Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 3rd April

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 3rd April 7pm-8pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 28 Mar 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 38 comments
  • 7 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

no I missed that what was it called? Also do you know of any research that might prove the point for the disbelieving parents. I can convince people about the improvement in my sleep but not persuade them to be tough on the kids!

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Dr. Creanor – that's the kicker – I have no obvious stress factors in my life or concrete reasons for having anxiety. I never had that problem before and it came out of nowhere. Very strange. I do recognize it now though, and am taking measures to correct my thinking – I will not stop breathing, etc. The doctor has referred me to a sleep clinic to make sure sleep apnea is not involved.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

I just found this link:

http://bedtimelive.channel4.com/profiles/professor-tanya-byron/
    looks interesting.

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Good evening Vicki and everyone. I am struggling to really make full use of the relaxation recordings provided by Sleepio and a mindfulness bodyscan I have. They are very good for sending me to sleep when it is bedtime, but this means I never actually hear them and do the relaxation properly. If I try to do them at other times, I start falling asleep, when I am actually needing to stay awake, but I'd like to feel the benefit of using these kinds of relaxations. I meditate first thing in the morning and usually don't get sleepy, so maybe that's a clue. Any thoughts?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Goldie – It's called Bedtime Live and is on C4 every Tues from 8-9pm. I'm sure there is lots of research but none that is coming into my mind at the moment. I am a clinical child psychologist and I would say that most of my work is helping parents to change their behaviour to help their kids' behaviour, so I strongly believe that it's often the parents who need to change. Kids need boundaries and the only people who can consistenly provide these are the adults who feature most in their lives…this is usually their parents. I will have a look for some research and let the team know and see if they can provide a link…

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Renne – thats good to hear you've been referred to check that out. SOmetimes it can be simply that we become anxious about not sleeping well and this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and continues the cycle. I'm glad to hear you're getting some support. It's really common, though, so please know that many of your fellow Sleepio friends will likley have expereinced similar things.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

OK, thanks Vicki I'll try that. What's made it worse was jet lag from travelling to the US on business a couple of weeks ago. So I've just graduated and am sleeping worse than when I started! Philip

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Polly Sleep – good question! It sounds as if, in one way, you are I wonder if you could listen to them when you are walking somewhere, on an Ipod or something, if you want to hear the full thing once through?

WHat I Would suggest, however, is that you only do this once or twice, the nuse it when you need to relax for bedtime. Otherwise, your mind will start associating feeling awake and stimulated while the tape is playing, which will have the opposite effect from what is trying to be achieved.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

You can do the imagery one sitting up with no back support so you fall over if you nod off. Just listen to the tension release one a few times without doing it then try doing it in bed but with you taking yourself through it. I found this works for me and I also do it sometimes sitting down. I have to do a lying down rest for my back and neck and so I set a pinger to go off in case I doze off.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Philipp – jet lag can be a killer for good sleep! However, the effects are ususally only short term so try and get back to the routine as quickly as possible and things should even out soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

anyone got any more burning questions? It's all gone very quiet again….

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

What do you think is the most widely used part of the Sleepio Programme that makes the biggest difference to the students?

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Ok, I have another question – I know you should not use the computer at least an hour before bed…do you know if prolonged daytime use has any effect on insomnia?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Oh Goldie that's a very intersting question! I don't know tha answer but would like to know myself!! IN fact, there is some research in for publication at the moment that is assessing the benefits of the use of social media for people using this programme, so I look forward to reading it and finding out this answer!

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

How about getting up straight away when I wake up early rather than waiting 15 mins?

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

for me the two biggest wins were the sleep restriction and the relaxation during the day. However I know that if I don't use the whole kit and keboodle then I slide away from sleep again. Coming on line has slipped enormously hence I made the effort tonight. Sometimes I do silly things like eat curry too late in the evening but then I know I am doing it. The tipping point came when I stopped stressing about not sleeping and now if I get too self conscious about getting to sleep I know it is time to tighten up my programme again.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

THanks Renee – another good question. I imagine it would depend on a nuber of things, like whether it is work that you are doing on the computer and whether this work is causing you to become stressed at bedtime…or it could be even something physical, like bad posture at a computer for prolonged periods that may cause you to have poorer sleep. I suppose there are many ways in which prolonged computer-use could potentially cause poorer sleep, but these will vary wildly based on all the other factors.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

I'll say goodnight everyone and I really do mean a GOOD night. Where ever you are on the programme may tonight be a good one and do keep going it is really worth it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

THanks for sharing that, Goldie. I think a lot of people would say that a big benefit – and a widely used component – is the online support you get from other Sleepio partipiants. It seems like there is a great community here to provide that support and keep people motivated, not to mention sharing great tips!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Thanks for all your questions tonight and for your company….sleep well everyone…goodnight!

Return to top