Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 28th February 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 28th February, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 11:42 AM
  • 43 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

HI thanks for your question – an interesting point! Sleep restriction (SR) aims to help people to sleep when they are in their beds and avoid any periods where one is in bed but struggling to sleep. So, if a good solid sleep is usually achieved, it may not be as important a strategy for that person. However, if one is up once a night for more than 15 mins, it would still be a helpful strategy to practice. Likewise, if there are periods that one 'doses' and sleeps on or has a lie in (even at the weekend), it may also be helpful to get sleep into a regular pattern whereby anytime in bed is spent solely sleeping (with the exception of sexual activity). Hope that makes sense?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hello and thanks for getting in touch. Although it's difficult to say too much without knowing more detail here, what we do know is that factors such as stress and low mood are associated with poorer deep sleep, as well as behaviours such as napping during the day. If one naps, then it tends to take longer to get into deep sleep and one may not stay in that phase for as long as they usually would. It could also, however, be medication related. It would probably be worth taking the results of the study to your local medical doctor/GP to discuss this with them, as they'll have your full medical history.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi – I've spoken to quiet a number of people with sleep tracking devices now and they do all vary between devices but also within the same device in terms of different settings! I have heard some people note that there are sensitivity settings and this can change the output? What can happen sometimes is that, if someone lies very still and yet is awake, it can record the period as asleep as there is no movement. Worth having a look at the settings, but if in doubt, record in the sleep diary what you believe happened from your point of view.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

thanks for your help re this – yes it does seem to be a settings issue at times!

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    Thanks for getting touch. Please see my earlier comment about medication advice – I'm sorry but we cannot comment on medication as per our policy to ensure client safety.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Thanks for your question. It won't affect the strategies offered but it could affect a calculation of other sleep-related info that is used in the programme – if you email hello@sleepio.com and explain the problem, someone will be able to help you with this.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi there – so sorry to hear you're struggling with tinnitus. I wonder if you have looked at the autogenic training download in your case file? It is a relaxation strategy that often helps people with chronic physical pain to relax and re-focus away from their pain. I wonder if it may have a similar benefit to those with a sensory difficulty such as tinnitus? It can be used before going to bed or in bed (provided it is briefer than 15 mins).

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi there – it's more a gradual dropping off as the brain waves change from wakefulness to sleep. For good sleepers, the trigger is usually the various factors they associate with sleep (bedroom, bed, smells around them, the feeling on the sheets etc). This is what we try and reconnect poor sleepers with throughout the programme so that the bedroom/bed starts to promote sleep as opposed to building anxiety at bedtime (which occurs due to learning after a period of poor sleep).

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi there. It may be worth going back to the start of all the strategies and taking them one by one to see what may be causing this. Also keeping a note of the differences in sleep length, daytime activity every day to see if there is something that either promotes or reduces sleep on the alternate days. It could also be that this pattern has been experienced before and is now anticipated, so that it occurs in a self-fulfilling manner? So there may be more feelings of relaxation and an expectation of good sleep one night (which will help sleep), but the next there is anticipatory anxiety and this may lead to poor sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi there – I wonder if there has been confusion about the timing of the session? It didn't start until 8.15pm British time but I see you were online this morning? Hopefully you can see the answers OK now and we hope to see you in a future session.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

15 mins left of the live session if anyone has any more questions they'd like to ask?

• Sleepio Member

• 20 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Yes, I can see that may be the case. Tonight I expect to get some sleep which of course is positive. I will take more note of my daytime activities, although I have tried that before and it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference. Thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

What might be more helpful, if activities have been noted before, is to note emotions and behaviours each night – during the day and into the evening…this may help indicate whether this is something at play that makes the difference….

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I go to bed about the same time every night and fall asleep straight away; my problem is that I wake up for no reason any time between 2-4am but I can't go back to sleep, so I get up for a few hours then go back to sleep when I can (this may be 2pm for an afternoon nap). I can put up with this on days off, but I work part time and it plays havoc with working Monday to Thursdays and has been happening for more than 10 years….I believe I need more than a few hours sleep at a time. What's the answer because this Sleepio recording is not helping at all and I am thinking I am wasteing my time

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have absolutely no problem with going to sleep when I go to bed each night – the problem is I wake up after a few hours but THEN cannot go back to sleep. I am not worried about anything, I don't dwell on anything, there is no noise or light waking me but I am just WIDE AWAKE and cannot go back to sleep ….. until it's time to get get up and go to work so I have to stay awake!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have absolutely no problem with going to sleep when I go to bed each night – the problem is I wake up after a few hours but THEN cannot go back to sleep. I am not worried about anything, I don't dwell on anything, there is no noise or light waking me but I am just WIDE AWAKE and cannot go back to sleep ….. until it's time to get get up and go to work so I have to stay awake!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

Hi there – thanks for getting in touch. Rather than one simple answer to this, it's about taking the sleep pattern apart a little, which the course will help people to do, to look at new ways to approach sleep. Naps tend to be something we suggest people do not do, as the body needs to build up pressure to help them sleep right through each night. This is only one part of the course, however. I see you are at session 1, so there will be a few weeks' worth of helpful techniques that will target the common problem you mention of wakening up through the night and finding it hard to get back to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2622 comments
    • 417 helped
    Expert

That's all for tonight – thanks for all the great questions and I will speak to you again soon.

Return to top