Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 25th July 2018

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 25th July, from 8:15 to 9:45pm British Time or 3:15 to 5:45pm US Eastern Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice, including that concerning medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 2:04 PM
  • 6 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

My sleep has gone downhill after a period of improvement. It's easy to get in the habit of using sleeping pills periodically. I am affected by menopausal cycles in a major way. I can also feel discouraged about my sleeping problems. Any suggestions about how to maintain a hopeful attitude about sleep improvement?
    Thanks. Joan

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Coaxed myself to ge to the park,second time for year, as kids off on holiday for a jog and work out on public gym. Felt somewhat exhausted. I usually workout when I feel good enough do you concur?

• Sleepio Member

• 2709 comments
    • 443 helped
    Expert

Hello and welcome to the live Sleepio discussion session. I will be here for the next 90 minutes to answer any questions about sleep or the Sleepio course…let's begin…

• Sleepio Member

• 2709 comments
    • 443 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi and thanks for getting in touch. It can be tricky to stay positive when things get tough – especially when we are also sleep deprived. Often what we find is that, even if people's sleep has improved (even if just by a little), blips and setbacks can feel overwhelmingly negative. I would always look at how sleep used to be before it improved and then note down any positive changes you can see from that time to now. When we feel negative, it's hard to remember the positive changes that have happened – by noting them down, we can always have a look at them when feeling discouraged.

• Sleepio Member

• 2709 comments
    • 443 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi there – there is lots of evidence out there now to suggest that exercise is strongly connected to our mood, so I would always recommend a regular exercise routine to maintain healthy mental health. Exercise is a helpful way to stay awake during the day when we feel sleepy after a bad night's sleep. It is also a good way to tire out the body for that night's sleep. The only time it's not too helpful is when strenuous exercise is done too close to bedtime as it stimulates the body too much. Hope that answers your question?

• Sleepio Member

• 2709 comments
    • 443 helped
    Expert

That's all for this evening folks – a very quiet session tonight! Speak to you again soon…

Return to top