Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 27th August

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 27th August, 8.15pm-9.45pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 21 Aug 2014 at 3:09 PM
  • 47 comments
  • 19 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Alangb1 thanks for your question. Again, it's tricky to say exactly without knowing more detail, however it would be helpful if you kept a diary and recorded what was going on in your life for a few weeks. This would possibly throw up some pattern of life events impacting on sleep. As for feeling good after little sleep, some people don't need as much sleep and if you have a good quality of deep sleep, this is likely to make you feel quite refreshed.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi Vicki
    I have started sleep restriction about 5 days ago, and go to sleep around 12.30 then out of bed 6.00 every day. This has helped with the quality of sleep. However during the day I feel lethargic and tired. Not enough to want to nap. I just wanted to know, if after a year of deprived sleep and now things are getting better, do I have to catch up on sleep, hence the tiredness during the day?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Does anyone have any other questions or things they are struggling with? It's gone a bit quiet out there…

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

My other question is what can I do, if anything, to avoid getting up for a comfort break during the night

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi Norwegian, the best advice that is recommended is to reduce the amount of liquid consumed before bed – I assume you have already tried this? It may be that your body is naturally wakening at that time of night. Ask yourself if you do need to go to the loo or whether this has become habit. If it is just habit, it may be that, in time, you can just fall back asleep again without needing to get up. It is perfectly normal to wake once or twice during the night.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Makes sense. I have tended to have a glass of water before retiring so it sounds like that should stop. But how long before bed should I take my last drink?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Yes it's a good start. It's funny how habitual things can become like having water before bed, but I reckon this will help. I would say it's trial and error. You could start with 45mins before bed and then go to the loo before you retire so you're going to bed on an emoty bladder. If this isn't working, try extending it to an hour, and so on.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

*empty

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Ok. Then now it is time for bed here! Thanks for your feedback!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Vicki
    Not sure if you may have missed by question above? Many thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

My apologies, Conrad – I had missed it, sorry. I will answer it now…

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi again,
    It is unlikely that all of a sudden you're trying to catch up on a year's worth of poor sleep as your sleep improves. Our body tries to do this at the time (when it can) through our deep sleep. The tiredness may be due to a number of things and these vary from person to person. It may be that the deep sleep isn't as long as your body would like (if you find you wake up in the first third of the night). A way to help this is to find activities that stimulate you throughout the day, to try and keep you energised. Some people do use caffeine or energy drinks to do so, but make sure you don't overdo it on these as this can lead to too much stimulation at night. Exercise is also helpful to increase energy during the day. Hope this helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Thanks for joining us tonight, Norwegian.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

That's helpful thanks. I have a desk job and it's usually around mid afternoon I feel tired. Perhaps a half hours walk at lunch time would help?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Interestingly, this is the other time of day our body is 'supposed' to sleep – designed to sleep. It's why the siesta happens in Europe at that time, so you are definitely not alone. Most good sleepers also get the post-lunch sleepiness. A short walk is a great idea, and then perhaps a coffee or energy drink at the time you know you are about to get sleepy. Even doing small exercises instead of staying at your desk can help – making an excuse to get up out your seat every half hour is recommended by physiotherapists anyway, so it may help your sleepiness, too.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks for your advice Dr Vicki. Much appreciated. Conrad

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

You're welcome, Conrad.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

We have just 5 mins left tonight if anyone has a final question?

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

OK folks, nice chatting with you – see you again soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Vicki
    Was wondering as I am on week 2 of the program and I am doing it really tough with an average of 5 hours sleep per night. A doctor has prescribed HRT estrogen. Would you recommend I start now or wait after I have completed the sleep restriction stage. I am getting pretty desperate to improve my sleep quality. I have taken myself off mirtazapine 1/4 tablet and that is tough. I am not clinically depressed the Dr gave it to me about 5 years ago to help my sleep. I do not like the side affects and happy to stop.

Return to top