Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 2nd June 2021

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 2nd June 2021, from 8.15pm to 9.45pm British Time or 3.15pm to 4.45pm US Eastern Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 27 May 2021 at 7:37 PM
  • 7 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi, just looking for some support because I am still deeply struggling (I am a course graduate). I feel I have stuck to the program with the exception of needing to put the GHR into better, consistent practice. I still wake multiple times through the night and never, ever wake feeling refreshed. Sleep starts off OK, but then it seems like I get awake and the rest of the night is a wash. I'm very frustrated and I feel helpless. The lack sleep is causing me to have a very dark, low mood and I have no energy for life. Can you please offer some reassurance or guidance? It's hard to stay positive and I feel like things will never change…

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi and welcome to today's live webchat. I'm Dr Vicki Creanor, a clinical psychologist with a special interest in sleep and I'll be here for the next 90 mins to answer any Qs you may have about sleep. It looks quiet tonight but if anyone is on live and wishes to ask something, I'd love to hear from you!

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Silveraven,

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling just now. Lack of sleep – or consistently disrupted sleep – is a major contributor to low mood, so it makes perfect sense that you are feeling low just now. When our mood is low, it can also have an effect on sleep, so it can become a bit of a tricky cycle. There are a number of reasons our sleep can be broken. It might be due to lifestyle (alcohol consumption, caffeine consumption, lack of exercise during the day, eating close to bedtime, taking naps during the day, not getting enough daylight). It could also be due to medication – some have side effects that disrupt sleep. It could also be due to underlying physical or mental health difficulties. And sometimes, it's a issue with the environment (room is too hot/cold/noisy/bright/uncomfortable). In any case, when we feel helpless and hopeless and are having mood difficulties, it is really important to seek one-to-one support with a health professional who can talk through what is going on and offer you help and advice. As Sleepio is a remote service, with us being spread all over the world, it's important to advise that you speak to someone local such as your family doctor/GP.

It is worth checking in on whether any of these factors above might be contributing, but I would recommend seeking one-to-one support. Often once the cause is identified, the sleep problem can be resolved.

I hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

hi, i’m new to this program on my first week. my sleep routine at night has been taking my sleeping pills and falling asleep in front of a netflix movie. i’m working with a sleep doctor because those pills no longer work but i need help with rebound insomnia. i listen to an audio book on my ipad to help me fall asleep and when i wake up throughout the night, i turn the audiobook on again and again. do you recommend doing that and is there any audio program specifically designed to help you fall asleep

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi and welcome to Sleepio! I hope you are finding the programme helpful so far. I don't see any problem with using an audiobook to help you fall asleep, as long as you fall asleep within 15 mins each time you switch it on. If it grips you too much, this can cause issues. But in general, listening to something that can block out external noise and hep you relax is, in my book, a good thing. In terms of specific audio programmes designed to help with sleep, there are many on the market as part of apps, but I haven't listened to any so can't recommend one in particular. If this one you listen to works, I'd stick with it.

Good luck with the rest of the programme :)

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Any burning Qs out there? It's very quiet today…

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

That's all for this evening folks – very quiet tonight so hope that means everyone is doing well. Speak again soon! Vicki

Return to top