Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 27th February

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 27th February 7pm-8pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 21 Feb 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 57 comments
  • 22 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thanks laureloakwood,

Yes, I stick to my window even at weekends. Getting up at regularly at 7 was something I found very hard to do pre Sleepio and I don't want to fall into bad habits again. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up though as sometimes I really feel like just switching off the alarm, closing my eyes again and forgeting I'd even heard of Sleepio!

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for that, I intend to follow it up but don't expect to understand genetics!

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi grumpy imp,

It's interesting that you feel a slump in the middle of the day. This is very common and most people find that this happens to them. In fact, it is due to our natural sleep rhythms. In some countries, this is when they take a siesta! Unfortunately most of our bosses wouldn't allow this here…

Yes you could try caffeine or certain activities around these times to see if it would help. It is definitely wise to cut out caffeine close to bed time, though, but ok to use it at other times, just not in excess.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dream on,

Did you read the article yesterday on the BBC news site on poor sleep and its effects on the body?

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi ellenmarie,

It is true that sleep problems can have a negative impact on health in general, but as for fertility I am not aware of the research around this. It may be worth speaking to the IVF professionals as it is likely some of them will be aware of the research in this area. Good luck with the treatment.

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

It is that the early morning seems such an attractive time, fresh and more birds singing. I would get more daylight. Also the sun disappears behind trees from my garden about 4.00pm. So more vitamin D. I would want to go to bed earlier, instead of post midnight.
    And I would want to get up!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr Creanor, I've just finished lesson 3. I'm wondering why is reading so bad, i.e. not passive, to do as part of the wind-down routine? I have regularly read before turning out my light and find it helps me to relax. If I were to watch TV, as is one of the suggested relaxation activities, what about the effects of staring at a bright screen? I thought that was supposed to interfere with normal sleep. In fact, the past 2 weeks, I have avoided watching any TV for at least an hour and a half before bed, thinking I was dong a good thing!

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Creanor,

I've heard that drinking a coffee before a 20 minute power nap can be very beneficial so I might give that a go. I've been avoiding napping since starting Sleepio, not that I used to do it much as I'd heard it was bad for nightly sleep.

I'm not ready to throw the towel in on CBT/Sleepio just yet but it is so hard not to feel negative.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Ah I see! Well I suppose with summer coming in, even if you are a night owl, you will be able to see the sun rising eventually in mid summer once you've stayed up til the wee hours! Vitamin d is an issue in darker countries…in fact many people take supplements now for that very reason. Once your sleep ison track, you could experiment with shifting your sleep window, but be careful not to mess up a good pattern after all the hard work.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

It is hard having to get up early on the weekends, but it won't hurt to allow yourself a bit of a lie-in once in a while!
    It is all about your own well-being after all & if you feel you really need a little bending of the rules occasionally, then it is your choice.

• Sleepio Member

• 20 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Sleep tight everyone!

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

I think you're being very honest. Working on your sleep is a long, very difficult process. The community here may help to build your confidence up and stay positive about the benefits that will come with time.

• Sleepio Member

• 1323 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Well thanks for your company tonight everyone…and for your questions. Even though it was quiet, there were lots of good ones. See you next time, sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight everyone, sleep well! xx

Goodnight Dr Creanor, thank you,

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Thanks again Dr Creanor and Laureloakwood,

Night night everyone!

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Bryan, there is now an NHS programme running in localities where by CBT is being made more avilable. I know this because I got a referral for panic attacks. I had to wait about 3 months but had an earlier 2 appointments with a psychologist for diagnosis for CBT suitability. I'm very impressed. When I find the name of the programme I will tell you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

No. I will look it up though Grumpy. Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I find the tremendous variability difficult… some nights of good sleep then another night when I don't seem to be tired at all and get little sleep… any thoughts?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am just completing week 3, saw my sleep doc yesterday. The prof has me on a down at midnight, up at 6 regimen. I have been off any sleep aids since starting the program. I am not waking with refreshing sleep in spite of having some nights at 70% sleep efficiency. I still enter “poor” on my rating even though sleep efficiency is up. What am I to understand here that i am not? Thx for the advice….

• Sleepio Member

• 703 comments
    • 235 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dream on. Did not get back from my run until late so did not log on. Guess you have to be online to have your questions asked.

Return to top