Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 27th December 2017

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 27th December, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 4:45pm US Eastern Standard Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 20 Dec 2017 at 9:39 PM
  • 21 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi I'm away from home at the moment and unable to keep to the routine, or fill in my sleep diary every day. Is it possible please to stop the reminders coming, and for me to start again in a week's time? Thank you, and best wishes,

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

My neighbour upstairs can disturb my R.E.M. sleep in the morning when she uses the bathroom. I either wake up and then fall asleep again quickly thankfully or I am half aware of disturbance while i’m dreaming. Long term will this have a detrimental effect on my wellbeing as I thought R.E.M. sleep is the time we process information from our lives? I am thinking of practicing noise disensitisation to help combat the problem. Has anyone had similar experiences? What did you do? Thanks in advance.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I can see from my fitbit that I generally have between 50 mins and 1 hr 30 mins of deep sleep a night but I have no ideas whether or not this is in the average range. It does not feel like it. Suspect probs with temperature control [ too hot/too coldl/too hot] wakes me from light or REM sleep and disrupts sleep cycles. Ideas?

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Doctor
    Encountered a setback. Saw a program in which a sleep expert came on. She gave the following tip: 1) When you go to sleep; think to yourself I am going to enjoy this. Plan to to relax not sleep.
    I set out to do this and my insomnia returned with a vengeance. For the past 2 days have not been able to get to sleep until about 6 am
    Really frustrated.

Regards

Sag

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi

I'm not in the country on a different time zone (GMT+2). I started the schedule on this time zone although with the holidays and all the family activities it's difficult but I'm keeping up. However I'm in my 3rd week and have now a fixed schedule to sleep 7:45h. The issue is i always start to get really sleepy around noon and get more and more sleepy in the evening, it gets to be so bad that i can barely keep my eyes open for any activity. When the time to sleep comes i fall asleep almost instantly I'm that tired, then struggle to wake up in the mornijg and still feel tired. Can i sleep more than 7:45h?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi all and welcome to the live Sleepio session. I'll answer the questions waiting however if anyone is joining us live and wishes to ask something else, please post here!

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there and thanks for your question. It is a personal choice as to what techniques people use during their time using Sleepio. The sleep restriction technique is usually very effective in terms of helping people to get their sleep into one long chunk during the night and reducing frequent night time wakenings. It is, however, the technique most people get most anxious about. We are asked many questions about it because it seems counter intuitive, however the science says it works so we include it for that reason. However people need to do what they feel works for them. Sometimes working on anxiety outwith Sleepio can be helpful if people feel it is at a higher level than they can manage; using the thought challenging technique may also help people with their anxious thoughts.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there – if you email hello@sleepio.com they will be able to help with this request.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi there – it may be interesting to hear from others what they do in this situation as you suggested, but what I would say is that for those who are disturbed by neighbours during the night, playing white noise in the bedroom throughout the night or wearing earplugs may help. Noise desensitisation may also work but takes a lot more preparation.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Sorry meant to reply to the other part of your post…information is processed all through the night so I wouldn't worry too much about being disturbed at a particular time.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I can see from my fitbit that I generally have between 50 mins and 1 hr 30 mins of deep sleep a night [gen. around 1 hr] but I have no idea whether or not this is in the average range. It does not feel like it. Suspect probs with temperature control [ too hot/too coldl/too hot] wakes me from light or REM sleep and disrupts sleep cycles. Ideas/

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi thanks for your question. It is hard to say exactly what a person's average length of deep sleep is per night because it will depend on what they are doing during the day and how much deep sleep they had the previous night. Sleep is what we call 'homeostatic' – it adjusts itself to make sure we have enough of each type of sleep, so if a lot of deep sleep was had the night before or during a nap, less will be needed that night, but if less deep sleep occurs one night, the body will go into more deep sleep the next night. Hope that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

No idea how this discussion page works by the way.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Thanks. With regard to temperature control, I obviously throw off duvet etc when hot but then become too cold. Is there a way of making your body's temperature regulation more efficient in general?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi – I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. The point the expert was probably trying to make was that, if we go to bed and think about sleeping, it will usually be the case that we don't sleep well as we are focussing on the sleep more than we should be. Good sleepers do not focus on sleep when they retire to bed – it just happens to them. So if we focus elsewhere, it is usually better for us. What might be helpful in cases where sleep is not happening until the early hours is making sure the bedtime routine is set and that any sleep-related thoughts are challenged during the day to help reduce them at night time. Using the 'the the' technique may also hep to keep the mind off sleep once in bed.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

It is just a case of people asking me questions about the course or sleep in general and me responding to them within a 90 minute window – it looks as though you are able to see the posts ok?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

This is a complex question because we need to think of all the things that make people's temperature vary in a night – sometimes it is internal factors (hormones, illness, medication) and sometimes external (environmental, heat from bed partner) – this would be the first thing to try and identify then changes could be looked at.

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Hi – well done first of all for keeping to the routine even in the holidays! That can be hard! It is up to people what they sleep as we try not to be prescriptive about it, however there is a recommendation that people only increase their sleep window when they have achieved 90% efficiency based on the calculations in the sleep diary. To help stay awake during the day, people often use a little caffeine (although not too much and usually not after lunchtime), getting lots of fresh air when tired and getting sunlight (which can be tricky in winter!).

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

Just 20 mins left of the session if anyone has any further questions?

• Sleepio Member

• 2510 comments
    • 384 helped
    Expert

That's all for today – thanks for the questions and I will speak to you again soon.

Return to top