Live Discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 23rd October 2019

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 23rd October, from 8.15pm to 9.45pm British Time or 3.15pm to 4.45pm US Eastern Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Creanor will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 17 Oct 2019 at 6:55 PM
  • 19 comments
  • 5 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

What do I do when British Summer Time ends and the clocks go back an hour, please? I'm just 4 weeks into the programme and don't want disaster to strike with bad sleeps again!
    Please can you advise?

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 3 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Olga, I've started each week adjusting my sleep window by 15 mins each week.
    Originally 11:45 – 7:15
    Then 12 – 7:30
    Now 12:15 – 7:45
    Next week 12:30 – 8
    When the clocks go back I will return to 12 – 7:30 and go from there depending how sleepy I feel.
    Not sure it will work but interesting to read the doctors suggestions, ideas.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Creanor,

I have been reading on the community threads about early waking but wondered if you could offer any more thoughts. My programme is going pretty well though since graduating I have slipped slightly with getting out of bed at my allotted time. This is partly because I am tending to wake early, around 5-5.45 when my get up time is 6.30 and if I drift back off to sleep around 6 or 6.15 I'm finding it hard to get up at 6.30. I don't always set an alarm due to not wanting to wake up my partner.

So, a few questions: what should I do if I wake up within an hour of my get up time? Still try to get back to sleep or get up and start the day? Should I try to set an alarm whatever? Should I change my sleep window to make it earlier (I also have trouble staying awake during my 'wind down' especially if that involves watching TV).

Many thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I have been taking a phenergen tablet some nights and I get a really good night's sleep so my scores go up which is false really. Does that matter? I still try to follow the advice of Sleepio. At least with the tablet I get back off to sleep when I wake in the night, often woken by my husband who gets out of bed to go to the loo or walk around. He then goes back to sleep and sometimes snores so without the tablet there is no way I can get back to sleep and my mind starts to race. If I get out of bed and go into another room to read I stay awake til getting up time. It doesn't make me sleepy. I would be grateful for any advice on these dilemmas.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Creanor

Making great progress 9.45pm (5 min im asleep)

Get up at 5.45 am

However i wake up every time at 2.30am for about 4 minutes .Is that cortisol or low sugar or psychological ?????? Im 62 (fit/ no alcohol /good diet etc /

Sometimes i go to the toilet at 2.30am

Thanks

Kev

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Wishing you all the luck, I guess we will all find out how thats going to work.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

This week has been rough, I have been having CPap problem that I can't fix myself. To much pressure just abouts blows my mask off and the machine is so noise. I was doing really well with the program now I have fallen back. I hope i can get this fixed soon, but alway depending on doctors for help and sometime they are to busy.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

If my rising time is 5.15 but I just sit up in bed relaxing with a book and get up up at 7.00 or fall asleep till 6.15 does that make any difference as I still associate my bed with relaxation?

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi all and welcome to tonight's live Sleepio discussion session. I'm Dr Vicki Creanor and I'm a clinical psychologist with a special interest in sleep psychology. I'll be here for the next hour and a half to answer any questions as best I can. Let's get started…

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there – thanks for your help with your fellow Sleepio community member's query. This is a great way to go with helping the body to adjust to the time change. I see you've done this weekly. Others may just be starting to think about it this week, but we can also adjust the sleep window by 15 mins per night as well as per week. Doing this gradual approach is often a good way to cope with the time change, as opposed to a sudden hour's change.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Guest
    Expert

Thank you for getting in touch. It's a really tricky thing, trying to recover from your own sleep problems when your bed partner is restless/noisy, or simply if they have normal tossing and turnings through the night that we're highly sensitive to.

Because of the relationship focus, it's always a sensitive and personal journey for each individual couple about how to tackle this in a way that works best for them. However some things that may help while you continue to recover from sleep problems might include having separate beds but next to each other to start with, so you are close but less affected by movement. In terms of snoring, using white noise either through earphones or simply playing in the room may also help. Using a relaxation exercise before bed can also encourage deeper sleep so that you are less likely to be woken up by his movements. I hope these suggestions help – it can be very tricky.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi and thanks for your questions.

So, first of all, if one wakes up within an hour of their scheduled wake up time, it's a good idea to see if sleep will happen again initially. The QHR should still be used at this point, even although this can seem frustrating. It's about forming good habits, though and helping strengthen the bed-sleep connection. If it is just before the wake-up time though, as in 5 mins before, there is little point in falling back to sleep again.

I would encourage people to set an alarm, yes, to ensure that the wake-up time is consistent across all mornings. There is a possibility of sleeping in otherwise.

You can indeed experiment with changing your sleep window to make it earlier – this may help you achieve a longer sleep if you tend to waken earlier in the morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there. Sorry for delay – my response just deleted itself there…

In terms of the meds being used, the main thing is to ensure you know how to utilise the techniques for times when the meds may not be used. Don't worry too much about the accuracy of the diary data in these circumstances. If you feel that something is being calculated incorrectly and adjustments are being made in a way you feel is not an accurate picture, you can adjust this yourself or contact the team.

You may find the recommendations I made above to another community member helpful re bed partners keeping us awake at night when you are not using the meds.

Lastly, if reading is stimulating you too much during the QHR, it's likely you need to find another activity. Some people simply sit when they are implementing the QHR, so they find themselves getting sleepy doing nothing.

Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Well done on this progress – glad to hear you're doing so well!

What wakes us varies wildly from person to person so it's not really possible to say without knowing anything about the full context here. But you mention the toilet – it may be that this is what is waking you each night. Men often find that this is the case when they get into their 60s. Being awake for a few minutes during the night is OK, though – the main thing is managing to fall asleep again fairly quickly, which you are doing by the sounds of it. It may help to avoid fluids an hour before bedtime (unless medically advised to have them) and to go to the loo just before bed.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling with your CPAP machine. My advice here would be to go back to whomever provided it in the first place and request support in using this so it is comfortable and working properly. This is likely just a blip – we all have them – it doesn't necessarily mean it's back to square one in terms of progress. Try and focus on the things that are still improved from when you started this work to help stay motivated. I hope you get the help you need with your machine.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

Hi there. Yes, I'm afraid this makes quite a bit of difference. We are not aiming to associate the bed with relaxation, but with sleep. Any activity, therefore, that is done in bed (with the exception of sexual activity) other than sleep is weakening this bed-sleep connection. This is why the recommendation is to get up at the time of the wake-up time each morning and to avoid doing anything else in bed that is not sleep. Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

15 mins left of this live discussion if anyone else has any burning questions….

• Sleepio Member

• 3131 comments
    • 555 helped
    Expert

That's all for this evening. Thanks for the questions and I look forward to speaking to you again soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Vicki

Return to top