleep phase disorder (DSPD)?” if you are interested. There are strategies that can work, namely gradual shifting of the sleep window to help the body get used to new timings, if this is something a person wises to achieve, however some people are happy in this sleep pattern as long as it fits with their work/social life.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Yes. Have tried a later bedtime. It only helps sometimes, nothing consistent.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi – this is quite common to have trouble sleeping either before or during a period. There are many factors – hormones, temperature, discomfort, pain. Some women find it helpful to seek help from their GP/family doctor/pharmacist to aid the pain/discomfort. Having a hot bath before bed to help the body heat up then cool down can help settle temperature and make the body feel sleepier. During periods, it is often the case that the body remains too warm to feel sleepy, so this can help.

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi – I have been with sleepio for some time now and my sleep has improved but early awakening continues to be a problem. Around 5, 5.15 a.m. And I feel that I need at least one more hour. There has been time when I have gone to bed and allow myself to sleep through the alarm and I just go on. That's how I know I could do with more. Any thoughts about how I can handle the situation? I sometimes feel that maybe it is a question of accepting that my body wakes up after 6 hours or so and there is nothing I can do about that, and just resign to go back to sleep and extend the wake up time to seven o clock, instead of six.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

I'm aware that you are in the first stage of Sleepio, so it may be that there are other factors at play in terms of unhelpful patterns (napping, bedtime routine etc) that may be causing the body to be too awake at bedtime, so it may be that once you start these, you will identify the cause. It might be helpful to take a diary on the nights that you do feel sleepier to see what's different about the daytime and evening activity. This often helps people to spot a pattern.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi – can I ask…when you wake up at that time in the morning, do you easily fall back to sleep again? It's just you mentioned sometimes going back to sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Hi thanks for getting in touch. It is my understanding that thyroid problems can have an impact on sleep, but this is best answered by a medical professional in terms of the impact it may be having on you personally. This is not my area of expertise I'm afraid, however it may be worth discussing the techniques used in Sleepio with this medical professional to get their opinion.

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Well, I go to the living room and listen to a podcast and begin to fall sleepy. Sometimes `I do go back to sleep sometimes `i don't

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Well, I go to the living room and listen to a podcast and begin to fall sleepy. Sometimes `I do go back to sleep sometimes `i don't

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I mean, I go back to bed and fall back to sleep after a time. Sometimes I don't

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

More often than not, I cannot go back to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

Thank you for getting in touch. I can imagine how frustrated you must be with this happening. It is good to hear you have had a year of good sleep and this is usually a very good sign that you can get things back on track as you've done it before. We all (good sleepers included) have some random bad nights here and there sleep-wise. It can be caused by an underlying concern/stress that is ongoing in that person's life, or it can be as simple as being caused by a mild cold or a noisy neighbour. What's important is to understand that it's OK, it's only a lapse – a brief issue – that does not mean a full relapse to square one again. It sounds like you know all the techniques and strategies and that they have worked before, so it's a case of working on any negative thoughts about it being worse than it is – once these thoughts are banished, this 'blip' can be treated as just that. Relaxation and a good bedtime routine will also help.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

OK – thanks. So sometimes when people feel they wake early consistently but still feel sleepy, they can try to shift their sleep window to an earlier time, so that they go to bed earlier but still get a longer sleep even if they wake at the early time – is that something you might want to try?

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I will give that a go, but should i put the time back 15 minutes at a time or what?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

You can shift it more than that but then I would recommend sticking to the new time for at least a week or so to see how you go with it…

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 383 helped
    Expert

That's all for this live session – thanks for the questions and speak to you again soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks

Return to top