Live discussion with Dr Vicki Creanor - 23rd July

Dr Creanor will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 23rd July, 8.15pm-9.45pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 17 Jul 2014 at 1:42 PM
  • 55 comments
  • 11 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Mrs_DM thanks for your question. Indeed it is possible to pause Sleepio if required for medical/health reasons and at times it may be important to do so. In treating insomnia (or any mental health problem), it is always important to treat the underlying problem first. It sounds as if the depression is the primary problem (underlying one that was present first) so we would recommend having this treated first as you may find that when this is treated, so is the sleep. You can still implement sleepio techniques even when you are finished the treatment for depression as it will keep your sleep on track.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Yes try not to get overwhelmed by all the things people are talking about here – take it one session at a time and don't try anything that's not been taught to you yet through sleepio. And yes I'm afraid naps are not helpful when we are trying to increase sleep efficiency as we try to squeeze all sleep into nighttime so that this sleep is most efficient.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Great advice!
    And guess I have to put off my napping!

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

I'm afraid so, won052 – it's important to only sleep within the sleep window. I wonder if anyone has any tips for making sure won052 doesn't sleep past the sleep window?

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Would love to help with suggestions but I don't know as yet what's understood by “sleep window”... I'm being patient as I learn – not being so anxious and as you say..not getting overwhelmed.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Hi Laconian, sounds like you have a lot of stressful things going on right now. Sometimes it is the case that it is not the right time for treatment. This may be what your psychiatrist is suggesting – it may be wise to wait until things settle a bit and then look at starting the regime. You can certainly learn the techniques now and put into use later.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

It's easy to do, lolita. Sleep window is the time that you will be 'allowed' to sleep once a calculation has been done that works out how long you tend to sleep for each night. So if you sleep for 6 hours a night, but in bits and pieces, it is all put together in your 'sleep window' from, for example, 1am til 7am. I won't say too much more as it's better you learn as you go, but just so you know what people are talking about!

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Hi CSleepio, thanks for your question. It is recommended that you stick to the same sleep window even at weekends. It is only when you increase your efficiency that you can increase the sleep window so I would really recommend that you do not snooze, as hard as this is, as it will likely damage your efficiency.

Hope that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for the clarification; it gives me an idea of what a “sleep window” might be…
    I'm sure I'll be learning more that just good sleeping habits by the sound of things…good job I was always a good student…this course sounds pretty challenging!

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Wow! it does sound challenging..the not sleeping outside that window!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Hi SleeplessinSydney,
    Thanks for you post. It sometimes will take quite a while for your sleep pattern to get back on track. If you think of it, the poor pattern has been 'learned' for quite a while so it will take a while to 'unlearn'.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – the therapy on which sleepio is based – has lots of evidecne behind it which suggests that we have to make our environment as optimal as possible to enable sleep. If you are being stimulated via the radio programme, it is likely that your mind is wakening itslef up rather than being ready and optimal for sleep, so that's why it would be recommended to find another way of relaxing if you do get up for the quarter hour rule – one that doesn't stimulate you as much.

Hope that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Hi FredHK – you're right – the mind and body are very much connected. Sleepio will tackle this issue in a few sessions' time for you – it will help you look at how to challenge these negative thoughts related to sleep and other issues.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Thank you, Dr. Vicki, for your time. Very grateful.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Hi colin99, thanks for your post. I'm a bit unsure if you mean the problems only resurfaced after you changed your evening routine or whether they haven't really shifted. If it's due to a changed routine, I would certainly look at the routine again and do a trial period of what works best for you as different things work better for different people. Also, it may be that work stress is affecting your sleep in more ways than you realise – anxiety can creep in and affect sleep in various ways. You might want to look at the challenging thoughts part of the programme again for any work-related thoughts so they do not affect you at night time. Hope that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Hi Muggsy, it sounds as if there is a lot of anxiety around what other people think of you having insomnia. A lot of energy is going into keeping it from them, which if you are a private person is important to you. However, perhaps it is worth asking yourself 'what is the worst that will happen if they know about my struggles with sleep?' It may be that you are putting a lot of energy into something that isn't as scary as you may think, once you think it through this way. It doesn't mean you have to tell your friends, it is just a way of thinking of the fear in its worst terms, as sometimes when we do this, it doesn't seem as scary and thus reduces the anxiety and energy we put into preventing certain events.

Hope that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Hi Laconian, usually these techniques are started when you need them (when your mind starts racing), however some people use them before that starts to prevent negative thoughts about sleep creeping in.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

Hi machado3 thanks for your post. It is recommended that you do not use an actual clock for the 15 minute rule – just your perception/guess of 15 mins. Unfortunately it's not recommended that you eat during the night as this may stimulate your body too much and not get it ready for sleep. Sorry to bring this bad news!! It is definitely hard but I'm sure your fellow sleepio classmates will agree that it is worth it when you stick to the techniques and see the results in the longer term.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Ooops! I thought you were gone, Dr. Vicki…
    I must comment on machado3's question and your response.
    My naturopath had recommended eating a few almonds in the middle of the night to get my glucose level and cortisol levels balanced, so to speak. Sometimes “low blood sugar” levels can interfere with lack of sleep as well. It has worked for me. Am speaking bout the same thing?

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

I'm not sure about that as I'm not aware of the evidence about it. Interesting, though, thanks for raising this.

• Sleepio Member

• 1389 comments
    • 225 helped
    Expert

That's all for today/tonight – thanks for your posts and company. See you soon.

Return to top