Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 2nd July

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 2nd July 8.15pm-9.45pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 26 Jun 2014 at 4:20 PM
  • 58 comments
  • 12 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Yes thanks I got the other post – that was helpful. It could be just that, if you have exhausted everything and do not feel anxious about waking every 2 hours, it may just be that this is your sleep pattern. Everyone is different. Good sleepers usually wake twice a night too. I don't know your age (and you don't have to say) but as we age, our sleep does alter a bit and we sometimes need less in later life.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I sometimes get up and sometimes listen to the music or diwnload in bed. I use the music if i feel my mind id being too active and then i listen to simon and garfunkel softly as it switches me off. Have tried saying 'the' as recommended but coukdnt keep it up ss mind kept wandering
    Will lookat thought challenge again. Dont think anxious about sleep but do push myself with lots of activities and think maybe too overstimulated! But still not sure why this would make me wakeup so frequently. I am doing the putting the day to rest which is a good idea

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I am 58, retired, work one day a week and lots of hobbies and holidays
    I agree that this might be what i have to accept!
    Do you think i should persevere with the sleep deprivation? Should i go for a smaller window?
    Do appreciate your advice, thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Housemartin. Yes – lack of deep sleep has been found to be associated with poorer daytime functioning and things like memory and concentration. We tend to get our deep sleep early in the night. The techniques used in sleepio are to target all stages of sleep, including deep sleep. There are interesting articles on this in the library that go into a bit more depth.

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks for that. I will have another look at the library.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

The sleep restriction is important, yes, as it really is a good way to increase your efficiency. I would also aim to get out of bed to listen to the download/music as it can weaken your mind's association between sleep and your bed if you stay in bed for any period while awake. Even if it's relaxing for you. It could be that you have done so much during the day that you are over-stimulated? You may want to do a bit of trial and error to test that out?

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thanks
    Will try the music out of bed and have a few days of being less active to see if it helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi won052 – congratulations on completing the programme! It's important to normalise this a bit as good sleepers also have the odd night where sleep isn't as good. You will be sensitive to any changes in sleep as you have experienced poor sleep, however try to remember this is normal. However, what you can do is keep a diary of what goes on on the days and nights you do have that odd poor sleep. What's different? Is there a pattern? Is your diet different? are you thinking about things that require more thought or that you can't work out as well? You may discover something that is easily targeted.

As for the reading in bed, some people think this is OK, others disagree. If this is what leads to a poor night for you, I guess you know your answer :) if not, it may not affect you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hope that helps, Olwen.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for suggestions. Will persevere and if improves will let you know.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi enfys I'm afraid I don't know much about these tracking devices so am unable to offer any opinion on them. Sorry I can't help.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Great – all the best.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for those replies Dr, enjoyed it. I'll work on why my goals aren't as good as my sleep efficiency. Good night.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Alangb1,
    Sounds like you've had a rough few months.
    Sleepio targets onset insomnia (inability to get to sleep quickly) and maintenance insomnia (inability to stay asleep). CBT (on which sleepio is based) is very effective in treating both. The way onset insomnia is treated is by restricting sleep to make sure there is a lot of sleep pressure to fall asleep, by putting the day to rest via wind down routines and also by making sure that your mind associates your bed with sleeping (this is where the quarter hour rule comes in)

As for alcohol, it's really not great for sleep. Even if you fall asleep quicker, it often affects the depth of our sleep and how well we stay asleep that night and possibly subsequent nights.

Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining us today theresa. all the best with that task.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

That's the end of our session today – thanks for keeping it busy and for all the great questions and comments. See you soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Night to everyone on line!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

It was my GP that referred me to this website. He just says to me there is no one I can be referred to; that there are no sleep consultants I can speak to. I am currently operating on 53 hours without sleep and I am in a considerable amount of discomfort and pain. I just want to be my old normal self again. I just don't know what to do with myself

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hello Kevin. I have not been in the situation where I've not slept for up to 53 hrs but I do know the feelings you must be having, it's horrible to feel the way you do right now and not know what to do. If your feeling very low then that's defiantly something he can help you with but also you could see another GP for advice and maybe start some form of CBT face to face. I have searched the internet for sleep clinics and have seen various ones, maybe this could help. How long have you been doing Sleepio ? I'm in week 3 and finding sleep restriction very hard. I wish you all the best and hope this helps a little..

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Hello Kevin 5. I think that Dr Creanor may have gone off line just before you posted your last comment so did not reply. I would suggest starting today with finding a new doctor if at all feasible. If you are in the UK the heading 'changing a GP' on the following link explains that you have a right to change your GP without giving a reason. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/healthcare_e/healthcare_nhs_healthcare_e/nhs_patients_rights.htm#h_right_to_a_gp. Other than that keep doing the sessions and stay in touch with the community on the main posting pages and you will at least have people to give you support and encouragement, and maybe some tips that will work for you. I wish you the very best.

Return to top