Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 30th August 2017

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 30th August, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 23 Aug 2017 at 10:33 PM
  • 45 comments
  • 12 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

It can be difficult learning and applying new information when we are sleep deprived. The idea is that each week, new techniques are taught and these are practised thereafter, leading to an accumulative array of different techniques to use when required. It may help to write these down in the form of a 'cheat-sheet' as we know that memory doesn't work quite as well when we aren't sleeping well.

• Sleepio Member

• 57 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

'cheat-sheet' – please enlighten me :)

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Oh no, sorry this happened, how frustrating. I'm guessing you may be in the USA...I believe there are fellow Americans out there…

• Sleepio Member

• 110 comments
    • 32 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr Creanor, I'm signing off now – sleep window starts in 10 minutes!

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Sorry – I just mean a sheet which helps you to remember the different techniques rather than holding them in your head. Nothing fancy – just a list in bullet point form may do the trick and take the stress out of having to hold them in your head. Over time, they will come more naturally…

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

sleep well…

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Sorry – just realised you're in Australia…!

• Sleepio Member

• 57 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. There are quite a few new techniques each week. Do you recommend we get each technique under our belt before starting the following session, or just get through sessions as quickly as possible?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi thanks for your question. I do believe over time that those who have experience poor sleep can establish a natural sleep again. It takes time, though. It may also be the case that the generalised anxiety is driving some of the worry re sleep, so it would be wise to keep an eye on this and seek support as appropriate. But although it seems as though it will never change, I have known people to come through insomnia and sleep well after techniques were put in place. Just remember, it is the anxiety about not sleeping well that often drives our worries at night time…when we experience longer periods of sleeping well, we have less to worry about as night time approaches, so the mind naturally settles.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Unfortunately there's not an easy answer to that as everyone is different and some need a more gradual pace. If you would like to pause the programme to get a handle on some techniques, you can email the team to request this with a note about why this may be helpful. I'm sure this would be OK. Their email is hello@sleepio.com

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there – it is the case that the body will compensate for nights of poorer sleep on subsequent nights by making up for the parts of sleep that were previously lost. So one can find that if routines are inconsistent, then sleep can be, too. In order to even things out, it's good practice to stick to routine as much as possible – consistent bedtimes and rise times…and exercise, if it make you feel more ready for sleep, may be something to build into a daily routine as much as possible.

• Sleepio Member

• 57 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Creanor, that is helpful. Can it be that trying to implement monitoring and other techniques can adversly affect sleep by increasing anxiety? I'm sure this will improve once I get the balance right!

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

It can definitely be the case that taking on new information can be anxiety-provoking, but a lot of the time, it's about challenging the anxious thoughts and replacing them with ones such as, “this is new, it will be tricky at first to get my head around this and that is to be expected – everyone will feel the same at the start – but I know that in time things will become easier after a bit of practise”...you are not alone :)

• Sleepio Member

• 57 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Creanor!

• Sleepio Member

• 57 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Do these live discussions happen every week?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

yes they do – sometimes the time varies but always Wednesday evenings (UK time)

• Sleepio Member

• 57 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Great! Thank you. :)

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Just a few minutes left of the session if anyone has a final question?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

That's all for tonight – thanks for the questions and speak to you again soon…

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks so much for your reply Dr Creanor, that's good too know.

Return to top