Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 31st July 2019

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 31st July, from 8.15pm to 9.45pm British Time or 3.15pm to 4.45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 4:39 PM
  • 51 comments
  • 17 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

It's a particularly disruptive time for women. I suppose we can take some comfort in the knowledge that it's a phase – and it will end at some point! In the meantime, there may be some tips that others going through similar might be able to share in this community. Might be worth asking for some practical tips during this phase…

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi – interestingly enough, I have met quite few people who say it is their feet in particular that they can't keep cool at night time and this leads to trouble falling asleep. The ice packs is a good idea. I've also heard of people filling a hot water bottle with iced water and putting it in the bed for a while before bedtime. Other options are using a cold cloth on the feet as this can retain the cool sensation. I also heard recently about putting socks in the freezer! Might be worth a try?

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Well I'm 5 years post menopause and the hot flushes don't seem to be subsiding. They come in waves though, some days are better than others. I never was a good sleeper and this has just made things worse.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there, it is my understanding that access to the tools/diary will be available if the subscription is extended. You can do this by emailing the team at hello@sleepio.com and requesting this. We have many 'graduates' who join our discussions often so this is also something that can be accessed after the course (again if subscription is extended).

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Perfect, thanks SO much Dr Creanor!

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

One good thing about the later bedtimes is that I'm very slowly getting a lot done! I used to go to bed at half 8! Now I have an extra 3 hours! I'm doing slow, dull things like filing!

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Oh I'm sorry to hear that, that's a long time.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

You're welcome :)

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

I'm glad to hear this positive attitude!!

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there – i don't see any reason why this would be a problem at all…the main thing is just to maintain a consistent routine every night, no matter what order in which it occurs.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

I'm sorry to hear this is so difficult and stressful just now. Nightmares are very distressing and can feel so real that it takes a long time to reduce the physical and cognitive arousal they cause within us. Hence the difficulty falling back to sleep. The fact they are recurring, however, suggests to me that there is an unresolved stressor in waking life and it may be wise to seek some support for this. I believe this is the best way to reduce nightmares, rather than simply seeking to relax from them each time they occur.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for that advice. I will try it tonight. I’m really looking forward to bedtime. I’m shattered.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi again! So yes this is very common and often to be expected. It is usually a case of getting used to the new pattern which then allows the body to get into more of a longer sleep as time goes on.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

I hope you have a restful sleep tonight

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Me too. Thanks again

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Thanks for a good, chatty discussion tonight! That's all for this session – look forward to speaking to you again soon…

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

You're welcome :)

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks again Dr Creanor, that's very reassuring to know! Have a good night!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you, they are suggestions worth trying.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Creanor.

It's reassuring to know that I'm not doing the wrong thing.

Return to top